PDA

View Full Version : Static Electricity problem

KBs PensNmore
17th August 2015, 07:07 PM
Hi, I've been asked to make a Christmas display, that has a glass bowl mounted on top of a fan with polystyrene balls, 6mm dia, that blow trough a hole above the fan, there is fly wire above the fan. My problem is, that static electricity make all the balls bunch up on top preventing them coming into the airflow and stopping excess air escaping. Does anyone have any ideas on preventing this from occurring.

Thanks in advance,
Kryn

Chesand
17th August 2015, 07:10 PM
Perhaps a wild idea but I wonder if the anti-static spray that the ladies use on their clothes might work if the poly-styrene balls were sprayed with it.

I think the name is Anti-statique or something similar.

Pearo
17th August 2015, 07:17 PM
You need moisture or a conductive coating. I am trying to think of something spray on, that conducts but wont mark the glass bowl. Perhaps some contact cleaner or the like, only problem is I am not sure if it would be compatable with polystyrene.

Not sure how much stock you have, but I would try things like hairspray, window cleaner, etc. Failing that a spray of water from time to time?

EDIT: Or what Chesand suggested whilst I posted!! Never heard of the stuff but sounds like a winner to me!

Malibu
18th August 2015, 07:06 AM
G'day KB,

Try some Cuddly fabric softener on them... I use it on my PVC dust ducting and stopped all the static shocks I was getting, so it might work on poly as well

BaronJ
18th August 2015, 07:41 AM
Hi Kryn,

If the grill above the fan is metal, connect it to earth. That should bleed off any static.

HTH

Zwitter
18th August 2015, 05:03 PM
Up the humidity'
Or use soap on the balls as it will maintain some moisture and stop static.

James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

KBs PensNmore
18th August 2015, 06:07 PM
Thanks everyone, for the replies, will give them a try :2tsup:.
Kryn

mike48
20th August 2015, 07:46 AM
Try the suggested Cuddly, or similar product.
Mix with water and use a plastic spray bottle.
Magic.
Widely used for this anti-static application.
(That's how these fabric softeners work).