PDA

View Full Version : Silver ash chest finished

Rocker
27th July 2005, 12:48 PM
Here are some pics of my silver ash chest (see http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=19575 for the construction details), finished with 4 coats of Minwax satin wipe-on poly. I should have re-read the FW article on wipe-on finishes, and used their technique of applying more finish as dry spots appeared in the first coat, and wiping off the excess after 15 minutes. I wiped it off immediately, so there tended to be dry spots, and I had to apply four coats instead of three. But the finish brings out the curly grain in the timber nicely, I think; and the finish is very easy to apply.

Rocker

zenwood
27th July 2005, 01:23 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gifTwo thumbs up for that one Rocker. Beautiful result.

How are the handles done? Is there a recess underneath for grabbing onto?

AlexS
27th July 2005, 01:24 PM
That came up really well, Rocker, you must be very happy with the result. You've brought out the best in the timber, & the dovetail splines are an excellent functional & decorative feature.

The spalted silver ash on the side looks great - pity there wasn't more of it. I've never seen SA like that. The figure on the top & front has come up well too.

Rocker
27th July 2005, 01:45 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif
How are the handles done? Is there a recess underneath for grabbing onto?

Zenwood,

The drawer pulls are the same shape as the dovetail keys, and were routed with the same dovetail bit, but their edges were rounded over with a small round-over bit in the router table. I did not use the router-table's fence for the rounding over; I hand-held the workpiece and made climb cuts on the end-grain edges. With a larger-radius round-over bit, this would have been hazardous, but with a 3/32"-radius bit it seemed safe enough.

Rocker

keith53
27th July 2005, 01:47 PM
Very nice work. I like the way the grain really shows up.

zenwood
27th July 2005, 01:53 PM
The drawer pulls are the same shape as the dovetail keys... Nice touch, Rocker: unifies the various design elements.

Not being a routermaniac, I don't know what you mean by climb cutting the end-grain edges, but thinking about it, I'd have thought hand-held on pieces that small would be pretty hairy...?

I would have still thought about routing a recess underneath the pulls, so you didn't have to 'pinch' the handles so much, and it wouldn't affect the visual link between the handles and the mitre keys.

Rocker
27th July 2005, 04:19 PM
Zenwood,

Climb cutting is feeding the work piece the 'wrong' way in order to minimize tear-out. It requires that the workpiece be firmly grasped, since there is a tendency for the bit to grab it, unless the workpiece is fed steadily past the bit. With a small-radius round-over bit like the one I was using, there is no serious hazard in this procedure. At worst, the bit would only make a small nick in your finger if you were careless enough to be caught by it.

Rocker

jacko
27th July 2005, 06:40 PM
Rocker, once more a peice to be proud of and the rest of us to admire and envious. I just don't understand where you find all the time for the output that you have! I'm retired but after calls from SWMBO on time and effort, tennis, design etc, there does not seem to be eni=ough hours in a day.
jacko

Andy Mac
27th July 2005, 06:49 PM
Hey Rocker,

That's a very elegant piece, and I agree about the dovetail inserts...they set the whole thing off.
Love the silver ash.

Rocker
27th July 2005, 06:57 PM
Rocker, once more a peice to be proud of and the rest of us to admire and envious. I just don't understand where you find all the time for the output that you have! I'm retired but after calls from SWMBO on time and effort, tennis, design etc, there does not seem to be eni=ough hours in a day.
jacko

Jacko,

There you have it - I was careful to buy a place without a tennis court, so that I had plenty of time for woodworking. But, if the truth be told, I am too aged and decrepit to play tennis :) My rellies are all in England; so there is not much to distract me from the shed. I fear, however, that space constraints in the house may soon compel me to give up making large pieces of furniture. Perhaps I shall have to take a mistress; but then again, after reading Bec Cartwright's poem to Lleyton, maybe not.

Rocker

Peter36
27th July 2005, 08:36 PM
Jacko,

There you have it - I was careful to buy a place without a tennis court, so that I had plenty of time for woodworking. But, if the truth be told, I am too aged and decrepit to play tennis :) My rellies are all in England; so there is not much to distract me from the shed. I fear, however, that space constraints in the house may soon compel me to give up making large pieces of furniture. Perhaps I shall have to take a mistress; but then again, after reading Bec Cartwright's poem to Lleyton, maybe not.

Rocker
Spectacular result Rocker . The silver ash just seems to have an inner depth in the first pic . I wos going to post a greenie but I haven't spread enough around yet . How about a mistress that does'nt write poetry:D

Peter

MajorPanic
27th July 2005, 09:30 PM
Hey Rocker,

The chest looks fantastic & up to your usual high standards! http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

When are you gonna put that compressor & spray gun to use & do a sprayed lacquer finish???? :eek: :confused:

Auld Bassoon
27th July 2005, 09:37 PM
Here are some pics of my silver ash chest (see http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=19575 for the construction details), finished with 4 coats of Minwax satin wipe-on poly. I should have re-read the FW article on wipe-on finishes, and used their technique of applying more finish as dry spots appeared in the first coat, and wiping off the excess after 15 minutes. I wiped it off immediately, so there tended to be dry spots, and I had to apply four coats instead of three. But the finish brings out the curly grain in the timber nicely, I think; and the finish is very easy to apply.

RockerG'day Rocker!

That's definately one to be proud of. Lovely wood, and excellent craftsmanship from what I can see in the pics. Worth a green one mate!

Which I'll send when I've spread some more around (thus this edit...)

Cheers!

bitingmidge
27th July 2005, 10:01 PM
Once again Rocker, a triffic job! I don't know how you can let your bits out of your sight!

Don't worry about running out of things to do, if you get bored there's plenty to do round here!

Cheers,

P
:D

Harry72
27th July 2005, 11:00 PM
Top job Rock!

NewLou
27th July 2005, 11:03 PM
Yup as always High Standard Disiplined Work ..................... Another fine Piece Rocker!!!..............N I gotta admit Love the DoveTail Keys

REgards Lou

Different
28th July 2005, 10:28 AM
Wonderful work as usual!

Ross

junkboy999
28th July 2005, 08:29 PM
Another nice peice to add to your collection.

What makes that blue stain on the wood. I know I look for wood with marks in it to give my picture frames a different look

Rocker
28th July 2005, 09:00 PM
Junkboy,

The blue stain seems to be due to a fungal infection introduced by boring beetles, which attacked the tree while it was still alive.

Midge,

I might take you up on your suggestion of coming to your place to do some work, if you can suggest a suitably interesting and challenging project, like building a rocker, perhaps :)

Major,
I still haven't got spray equipment. I keep telling myself that I am not likely to build many more pieces of furniture, so it is not really worth investing in it. But somehow I keep on building just one more piece.

But, actually, Minwax wipe-on poly yields a finish that is very similar to that of lacquer, and is very easy to apply. I think I may well stick with that.

Rocker

Keith J
28th July 2005, 09:23 PM
Very nice, I like the dovetails and the fiddleback grain in the top and drawer fronts. It's a great feeling when it all comes together.

MajorPanic
28th July 2005, 09:37 PM
Junkboy,

The blue stain seems to be due to a fungal infection introduced by boring beetles, which attacked the tree while it was still alive.

Major,
I still haven't got spray equipment. I keep telling myself that I am not likely to build many more pieces of furniture, so it is not really worth investing in it. But somehow I keep on building just one more piece.

Rocker
"Bluestain fungi may invade the sapwood & outer hartwood of FELLED logs & sawn timber of both softwoods & hardwoods. The speed of attack can be very rapid in the warmer months & it is important that there be a minimum of delay between felling of the tree & it's seasoning if it is susceptible to infection."
From Wood in Australia
by K.R. bottle

hereward
23rd October 2011, 11:14 AM
Hello

I like your chest, very stylish.

I have done some work inlaying Blackwood into Kauri Pine and Finishing with Organoil.

The finish is very striking.

I have done the same thing using Silver Ash into Blackwood using Orgaoil.

The results are identical ie; the Silver Ash is the same colour as the Kauri Pine, what I would describe as Pine yellow.

Do you still belive Minwax is the best for Silver Ash?

Many thanks

Regards

Julian I Duxberry

Rocker
23rd October 2011, 12:38 PM
Julian,

I have not made any furniture for a few years now, so I am not up to date with the latest finishes. But I found Minwax very easy to apply, and it worked for me. But finishing was never my strong point.

Rocker

Woody1
23rd October 2011, 04:30 PM
Here are some pics of my silver ash chest (see Silver Ash chest of drawers- a two-month saga almost finished - Woodwork Forums (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=19575) for the construction details), finished with 4 coats of Minwax satin wipe-on poly. I should have re-read the FW article on wipe-on finishes, and used their technique of applying more finish as dry spots appeared in the first coat, and wiping off the excess after 15 minutes. I wiped it off immediately, so there tended to be dry spots, and I had to apply four coats instead of three. But the finish brings out the curly grain in the timber nicely, I think; and the finish is very easy to apply.

Rocker
Rocker
Very nice excellent workmanship