PDA

View Full Version : Bearing supplies for hobbyists

mawhins
18th August 2015, 10:36 AM
I'm in Brisbane and I'm looking for some bearings to use in projects around the shop. I need some axial roller bearings for my chain driven twin screw vice (knock off of lie-nielsen's), some caged bearings for a re-build of my sheppach wet stone grinder and for the cam on my table saw fence build.

Every where I've looked seem to be wholesale and commercially focused. Does anyone know where I can go to get small numbers of bearings?

BobL
18th August 2015, 10:48 AM
Here in Perth any SKF distributor or someone like statewide bearings will sell you one bearing and a bit of service as well.

jackaroo
18th August 2015, 01:11 PM
I bought from here quite often. They are very cheap and can get almost anything in any size.
http://bearingwholesalers.com.au/locations/

For seal and o-ring. this place is good.
http://www.renseal.com.au/

Grahame Collins
18th August 2015, 01:41 PM
These blokes have been around for years.

http://www.smallparts.com.au/

They are on Old Cleveland Road, Brisbane

If they have not got it or can't get the item, it's probably not being made any more.

Grahame

nearnexus
18th August 2015, 02:13 PM
CBC Bearings are Australia wide, have just about everything, and do small purchases/value, no problem.

http://www.conbear.com/files/locations.php?sec=locations&lang=en

I bought some "O" rings from them recently and the total amount was only $3.00, AND they had to get them in for me (special type/compound), did it in two days, AND rang me to say they had arrived.

Can't beat them for service etc.

Many places these days have a minimum order of $10 policy - which really sucks.

Rob

.RC.
18th August 2015, 02:39 PM
Not yet seen a bearing shop with a minimum order requirement up here....

I could imagine a bolt shop doing it, when you go in to buy a packet of bolts and you get held up for half an hour by people who want 1 of this and 4 of this and 10 of the other, when they could go to <insert major hardware store here> and shop for them themselves off the shelf.

mawhins
18th August 2015, 03:21 PM
So far CBC and Statewide have gotten back to me by email. Not overly helpful but did answer my questions. I'm trying the small parts and bearings place next, they seem to have everything judging by their site. Thanks all.

BobL
18th August 2015, 04:26 PM
So far CBC and Statewide have gotten back to me by email. Not overly helpful but did answer my questions. I'm trying the small parts and bearings place next, they seem to have everything judging by their site. Thanks all.

I can understand why an email to do with bearings is likely to meet with a limited response. OTOH if you take the old bearing into them and tell them to match the bearing then you are likely to get a better response.

nearnexus
18th August 2015, 05:19 PM
I can understand why an email to do with bearings is likely to meet with a limited response. OTOH if you take the old bearing into them and tell them to match the bearing then you are likely to get a better response.

+1

KBs PensNmore
18th August 2015, 06:27 PM
I'm in Brisbane and I'm looking for some bearings to use in projects around the shop. I need some axial roller bearings for my chain driven twin screw vice (knock off of lie-nielsen's), some caged bearings for a re-build of my sheppach wet stone grinder and for the cam on my table saw fence build.

Every where I've looked seem to be wholesale and commercially focused. Does anyone know where I can go to get small numbers of bearings?

To get around this problem, I pull apart old printers and stuffed VCRs to get the bearings, shafts, gears, drive belts etc. So far made a couple of hand held sanders for sanding bowls, fitted a bearing on the clamp screw on the metal bandsaw, made some mini rollers.
Kryn

SurfinNev
18th August 2015, 06:28 PM
Pine Rivers Bearings on Brisbane northside at Brendale. Been going there for a long, long time. Often gone that extra step to find whatever I wanted.

Com_VC
19th August 2015, 09:08 PM
Try eBay, you can buy from Australia, new surplus stock or straight from china cheaply.

GSRocket
20th August 2015, 10:45 AM
.... when you go in to buy a packet of bolts and you get held up for half an hour by people who want 1 of this and 4 of this and 10 of the other, when they could go to <insert major hardware store here> and shop for them themselves off the shelf.
That'd be me holding you up :B but I usually get more than I need to try to limit the number visits to the bolt shop.

Grahame Collins
21st August 2015, 12:01 AM
Many places these days have a minimum order of $10 policy - which really sucks.

One of the local Mackay fastener shops has a minimum $5 purchase. Its hardly worth the paperwork to do a sale less the $5

I imagine it is to stop just that sort of thing.I can't blame them I suppose but the handyman alternative is bunnings and masters selling 6 screws in a blister for $3- ripoffs!.

I normally buy $20 to $30 at time. I only buy socket drive screws and have a selection from 3 -10 mm because of this,

All my fasteners are in labelled tackle boxes fitting into a purpose made set of pigeon holes.

Monetary constraints mean the the big fastener places don't keep the range they used to.They have fed of the mining tit for too long without concern for the diy types.
They can't cry foul now when we start to buy on line.

The local bearing shop however go out of their way to assist so I shop there when ever I can. They also keep some of the fancy stuff in lubes and glues so that a bonus.

RayG
21st August 2015, 12:26 PM
General purpose bearings, I buy from http://www.vxb.com cheap as chips, Chinese, but isn't everything.

Ray

mawhins
21st August 2015, 01:04 PM
Thrust Needle Roller 7/8"x1 7/16"x9/64" inch Bearings
VXB - $7.88 and $15.00 shipping
CBC - $9.08 and I can pickup on saturday morning so i'll go that way. Thanks for the tip on the website though.

I like the idea of salvaging parts from printers etc... Would need to stockpile them though I suppose.

george mavridis
21st August 2015, 01:24 PM
Not yet seen a bearing shop with a minimum order requirement up here....

I could imagine a bolt shop doing it, when you go in to buy a packet of bolts and you get held up for half an hour by people who want 1 of this and 4 of this and 10 of the other, when they could go to <insert major hardware store here> and shop for them themselves off the shelf.

Good luck trying to buy 1 off or 4 off in <insert major hardware store here>