PDA

View Full Version : Hercus No.1 Table Bearing Lubrication - Oil or Grease?

Anorak Bob
16th August 2015, 08:25 PM
In the scant "Operators Instruction Book" for the tool and cutter grinder there is no mention of lubrication of the ball bearings supporting the table. There is mention of the 10 oil nipples and the advice that on no account should grease be applied to any part of the machine!

The balls and their vee and flat races do not show signs of excess grease lubrication, the could have indeed been oiled so I'm wondering what manner of lubrication would be best. Peter Fou gave me a tin of lithium grease when he sold me the grinder. Maybe a thin smear?

Any suggestions?

Bob.

.RC.
16th August 2015, 08:59 PM
The Cincinnati #2 TC grinder manual states the ball ways on it should occasionally be cleaned up to remove dust, and then upon reassembly the balls dusted with graphite powder. It further states on no account should they be oiled or greased as this will pick up grit.

In saying that I believe Ueee's Blohm surface grinder has ball ways that are greased, but they may be much better protected..

I would probably go with what Cincinatti recommend and use a dry lubricant... Graphite or maybe even in todays world a can of that molybdenum lubricant you spray on and it dries..

Peter Fou
16th August 2015, 11:09 PM
Bob,

That tin of grease was one of 5 I acquired many years ago and I still have 1/2 a tin left for myself which will last me out, I only use it for my Weiler spindle bearings, the rest I gave away before moving.

The Hercus balls are well protected and what is on the balls now, Vactra2, has been there for many years. The major source of grit contamination is from wheel dressing. I always had my vacuum cleaner rigged up when dressing. Perhaps a dry lubricant as suggested may be better?

Peter

TheNutter
16th August 2015, 11:13 PM
Bob
When I assembled mine I unthinkingly put a squirt of oil into the slde, it ran straight into the bottom of the V and out the end, which is wide open...

Mine is presently clean and dry. I think that the graphite is probably a good suggestion. Otherwise I was thinking of a little silicone spray.

Regards

Ian

Michael G
17th August 2015, 06:31 PM
I sent an email to my Hercus contact (who is on holidays at the moment). His comment was

I would be using a oil like tecoma 32 (hydraulic oil) or tecoma 68 general lube oil used on most machinery, never grease as this will atract grinding dust / grit in to slide ways.

So oil sounds alright, it is the grease to avoid.

Michael

Ueee
17th August 2015, 07:44 PM
RC is correct, the Blohm is greased, but they are very well protected.

Steamwhisperer
17th August 2015, 08:35 PM
Hi Bob,
The Macson which is pretty much a copy of the Cincinnati has the same instructions as Richard gave.
A bit of graphite only.

Phil