PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from northern rivers looking for advice

cog
12th August 2015, 06:47 PM
Hi, i have recently bought a second hand lathe and would like to start turning pens, problem is i haven't touched a lathe since school. I was wondering if there are classes on the northern rivers or somewhere i can buy the right gear and get the right advice. Thanks

dai sensei
12th August 2015, 08:13 PM
I'm not sure of pen turners down your way, nor clubs close by. But the Tweed Valley Woodcrafters are having an open day of sorts as part of the Tweed Valley Banana Festival at the Murwillumbah Showgrounds on the 25 August. They have many good pen turners at the club and I'll be there too give my support.

Christos
13th August 2015, 01:05 PM
I was like you not touched a lathe since I left school. So before I started turning I read and looked at every piece of information and video I could. I forunatue enought to visit with a turner to get a basic use of the turning tools.

Then I started by turning between centers making chips out of wood. You will find that it will be more comfortable the more you turn.

Then when I made my first pen I presented this to the forum so people could advise and comment. The nice thing about making a pen that is pressed fitted you can take it apart if you are not happy. Something I have done quite a few times. :U

In response to your question the most basic turning tool for just making pens is a roughing gouge. You would also need a pen mandle, to fit inside your lathe headstock(morse taper 1 or 2) and a live center to fit inside your tail stock(morse taper 1 or 2). The pen kit will determine the size of the drill bit, I would suggest a slimline kit to start with and glue. My preference is epoxy which I leave overnight to set.

Goggomobile
15th August 2015, 08:19 AM
cog

Great to hear you are back on the tools.

Happy to help. I do a lot of timber pens and some acryics.

I spent too many years reading books and looking at utube .. Should have joined a club.

I recently set up a mate at work ... I realised you need to walk people through the steps .. Pens are a lot of fun and people like hand made stuff.

I have plenty of good pen timber for give away if you need away

Randal