PDA

View Full Version : Resin Cast Pens

Goggomobile
10th August 2015, 09:04 PM
Hi all
Recently I did a rush order of some circuit board Sierra Pens.

I had problems and have in the past with small crack at the ends. Can be seen easier since the resin is clear.

I repaired with CA . Just wondering if there is some reason ?

Randal

dai sensei
10th August 2015, 11:33 PM
Tubes not clean, trimming ends with blunt tools, too much heat when finishing

Les in Red Deer
11th August 2015, 01:32 AM
When did they crack, before assembly or during assembly? Which ends cracked, finial end or nib end?

Les

Goggomobile
11th August 2015, 08:45 PM
Fellas

I noticed the cracks once I started fine sanding around 600 grit. So before assembly.

I also have a fine round file which I use to clean out othe barrel to remove left over glue.

I mainly use wet and dry sand paper with water so it doesn't get to hot and I don't get score marks

mmm I'm thinking excess heat when I sand off the bulk on the big orbital sander. .. I will look into this?..

Also, I do get a bit zealous when squaring off the barrel with the seating tool .. I use a cordless drill .. Maybe go back too doing it by hand ...

many thanks Randal

dai sensei
11th August 2015, 10:32 PM
[QUOTE=Goggomobile;1888304Also, I do get a bit zealous when squaring off the barrel with the seating tool .. I use a cordless drill .. Maybe go back too doing it by hand ...[/QUOTE]

I assume you mean an end mill, and yep probably blunt, I hate the dam things. Come around and I'll show you how to do it more easily and without worry.

Goggomobile
12th August 2015, 07:04 AM
Neil

will do ... I've got a few jobs up and down the coast so I'll give you a call.

Randal

Rum Pig
14th August 2015, 12:15 AM
Did you use a mandrel or between centers?