PDA

View Full Version : What a waste

Ian007
27th July 2005, 07:30 PM
Im working on the new packaging and warehouse facility for the Wolf Blass winery in the Barrosa Valley
well today as I had a walk around i spoke to somebody re all this lovely white pine packaging that the new bottling line machinery has come from Italy in, lots of large bits with a few nails etc and also lots of smaller bits that are only good for the tip, but very few knots ect.

So I say to this bloke what happens to all that lot?
he tells me there should be around ten semi loads going to the dump.
WHAT your joking say I.

Help yourself he tells me.
so I did got about 10, 90x90 x 2 metre lengths of lovely clean pine with no nails as well as a fair bit of other stuff in all sorts of sizes

I can see a new timber rack being built and some (read lots) of this stuff coming home every day with me.

and this on top of lots of lovely hardwood from all over the place as they unpack stuff from lots of different countrys. I already have about two pallets stacked up for me full of hardwood :)

Cheers Ian :)

craigb
27th July 2005, 07:36 PM
You sure it's pine?

Coming from Europe, maybe it's Spruce or something.
Even if it is pine, I bet it's not crapiata.

Ian007
27th July 2005, 08:12 PM
looks like pine but with much finer grain

and it sure isnt crapola, its very nice

Lucky Me :D

echnidna
27th July 2005, 08:45 PM
Sounds like white baltic pine

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th July 2005, 09:06 PM
It could be radiata... it's just not very likely.

Old radiata pine from the turn of the century, before plantation crud became the norm, is lovely wood. I believe that most of it was imported back then.

We had a row of pine, spaced some 100' apart alomg the back paddock line. They were the best part of 100yo, some 4' across the bole. Fantastic for learning to climb in. :D When the back paddock was sub-div'd a few years back (price of living. [sigh]) I salvaged as much as I could... and it too was wonderful stuff. Fine grained, barely any knots at all.

I can't see any commercial interests going out of their way to harvest "wild" pine for pallet material though.

Ian007
27th July 2005, 09:19 PM
Sounds like white baltic pine

OK you got me never heard of "White Baltic"

so I will do a google and have a look

thanks Ian :)

Sir Stinkalot
27th July 2005, 10:36 PM
There was a guy in Geelong who got paid by a large local car manufacturer to take away their packing crates ... he took them all to his farm and left them until he retired. Upon retiring he de-nailed and cut them up. Most were 100x25x1800 and these were $1.00 each and others 75x45x1800 about $1.50.
I ended up with about 2-3 m³ with it being a mix of hardwood and softwood. Great colours ..... no idea where it is from but I would guess Indonesia or Thailand.

zenwood
27th July 2005, 10:41 PM
Im working on the new packaging and warehouse facility for the Wolf Blass winery in the Barrosa Valley... Can we organise a raid? A trip to the Barossa, a few wines and a covert operation sounds like a fun day.:D

Seriously: I'd even be willing to pay to take rubbish like that away for them.

Well done on the acquisition. How 'bout a pic or two?

FlyingDuck
27th July 2005, 11:49 PM
should be around ten semi loads going to the dump.

Are you going to take the whole lot, or is there going to be some left over for us vultures?...I mean Ducks

Ian007
27th July 2005, 11:54 PM
Are you going to take the whole lot, or is there going to be some left over for us vultures?...I mean Ducks

its a long way from the Barossa to Brisbane mate

But I will share with the Adelaide Lads :D

kiwigeo
28th July 2005, 12:09 AM
Can we organise a raid? A trip to the Barossa, a few wines and a covert operation sounds like a fun day.:D

Seriously: I'd even be willing to pay to take rubbish like that away for them.

Well done on the acquisition. How 'bout a pic or two?
Count me in. We can end the day at my place and sort out the wine..er... I mean wood.

Harry72
28th July 2005, 12:54 AM
We get heaps of pallets at work made from wood like you're saying... very fine grain white in colour and very strong hardwood(Paulawina maybe?). Problem is under the Australian Pb act they cant be removed from the site, they get burnt at the slagfumer(i think) or burried.

maglite
28th July 2005, 01:06 AM
At work we get a lot of stuff imported from Germany that is treated very heavily with a fumigant, its name escapes me at the moment, nasty green stuff and we are only allowed to bury the timber, not burn it, as it gives off so much in the way of airborne contaminants.
Go figure, i wonder what it does to the ground water?
It might be worth while doing some more research as i doubt that the quarantine guys would allow untreated timber to enter the country.
You may end up witth something more than you bargained for.

Steve

Gingermick
28th July 2005, 07:05 AM
It is a renewable resource but wastage is wastage and pointless. My local dump will take things like that out of the trailer before it goes to the tip face and flog it off for too much.
BTW I have a picture (that I can't find) of a new American F350 or something. And it looks like they dont think fossil fuels will run out. This thing looked like it would do about 2-3 litres per 100 metres.

Harry72
29th July 2005, 12:38 AM
Ah you mean the F650... hummers are tiny compared, think of a Ford Louville semi crossed with an SUV!

Harry72
29th July 2005, 12:42 AM
Maglite, the pallets we get are from here in Oz(I think) Orica chemicals, pearl of caustic and potasium nitrate.

Andy Mac
29th July 2005, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=maglite]stuff imported from Germany that is treated very heavily with a fumigant

I read this with interest, as I scored a huge packing crate earlier this year, like a container...needed my brother-in-laws crane truck to get it home (in 2 pieces). Its from Germany and the timbers underneath are something like 8x8 pine and fairly close together to hold a sheetmetal press. Some of the biggest nails I've ever seen in it! Anyway, I have it stacked on the ground at home and we have a bad termite problem (I don't want to talk about the English oak and olive tree wood I've recently thrown...) and so far they haven't got into the pine. I don't recollect any greenish tinge to the wood or ply, but I assume its been fumigated fairly heavily.
Andy

Kev Y.
29th July 2005, 11:48 AM
I was the lucky recipient of a LARGE packing crate several years ago, it held part of a coal dredge, it was 6mX6m and rested on 200mm square supports also 6m long.

I was informed that the timber was European Larch. It had been surface treated, but once it was introduced to the thicknesser, and had the top 2mm removed, the remaining timber was fine to use.

I stil have a good quantity left over after making this bed.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=6252&highlight=cherry+bed

I had the bed valued last year (another story for another time) and was told that IF I was selling it to a "second hand" dealer he would give me $250.00 for it, and that IF I made one to sell in his store, he would sell it for $1200.00

not too bad for "rubbish"

maglite
29th July 2005, 04:16 PM
All timber packaging (crates, skids etc) must be fumigated prior to entering the country.
In most cases the fumigant of choice is Methyl Bromide, apparently it leaches out of the timber over time but in small quantities that dont pose a health hazard (supposedly).

The treatment ends up being not dissimilar to CCA treated pine.....perhaps it would be wise to treat any imported packaging timber in the same way.

cheers
Steve

Eastie
29th July 2005, 04:53 PM
AQIS have specific guidelines for the treatment of timber packing entering the country. There are about 50+ different type of treatemnet.

Permanent treatments which can be used include copper chromium arsenic, copper chromioum boron, copper chromium flourine, quaternary ammonimum copounds such as didecyldimethyl ammonium chloride (DDAC) or benzalkonium chloride (BAC), boron and alkyl ammonium compounds such as dialkyldimethylammonium chloride (DDAC), copper azole, mixtures of all of the above, boric acid and polymeric biocides, permethrins, deltamethrins, cypermethrins, fenvalerate, tributyltin oxide, fenitrothion, chlorofenapyr, bifenthrin, .....

Temporary treaments include methyl bromides, sulphuryl flouride, kiln drying and heat treatments.

Look for ISPM 15, NIMP 15 or NIMF 15 compliant stamps on the timber, however a lack of stamping doesn't garuntee a lack of treatment as the importer may have used a treatment certificate instead.

Unless I was sure it wasn't treated I wouldn't be making chopping boards out of them....but each to his own. Some of the stuff listed above doesn't discolor timber, and isn't necessary detectable by smell.

AlexS
29th July 2005, 10:38 PM
I was informed that the timber was European Larch. It had been surface treated, but once it was introduced to the thicknesser, and had the top 2mm removed, the remaining timber was fine to use.

Larch is beautiful timber, possibly the greatest thing ever for drawer sides, straight grain, extremely stable and high strength to weight.