PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to all the cool old stuff??

DSEL74
16th August 2015, 08:45 PM

That "engine crane" is just awesome!! Beats the Cr@p out of the cheap chinese ones on the market now.

I need one of the stands for my power hacksaw.

How cool is that Vise Stand and it has the weight to make it functional.

So much of this old stuff just hasn't survived. If only I could find it all and give it a nice warm home to live in.

I do have one of these guys sitting on my shelf. Today i found these photos so now I am more sure it is a bandsaw filer and I need to make up the wheel to make it function.
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/images/16918-A.jpghttp://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/images/16918-B.jpg

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/images/16918-E.jpghttp://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/images/16918-F.jpg
Patented 1901, Serial Number 1336. I will have to look for a serial no on mine now. Interesting is that it is branded both Foley & Computing Scale co.

Another is on ebay USA. Note it doesn't have the computing Scale Co embossed text on what appears to be the same hand wheel.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/mh8AAOSwBLlVb5Lt/$_57.JPG?rt=nchttp://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/7pwAAOSwv0tVb5Mo/$_57.JPG

KBs PensNmore
16th August 2015, 10:05 PM
So much of this old stuff just hasn't survived. If only I could find it all and give it a nice warm home to live in

Great idea, but you'd need a shed the size of Holden's factory to store it all in. Then you'd have to remember where you put it, I have enough trouble finding stuff in a 6 X 4 and 2.5 X 5 metre shed :?.
Kryn

DSEL74
16th August 2015, 10:09 PM
Turn it into a working museum, where people can go and learn an old skill, on old timey gear. Maybe then could get funding for a big shed. Although I don't know if you'd be able to get insurance.

Also your assuming there is enough of it left in Oz to fill more than a 3x3m shed.

KBs PensNmore
16th August 2015, 10:33 PM
Turn it into a working museum, where people can go and learn an old skill, on old timey gear. Maybe then could get funding for a big shed. Although I don't know if you'd be able to get insurance.

Also your assuming there is enough of it left in Oz to fill more than a 3x3m shed.

Nice idea, probably might be able to go along similar lines to the Men's Sheds. Don't know if they would allow it to become part of the organisation, but it would solve the insurance problem, if it was allowed.
Just thinking positive, might be surprised as to what could be found on old farms and stations.
Kryn

sacc51
17th August 2015, 12:13 AM
Certainly much better made and no doubt lasted longer than todays equipment, but could you afford them? That's the beauty of tools and machinery these days - anyone can afford them!

KBs PensNmore
17th August 2015, 12:31 AM
Certainly much better made and no doubt lasted longer than todays equipment, but could you afford them? That's the beauty of tools and machinery these days - anyone can afford them!

That's fine to afford them, but replacing them when they crap themselves, gets expensive.:D Usually parts are no longer available after 5 years.:(( Maybe that's why this forum works so well, members are only to happy to help each another. Dale, if I see any good stuff, I'll let you know.:2tsup:
Kryn

DSEL74
17th August 2015, 12:40 AM
Yeah anyone can afford replace their chipboard furniture every few years also. I still think the days of craftsman furniture made to last generations and be passed on as heirlooms was a better investment. But that is just me.

eskimo
17th August 2015, 08:49 AM
I still think the days of craftsman furniture made to last generations and be passed on as heirlooms was a better investment. But that is just me.

and me.

.RC.
17th August 2015, 10:05 AM
I think if you used that equipment back then and got bought to today's world, you would not want to go back...

I bet the average man in the street would not be able to afford that stuff back then... Today buying an engine crane is a nothing...

Dingo Dog
17th August 2015, 10:08 AM
All that beaut old machinery has gone to the same place as the Nail. Houses built with nails, the ring of the hammer echoing in new suburbs growing up in Brisbane has been replaced with the Pneumatic Nail Gun, instead of big bugger nails being driven into cross beams on roofs to hold them in place, you have flimsy tin foil plates secured by thin nails. Just my rant :cool:

DD

sacc51
17th August 2015, 10:31 AM
Remember when you could buy a new element for your toaster instead of throwing it away, remember when you could buy a new heating element for your kettle instead of throwing it away. Then again you couldn't buy a toaster or kettle for the equivalent of today's toasters and kettles. No wonder landfills are so huge now!
Milk in glass bottles, all bread came unsliced and fruit had brown spots all over, them was the days.

bollie7
17th August 2015, 11:18 AM
instead of big bugger nails being driven into cross beams on roofs to hold them in place, you have flimsy tin foil plates secured by thin nails. Just my rant :cool:

DD
It would be interesting to see the results of some proper scientific testing on the two types of joint mentioned. It wouldn't surprise me if the nail plate joint, if installed correctly, was stronger than the traditional type.

bollie7

Stustoys
17th August 2015, 11:43 AM
You can still buy hand built furinture though I doubt you'll like the price.

It would be interesting to see the results of some proper scientific testing on the two types of joint mentioned. It wouldn't surprise me if the nail plate joint, if installed correctly, was stronger than the traditional type.

bollie7
As long as its not on fire you're correct.(by a long way in certain joints, like theones that hold the roof on)

Stuart

DSEL74
17th August 2015, 11:54 AM
I think there are a lot of things about the past that made life better to live in that time, I also think there are a lot of things better about living in this time. So maybe if I live in this time and surround myself with things of the past I can get the best of both worlds. Well not really as not all those things are physical.

I still think I would love to have and preserve a lot of old workshop gear rather than have new cost based low end manufactured gear. That is not to say there isn't good quality stuff made today, but it is still out of reach of the average man. Some of this old stuff if you can find it is the cheapest if you can find it and willing to bring it back from its rusty clothes.

GSRocket
17th August 2015, 07:17 PM
... Houses built with nails, the ring of the hammer echoing in new suburbs growing up in Brisbane has been replaced with the Pneumatic Nail Gun, instead of big bugger nails being driven into cross beams on roofs to hold them in place, you have flimsy tin foil plates secured by thin nails.DD

I was roof tiling in Sydney when the massive hail storm hit the southern suburbs (1997?).
Most of the houses were probably built around the 1920's, Although the roofs were hardwood, the craftsmanship was disappointingly rubbish, absolutely terrible in some cases. A modern house is substantially better built.
A nail driven by a Paslode gas gun holds vastly better than a hand driven nail. Also a gas gun nail will hold much better than a nail driven by a pneumatic gun. I have used all three methods over extended periods.
Structurally we can knock together things faster, better and cheaper than ever.

For me the biggest disappointment of this era is almost the complete lack of style. Older buildings look so much better.
Older cars had so much more style. Older machinery, lathes ect. although entirely functional look like pieces of art.

Dingo Dog
17th August 2015, 09:26 PM
Perhaps you could tell me then why all my decking is lifting. Paslode nail gun used, would say I had 3 years use out of the deck before the nails started to lift out of the decking boards.

DD

GSRocket
17th August 2015, 09:41 PM
Perhaps you could tell me then why all my decking is lifting. Paslode nail gun used, would say I had 3 years use out of the deck before the nails started to lift out of the decking boards.DD
Smooth nails whether hand nailed or driven with a Paslode would twist out with the weather.
Hand driven twisted galvanized nails would have been the go or screws would have been even better.
Back in the day, I found hand driven gal nails held almost as well as Paslode nails, just took ten times longer, both were far superior to the standard bullet head nail.

Zwitter
18th August 2015, 04:55 PM
Hey GSRocket

Can you explain why a gas driven nail would be better than a pneumatic driven nail.
I have done framing with the identical D head nails driven with both and see no appreciable difference. In fact i have the biggest Paslode pneumatic nail gun as it will home a 100 mm nail that the gas nailer wont handle. I admit the gas gun is easier to handle being cord and hose free. Now there are battery nail guns for finishing / bradding.

As for the nails they often have a form of heat glue on them that acts as a lubricant when the nail is fired and. Then dries holding it in place. You can get nailers for decking with ringed nails and twist gal nails.

So much better to use than the old ramset cartridge guns.

James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GSRocket
18th August 2015, 05:54 PM
Can you explain why a gas driven nail would be better than a pneumatic driven nail.
HD
I think it is as you mentioned, the glue. Pneumatic nails just have that bit of broken off wire to hold them tight or maybe there are other nails that I've never seen.
All I know is when I've had to rip up battens, the Paslode gas gun nails make it the most difficult.
When I mean pneumatic nailer, I mean the type that have nails in a coil bound by two strings of wire. There might be much better ones these days.

.RC.
18th August 2015, 07:03 PM
People seem to forget you can not compare hammered nails to nail gun nails...

Simply because as it is so easy to put in a nail with a nail gun if you have a big gap to fill or the timber splits or whatever, you put the nail gun onto full automatic and hold the trigger down :D

Then pump in some no more nails... :)

LordBug
18th August 2015, 08:28 PM
Whilst that engine crane is a far more attractive piece of equipement, I would forego ten of them in place of my sole cheap crap chinese crane. Not only has it been vastly useful in it's designated role, removing and replacing engines, but also without it, I would have had no way to remove some of my lucky scores off my ute, which required a reach and a height ability far, far superior to the old one.

Everything has its place, and one important skill is being able to appraise the abilities without getting caught up over looks, the era, or the construction.

steamingbill
18th August 2015, 11:34 PM
A friend sent me this link a couple of days ago

https://fbcdn-video-k-a.akamaihd.net/hvideo-ak-xft1/v/t42.1790-2/11773988_1639189566328595_228234820_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjY0NiwicmxhIjo1MTJ9&rl=646&vabr=359&oh=11806934b2f5697f90b2fe20782add12&oe=55D33BE9&__gda__=1439906714_c6fd2d341ef5d1010033803b6227c72a

I think its a great bit of good old stuff

Bill

DSEL74
19th August 2015, 08:33 AM
A friend sent me this link a couple of days ago

https://fbcdn-video-k-a.akamaihd.net/hvideo-ak-xft1/v/t42.1790-2/11773988_1639189566328595_228234820_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjY0NiwicmxhIjo1MTJ9&rl=646&vabr=359&oh=11806934b2f5697f90b2fe20782add12&oe=55D33BE9&__gda__=1439906714_c6fd2d341ef5d1010033803b6227c72a

I think its a great bit of good old stuff

Bill

Link doesn't work for me.

eskimo
19th August 2015, 01:14 PM
Remember when you could buy a new element for your toaster instead of throwing it away, remember when you could buy a new heating element for your kettle instead of throwing it away. Then again you couldn't buy a toaster or kettle for the equivalent of today's toasters and kettles. No wonder landfills are so huge now!
Milk in glass bottles, all bread came unsliced and fruit had brown spots all over, them was the days.

I remember when you could get a fridge fixed..no matter what the problem

nowdays if the fault is not the thermostat your stuffed....generally it has or is becoming a throw away society ...probably a lot due to lower production costs and increased repair costs

steamingbill
19th August 2015, 02:34 PM
Link doesn't work for me.

Thats odd, works for me every time - maybe something to do with cookies ?

Try this link instead

https://www.facebook.com/bruce.evans.9041

Its the video that is down the page a bit - Ive attached a screenshot of it below.

Some other interesting things on that page as well - I think that is the same Bruce Evans that posts a lot on one of the American machinist forums.

Bill