PDA

View Full Version : 11" Sapele inlay Sun Tray

splinterz25
17th August 2015, 03:57 AM
Hello once again this piece I just finished this morning I'm trying new ideas and this is what I came up with.
A 11" Sapele tray w/a Tiger Maple sun inlay; this was all hand done on a band saw & w/ a hand held router.
It's not perfect like a C&C router would give you, but I'm all about hand made; And a C&C is Not in my budget anyway.

This is my version of a Native American Sun Symbol I hope you guys like this one,

Bruce

Rod Gilbert
17th August 2015, 08:36 AM
Hi Bruce,
Well done indeed I have had limited experience at trying to do similar with hand held router and it is quite difficult to get a good fit every where so you have done a great job on this with so much cutting to be done. I like it a lot.
Regards Rod.

dai sensei
17th August 2015, 10:19 AM
You've done well and it looks great :2tsup:

splinterz25
17th August 2015, 01:49 PM
Thank you Rod and Dai

Bruce

cava
17th August 2015, 10:31 PM
Very nice. Job well done. :2tsup:

Christos
21st August 2015, 06:17 PM
Very well done on the inlay.

I have not done an inlay the way you have but do wish to share a bowl that I made that had a plug inserted. It was a practice piece as I blew the bottom of the bowl.

I cleaned up the blow out and tried to ensure that it was square at the edge. I turned the bowl around and held it in with cold jaws. I put a round recess in the bottom of the bowl just larger than the hole.

Put up another piece of contrasting wood and got this rounded to the recess. After measuring the hole in the bowl I rounded to just under 1mm smaller then the hole. I then glued the two pieces using coloured epoxy which oozed out. The final cleanup on the lathe gave a very faint banding at the edge of the bowl and insert.

I used red dye which was a little hard to see as I think I needed to go to the thicker side of 1mm or brighter red????

If you make this again I would suggest using bright yellow dyed epoxy. And if it not perfect fit all the better more realistic.

splinterz25
26th September 2015, 02:00 AM
Hello Once again I had a few hours today to put the final finish on this piece.
After letting the Tung Oil dry for a few weeks I sanded it w/ 220 and applied several coats of Deft Sanding Sealer sanding in between coats; then w/ a rattle can Deft clear gloss Lacquer I sprayed the finish, it's now ready for the customer to pick up.

Bruce