PDA

View Full Version : Shed for young men

MAPLEMAN
16th August 2015, 09:37 AM
So it seems 'Mens Sheds' were set up for for older men with health issues!
Somewhere to go and relax with friends,do woodwork and improve ones mental state.
Fair enough.
What i would also like to see happen is the creation of 'Mens Sheds' for the use and benefit of 'young men' who find themselves with little to do and lacking esteem and social skills.
They need their own shed!
Sure they don't want to hang around with grumpy,recalcitrant old men that do nothing but bicker amongst themselves. (local men's shed consists of a handful of members who do nothing but war with each other...they leave,they come back,they leave,they come back :()
For only a few members they get a lot of funding too!
They don't realize how fortunate they are having a 'shed' to go to.
Sure the youth of this area would be a lot more grateful to have a shed as opposed to the few old grumps that think the planet revolves around them...MM:2tsup:

dazzler
16th August 2015, 11:20 AM
You make a good point particularly with the high rates of suicide among younger men.

Perhaps not ALL men's sheds are as you describe though [emoji57]

Gaza
16th August 2015, 03:26 PM
in theory this is what bikie clubs of the past were before large scale drug dealing and criminal activity

RoyG
16th August 2015, 03:50 PM
So it seems 'Mens Sheds' were set up for for older men with health issues!
Somewhere to go and relax with friends,do woodwork and improve ones mental state.
Fair enough.
What i would also like to see happen is the creation of 'Mens Sheds' for the use and benefit of 'young men' who find themselves with little to do and lacking esteem and social skills.
They need their own shed!
Sure they don't want to hang around with grumpy,recalcitrant old men that do nothing but bicker amongst themselves. (local men's shed consists of a handful of members who do nothing but war with each other...they leave,they come back,they leave,they come back :()
For only a few members they get a lot of funding too!
They don't realize how fortunate they are having a 'shed' to go to.
Sure the youth of this area would be a lot more grateful to have a shed as opposed to the few old grumps that think the planet revolves around them...MM:2tsup:

Chris,

Something like what you're suggesting was happening decades ago, but seems to have died out. Back in the late 1970s and early 1980s, I was based at RAAF Williamtown (near Newcastle), and lived in Islington (Newcastle). I was a member of a Woodworking Club in the suburb, and the club operated most evenings and weekends. Monday to Friday during business hours, when the club facilities were not being used by the members, a local Charity, assisted by some of the retired club members, ran the woodworking workshop for what was then collectively described as "disadvantaged men" - a term that sounds very wrong with the benefit of 33 years hindsight. From memory, I believe that the men involved were mostly long term unemployed, and some came from a homeless shelter in Hamilton. There was also a group of disabled men and women who came to the club on Fridays, who learnt wood turning. Many of the disabled people became normal members of the club once they'd developed their woodturning skills.

I helped out at the week day workshops on a few occasions when I was on leave. The people from the Charity who ran the show, focused as much on the well being of the men, as on the woodworking, so it operated something vaguely along the lines of a Men's Shed, but with qualified social workers etc running the welfare side of the show.

Anyway, when I was posted back to Williamtown in 1985, the Club's Workshop was a construction site, and the club was no more.... I guess that most of the retired guys who worked with the Charity are either in their late 90s, or dead by now, so unfortunately there's not many people around who can add more info.

It's probably something that current woodworking / woodturning clubs could do, but it takes a lot of effort to get the social work side of things funded, organised and running.

Regards,

RoyG

MAPLEMAN
16th August 2015, 04:07 PM
in theory this is what bikie clubs of the past were before large scale drug dealing and criminal activity:no:...MM

DaveTTC
16th August 2015, 04:21 PM
Roy ... amazing the funding that is there if you can get iin qith the right grouo. As mentioned earlier ... mens sheds get a lot but there arr other grouos looking to support a good cause

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

MAPLEMAN
16th August 2015, 04:22 PM
Chris,

Something like what you're suggesting was happening decades ago, but seems to have died out. Back in the late 1970s and early 1980s, I was based at RAAF Williamtown (near Newcastle), and lived in Islington (Newcastle). I was a member of a Woodworking Club in the suburb, and the club operated most evenings and weekends. Monday to Friday during business hours, when the club facilities were not being used by the members, a local Charity, assisted by some of the retired club members, ran the woodworking workshop for what was then collectively described as "disadvantaged men" - a term that sounds very wrong with the benefit of 33 years hindsight. From memory, I believe that the men involved were mostly long term unemployed, and some came from a homeless shelter in Hamilton. There was also a group of disabled men and women who came to the club on Fridays, who learnt wood turning. Many of the disabled people became normal members of the club once they'd developed their woodturning skills.

I helped out at the week day workshops on a few occasions when I was on leave. The people from the Charity who ran the show, focused as much on the well being of the men, as on the woodworking, so it operated something vaguely along the lines of a Men's Shed, but with qualified social workers etc running the welfare side of the show.

Anyway, when I was posted back to Williamtown in 1985, the Club's Workshop was a construction site, and the club was no more.... I guess that most of the retired guys who worked with the Charity are either in their late 90s, or dead by now, so unfortunately there's not many people around who can add more info.

It's probably something that current woodworking / woodturning clubs could do, but it takes a lot of effort to get the social work side of things funded, organised and running.

Regards,

RoyGThanks for your reply Roy
Always feel it's important to look after those folk that 'fall between the cracks',so to speak.
Would like to think it be a lot more healthy for a young bloke or woman working a lathe than taking ICE!!
A 'Shed' for young folk to learn new skills,meet new friends,create and to embrace life again.
Sure the 'gambling' fund could finance something like that Roy.
I believe it has plenty of moolah to splash :wink:...MM:2tsup:

BobL
16th August 2015, 09:06 PM
A few random thoughts.
All organisations and clubs have their plusses and minuses and mens sheds are no different.
I don't think age is all that relevant as there are dummy spitters and grumps in all clubs including those which have predominantly younger members.
I have visited a number of mens sheds around the Perth Metro area and I have seen younger members at all of them. I have not heard of any major problems involving younger members.
One well known issue that affects younger member is that most inner city sheds are usually restricted in their operating times so they don't suit working age blokes otherwise they would probably have more younger members.
The amount of funding available to mens sheds is a recognition that there are more opportunities for younger blokes to do other stuff including more active pursuits in sporting clubs.
There is absolutely nothing to stop a group of younger blokes setting up a shed in a location like an industrial estate that could provide more outside working hours access. Funding would be available for this provided they met the Oz mens shed association guidelines.

What all the blokes that join Mens sheds have to realise is these facilities are NOT places where they can
- use the facilities renovate their rental property
- do commercial work
- do everything for themselves and bugger everyone else
- pick up lots of free materials
- get someone else to do things for me for free
- offload their junk
- ETC

Being the front man for our shed one day a week I can usually pick up on these attitudes within a couple of minute of talking to a prospective member.
It's not age dependent and it's disappointing that there are so many of them.
Anyway they get very little change from me.

issatree
16th August 2015, 09:30 PM
Hi MM,
Not sure of your age, but we have a couple of Young Chaps in our Shed. Early 40's.
So what age is considered Young.
So if there are no grumpy men there, so who is going to teach them anything. They need a couple of older Chaps to show them.
Are they expected to Know it all when they get there. Some think they do.
We are not all to Grumpy, or I wood like to think I'm not. I'm only 78.
Justmy2senceworth, & not having a go at you, but I hope it works & as you say there are heaps of them & not knowing what to do with themselves.

BobL
16th August 2015, 09:51 PM
I would estimate that, including me, ~10% of our shed members are grumpy.
I have a T-shirt that warns people I'm grumpy but it's not working as I constantly get asked to help and provide advice. :)

MAPLEMAN
16th August 2015, 11:52 PM
I constantly get asked to help and provide advice. :)Bob i'm sure your knowledge and skills would be most welcome in any 'Mens Shed'.
You certainly give a lot of time to problem solving anything 'chainsaws',on this forum.:;
Mens Sheds are a great concept...i'm all for them :2tsup:
And they are for 'there' for 'older' men who may be facing mental health issues
Bob...how many members in your local shed a.t.m ?...MM:2tsup:

BobL
17th August 2015, 01:51 AM
Bob i'm sure your knowledge and skills would be most welcome in any 'Mens Shed'.
You certainly give a lot of time to problem solving anything 'chainsaws',on this forum.:;
Mens Sheds are a great concept...i'm all for them :2tsup:
And they are for 'there' for 'older' men who may be facing mental health issues
Bob...how many members in your local shed a.t.m ?...MM:2tsup:

We have about 80 members.
Average age would be in the low 70"s
Our youngest member is 32 and our oldest is 89.
We have a prospective member who is 16 years old and will be coming with his grandfather.
We have an ex-navy vet and a couple of blokes in between jobs that are around 50 years old
Our expert metal turner is 85 and drives a metal lathe like he retired yesterday.
We have about 10 ex-engineers some of which are very hands on talented, and others have rarely picked up a tool in their life.
We have 6 ex- TAFE/Manual arts teachers - all of these guys are good value and very handy.
Likewise for the 4 former farmers and the 3 electricians
There are a fair share of business and professional blokes, bank managers, accountants. dentist, IT blokes, academics,
About half a dozen guys that come along don't do anything hands on - they just come for a chat and a cup of coffee.
Mostly these are the older blokes who realise their limitations and thinks it's safer not to use machinery or tools.
The President of the local Senior Citz centre next door to the shed is a former Judge and also a shed member but he only comes for morning or arvo tea. He is VERY generous with donations and his time in making contacts for fund raising and anything legal.

From what I can tell, a significant majority >(90%) of members do not have an obvious metal health issues
We have 3 blokes with obvious Alzheimers that need to be looked after.
Several blokes have physical handicaps, one is totally blind and needs looking after, others have a missing leg or hand but these blokes are very hands on active. One legged Bill in particular fixes machinery and builds machine guards etc.

The most common non-visible mental health issue is that members once had a large shed or large business involving some kind of workshop (some of the workshops were VERY large and well kitted out) and these members have since retired and/or downsized to either the back of a small garage or nothing at.
A half dozen or so like myself still have a fair size shed to play in.
The main reason I joined was to help with old machinery restoration (especially their electric motors) but these days I only go to supervise shed operations for half day a week and another half day I spend on general maintenance.

There have been 3 blokes that obviously "Spat the dummy" - "they told us what was wrong with the way we we running things and then left".
One guy claimed he knew everything about computers and uninvited took over looking after our computers. When it was obvious he didn't know as much as he claimed and we ignored his recommendations he left and personally I was glad that he did because the new bloke that took over our IT stuff is excellent
One ex-military bloke has been and gone several times and we think he may do this again. This guy is just frustrated about how chaotic it gets at times - it does my head in as well from time to time - but that's how it is.
One bloke has been gone a month but we since found out his wife has been ill and he is thinking about coming back again soon.

Over several years we have "lost" ~20 members for a whole host of reasons, mainly blokes losing interest and finding other things to do with their time.
We have a few minor trouble makers but the organising committee seems to be on top of things at the moment

nicked74
17th August 2015, 08:58 AM
I would have loved to join a men's shed to learn basic joinery skills. In return, I would have made things needed by the group and contributed where I could. I work and have small kids, so a meeting during the week days is not possible for me.
I went along to suggest a night meeting after 7:30 and was met with icy silence. And just so I wasn't thought of as a clown off the street, the president knew me and has voiced for my character. There were a few other younger fellas in my boat too, we just don't have the time during the day but in return for access and skills, would have helped out.
Just goes to show that each club's different I guess.
I found a wood turners group a bit later that operates at nights.
The local shed seems as though it is for the older blokes only. Meetings, events etc are all during weekdays.
I would love to see a younger man's shed that can run at nights, maybe in return for commissioned projects by the day members?

Robson Valley
17th August 2015, 10:11 AM
Just to stick my head in the thread to let you all know that there are Men's Sheds being set up and running in Canada.
I'm pleased to read that.

No chance of it in my village, not even a small group of wood carvers. However, I am able to select and buy top quality
western red cedar pieces for carving. 24" x 40lb shake blocks, 5" x 5" x 64" 25lb posts, all $5 each. I take some of that to the city.
The Brain Injured Group, the alternative education school for native kids, I just slip in the back doors and drop off a load
from time to time. If that's how I can support improved mental health and physical well-being, I'm pleased to do something.

MAPLEMAN
17th August 2015, 11:21 AM
I would love to see a younger man's shed that can run at nights, maybe in return for commissioned projects by the day members?:2tsup:...MM

nicked74
17th August 2015, 11:26 AM
I just meant that maybe there was a way for us all to work together? To learn skills and contribute, may be night attendees could help, rather than take advantage of the facilities.

AndrewOC
17th August 2015, 12:13 PM
Our shed (care of a Council) has opening constraints of 9am to 8pm weekdays and 9am to 5pm weekends/ holidays. We have several residential neighbours backing onto our 'side-passageway'.
BobL, you guys sound wonderfully organised- send your 'military' grump to us to see what chaos really looks like!
Could you tell us the scheme for key holders? I wish we could make copies for trustworthy members to open up at the other days of the week. However the locks are restricted copying Council jobbies.

cheers,
Andrew

BobL
17th August 2015, 12:57 PM
Our shed (care of a Council) has opening constraints of 9am to 8pm weekdays and 9am to 5pm weekends/ holidays. We have several residential neighbours backing onto our 'side-passageway'.
Our opening hours are 8:30 to 4:30, 4 days a week and we are not open on Weekends.

Noise wise our council rules are
Equipment can be used (inside a shed) for up to two hours (accumulative) on any one day:

between 7am–7pm Monday to Saturday, and
between 9am–7pm Sundays or public holidays.

However, the main reason for our shortish operating hours is not the local council noise rules but the lack of suitable persons willing to act as supervisors and the number of members that actually attend the shed.
Most of our sessions are only attended by around a dozen members except Monday arvo and friday morning where as many as 25 members turn up.
Most of our machines and 4 of our benches are on wheels so when this happens we use machinery like thicknesses, routers and bandsaws outside.
Last friday we had a thicknesser running outside for about 4 hours outside - we are waiting for the complaints.
We would extend our hours if more members turned up at other times and more supervisors were available.

BobL, you guys sound wonderfully organised- send your 'military' grump to us to see what chaos really looks like!
It always sounds way better than it is. We are still too crowded with too many machines and need to get rid of a few more.
We still need to move our big compressor and dust extractor outside but this is being held up by the council.

For storage we have a 40 ft seatainer and about a dozen trolleys full of stuff like metal, wood, projects underway etc that are stored inside the shed and when sessions are running are wheeled outside so we have more space
There are two external work spaces, one is a 6 bay carpark from which we exclude cars and the other is a 10 m long double driveway that leads up to two roller doors - we use these spaces a lot for things like painting and dust making activities.
We now have two stainless steel wire flying fox lines that each support 15A electrical leads across the whole workshop and plan to set up two more i.e. one from each end of the flying foxes.
We are still setting up dust extraction and reticulated compressed air systems and there is still a fair bit of electrical and safety upgrading required of some machinery.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=356632&stc=1

Could you tell us the scheme for key holders? I wish we could make copies for trustworthy members to open up at the other days of the week. However the locks are restricted copying Council jobbies.
We have the same problem with keys being Council controlled.
Only nominated supervisors and a couple of senior members have keys or access to keys.
A supervisor (preferably two) must be present while the shed is officially open.
We keep a set of keys in a small combination lock key safe attached to the building - this seems to be working well.
We have a no working alone policy but I'm a bit naughty in this regard and sometimes duck down to the Shed to do a quite task or two while there is no one around otherwise I can never get anything done during a normal session.

MAPLEMAN
17th August 2015, 05:04 PM
Great looking Shed and facilities Bob
Very impressive...MM:2tsup:

Christos
17th August 2015, 06:35 PM
I have read the thread and can see how things can get a little top heavy towards the older generation of men in regards to men's sheds. By the time you reached retirement you have nothing to do or nothing that sparks your interest and it is easy to just let things slide.

As humans on this planet we are a very social species and yes I expect there will be a few people that can argue their point that we don't have to be. But I believe that for the majority we need to have some interaction with one another.

There are a variety of ways available that we can have some interaction with one another and Men's shed is one aspect of this. I should have mention from the start that I am not a member of a men shed but a member of a wood turning group. I believe the dynamics are fundamentally the same.

We need both experienced and non-experienced members, it just so happens that experienced members are mainly retired older people and the non-experienced members are a little younger. I believe it takes the younger members to reignite the older members fire to create.

So every club needs to have a wider age group of people.

MAPLEMAN
17th August 2015, 08:04 PM
The local 'Shed' only has a membership of about 12 which fluctuates when the group have a collective barney :(
This is where the problem lies.
Too many skippers and not enough deckhands
Not a great environment for recruitment of new members,particularly the young
The last fight they had was apparently full of expletives...not happy campers at this 'Shed'
A lot of money has been spent on it too..for a handful of blokes that don't get along with each other.
Would like to think the other 'Sheds' operate a little more harmoniously :)...MM:2tsup:

BobL
17th August 2015, 08:31 PM
The local 'Shed' only has a membership of about 12 which fluctuates when the group have a collective barney :(
This is where the problem lies.
Too many skippers and not enough deckhands
Not a great environment for recruitment of new members,particularly the young
The last fight they had was apparently full of expletives...not happy campers at this 'Shed'
A lot of money has been spent on it too..for a handful of blokes that don't get along with each other.
Would like to think the other 'Sheds' operate a little more harmoniously :)...MM:2tsup:

That's most unfortunate - you should video it and play it back to them to show them how stupid they look.
Our shed is nothing like that.
One advantage of being in a bigger location is being able to shop around for a shed that suits an individual.
One shed I went to visit seemed to be dominated by a couple of "know alls" , and another didn't meet often enough for my liking.
A third one I visited seemed to be ridden with agro and expletives - a bit like yours MM.
Manning mens shed is generally pretty calm and I haven't heard a word raised in anger in the last 18 months.
We certainly have disagreements, and take the on a regular basis, but things are usually sorted without resorting to acrimony.
The following illustrates the trivial level of problem we have, where one member started telling increasing filthy/juvenile jokes.
When it got to a point where no one was laughing he got the message and toned down the jokes - no one said anything and it all worked out.

Durham Lad
17th August 2015, 09:18 PM
Hi All, Just throwing my two bobs worth in, I joined my local shed about two years ago and while it seemed a quite a harmonious place I found that I was a case of if I did not speak to them they would not speak to me. Most of the work done there was for the local community and very little for the individual which I believe is how it should be. But there was no real community spirit within the club.I left after a few months. Regards Brian.

BobL
17th August 2015, 10:09 PM
Hi All, Just throwing my two bobs worth in, I joined my local shed about two years ago and while it seemed a quite a harmonious place I found that I was a case of if I did not speak to them they would not speak to me. Most of the work done there was for the local community and very little for the individual which I believe is how it should be. But there was no real community spirit within the club.I left after a few months. Regards Brian.

That's a bit sad and always a problem if inner impenetrable circles form.
Our shed committee meets every fortnight and we invite 2-3 members from outside the committee to attend and comment on things.
We have drinks and sausage sizzle once a month where "award"funny s are given out to active members and just cos'.
Our monthly newsletter features a new member so every one gets to find out something different about the new members.

The work we do is mainly setting up the shed but as this tapers off more and more member are increasing able to do their own thing.
Woodwork wise a half dozen or so blokes are making toys for their grandiose and one bloke is making wine racks
Metal work wise a bloke is making a rack for his van and one is making knives.
On bloke spent a couple of months slowly fixing up a roller mower
The yougest member was shown how to turn and has been turning out bowls.
We also have a small group making kid size table and chairs for sale.

Community wise we made public bookshelves for local bus stations, Mahjong boards for the Senior Citizens Centre, some Harp covers, Spears for a local indigenous theatre group and a large display/fete cart for OzHarvest.

I could post a PDF sample of our newsletter if anyone is interested.

Pearo
18th August 2015, 12:36 AM
Our local mens shed opens 2 days a week, from 9am till 1pm. It needs to be renamed to a retired mens shed. I feel this is pretty common.

As an advocate against suicide, and a person who has lost a lot of mates to the horrible disease called depression, I would put my full support behind any shed that goes out and seeks the younger members and mentors them.

Uncle Al
18th August 2015, 09:02 AM
Our shed committee meets every fortnight and we invite 2-3 members from outside the committee to attend and comment on things.
We have drinks and sausage sizzle once a month where "award"funny s are given out to active members and just cos'.
Our monthly newsletter features a new member so every one gets to find out something different about the new members.

I could post a PDF sample of our newsletter if anyone is interested.

A couple of good ideas there Bob. Encouraging general members to attend committee meetings hopefully will lead to a wider range of members willing to get more involved in their club.

I rather like the awards for those little incidents that happen from time to time, they might be a funny comment, a silly mistake like spending time trying to fix a problem when all that is needed is to turn the power on at the power point, or some trivial event that 'just happens'. We have an O.B.E and O.B.N award certificate presented to our members on their 80th and 90th birthdays (Over Bloody Eighty etc.)

I would love to see a copy of your newsletter at some stage.

Alan...

BobL
18th August 2015, 09:44 AM
A couple of good ideas there Bob. Encouraging general members to attend committee meetings hopefully will lead to a wider range of members willing to get more involved in their club.

I rather like the awards for those little incidents that happen from time to time, they might be a funny comment, a silly mistake like spending time trying to fix a problem when all that is needed is to turn the power on at the power point, or some trivial event that 'just happens'. We have an O.B.E and O.B.N award certificate presented to our members on their 80th and 90th birthdays (Over Bloody Eighty etc.)

I would love to see a copy of your newsletter at some stage.

Alan...

Here ya go

MAPLEMAN
18th August 2015, 11:23 AM
Our local mens shed opens 2 days a week, from 9am till 1pm. It needs to be renamed to a retired mens shed. I feel this is pretty common.

As an advocate against suicide, and a person who has lost a lot of mates to the horrible disease called depression, I would put my full support behind any shed that goes out and seeks the younger members and mentors them.Appreciate your input Pearo...MM:2tsup:

tonycrh
18th August 2015, 01:34 PM

As an advocate against suicide, and a person who has lost a lot of mates to the horrible disease called depression, I would put my full support behind any shed that goes out and seeks the younger members and mentors them.

HI Guys,
Well my opening line was going to be "get them while they are young" however after reading Pearo's comment I think its a case of get them before its too late.
I have been thinking about joining my local shed Hastings Vic, as yet there is no Local Somerville Shed. Reading all the comments here, there does not seem to be a lot of future proofing for the Mens Shed, surly we need to get people my age late 30's early 40's involved. I will pull the finger out to go down to the local shed before I make any further comments. As a advocate against suicide I think the outlet that the Mens Shed provides is out standing.

Any local member here for Hastings please get in touch.

Chesand
18th August 2015, 02:09 PM
I have been reading this thread with interest as there is a Mens' Shed about to open locally. I have no intention of joining at the moment because I have other commitments but I will refer them to this thread as it may help them structure their set up.

BobL
18th August 2015, 04:27 PM
HI Guys,
Well my opening line was going to be "get them while they are young" however after reading Pearo's comment I think its a case of get them before its too late.

It's never too late, we have members in their 70's (including a couple of engineers) that have never lifted a screwdriver before.

Lappa
20th August 2015, 09:20 PM
Anyone here a member of a Men's shed in Sydney Northen Suburbs?

Cheers

woodlogic
22nd August 2015, 01:24 AM
Hi Folks,

Given the topic, I must say, it’s rather interesting the level of interest from ‘older folks’ that want us young men to participate in a mens shed, or have our own. I’m 27, and have tried a mens shed. Unfortunately it involved an introductory racist lunchtime session with other members hating Indigenous people (I’m Indigenous - I know where I’m not welcomed). So I left quietly after lunch. Fortunately I was able to find a highly regarded woodwork teacher. It’s costly, but it’s worth it. But being a Social Worker in an NGO child protection org, theres only so long I can sustain the cost. My learnings from the Mens shed experience are:

Connectedness. The emphasise on membership for young men is to build connectedness within a group, not merely recruit. Signing the membership form is the easy part. A focus needs to be on building the ‘shed culture’. Akin to BobLs comment about the filthy jokes. Every mens shed needs an active strategy to bring younger men into the ‘group’. This is very true of woodworking, which is predominately based on independent project work. I’ve always thought a better tact would be to have a designated night or session devoted to building a large-scale group piece - a timber boat, restoring a vintage machine etc. But its has to be based on collective interest…

Interest. Now a mens shed can’t be all things to all people. However, different age demographics creates different interests. Perhaps an easy rhetorical question for you folks is - how many young members (below 30yrs) at mens shed participate in the standard ‘making wood toys’ session? Not many, if any I’d assume. Theres a big move towards craftsmanship with younger woodworkers, particularly learning hand skills. These interests need to be imbedded. Indeed that’s a perfect opportunity to have the old hands lend some help and advice.

Common likeness. In my experience, what brings people together is common likeness, not difference. Having a BBQ fundraiser and membership drive at your local Bunnings with old men as the face of the recruitment drive aren’t going to attract young men, women or anyone outside that demographic. It’s basic sociology folks, that’s why you have suburbs in the larger cities devoted to common creeds, race, class (Sunnybank in Brisbane with its high rate of asian residents, Inner city Melbourne with its young professionals etc etc.). People stick to what they know and trust - the comfort factor. Overall, Mapleman hit the nail on the head with his comments about having a young mens shed, operated and run by young men.

Regards,
Raymond J.B

BobL
22nd August 2015, 02:54 AM
Good summary Raymond.

The issue of a collective interest is important to help maintain purpose and bond the group, but it may be difficult to establish and maintain.
Some sheds have a more specific focus that immediately defines what they do like computers, toys or bicycles or . . . . .

The only real common interest I see tying most of our our shed membership together is the desire to have a decent working cubby, err . . . shed, but this is only going to sustain us for so long.
Currently we have more than half the membership working on restoring equipment, and improvements to the shed.
It will be interesting to see what happens to our shed membership once the shed reorganization settles and there's not much more cubby building to be done.
I expect some changes to the membership to occur.

Christos
22nd August 2015, 08:43 AM
...... have tried a mens shed. Unfortunately it involved an introductory racist lunchtime session with other members hating Indigenous people...

Very disappointing to hear that.

I hope that this does not deter you from any future participation of a men's shed. At least being on this forum(part of the internet) there is just a signon name. Get to know the person before they see the human.

Uncle Al
22nd August 2015, 08:54 AM
Here ya go
Thanks Bob.
Your Mens Shed looks pretty well set up now. I hope it progresses and prospers for the good of the local community.

Alan...

Wood Collector
23rd August 2015, 03:34 PM
Lappa,I am part of the Hornsby Mens shed if you are close to them. I mainly go on theweekend due to school.All the guys in the shed are all really friendlyand willing to help and offer advice when needed. Cheers WC

Lappa
23rd August 2015, 06:46 PM
Lappa,I am part of the Hornsby Mens shed if you are close to them. I mainly go on theweekend due to school.All the guys in the shed are all really friendlyand willing to help and offer advice when needed. Cheers WC

Thanks. I live very close to Hornsby. Is it the one in Sefton Road? Are they open Saturday and Sunday? I may drop in next Saturday.

Cheers

Prle77
28th September 2015, 08:54 PM
Well I've been checking around looking for either men's shed, or other woodworking club as a way to try to learn woodturning... the most common issue is that all those clubs are actually only open during standard work hours.. which is very discouraging for full time working people..
The only sort of club I could find was Pop's shed which actually runs woodturning classes on saturdays.. And it seems quite popular as upon my query, they were booked out at least three or four weeks in advance...
I've looked on several clubs in the area and all of them are open 9 - 12 and then 13-16... so for people like me who work pretty much 8-16 (or lets say 9-17) there is simply no way I can attend any of the classes...
Unless I am looking at wrong places but to me it seems that all of those clubs are aimed for retired guys or people who i guess work something like second shift or similar...

issatree
29th September 2015, 02:40 AM
Hi Prle77,
The Koonung Woodies meet on Sat. in the Blackburn area. Not sure if it is every Sat. or not..
I'm sure there are others also. Not sure where you are in Melb.
I will PM you a Ph. No.