PDA

View Full Version : Soft Spalted Maple

Paul39
19th August 2015, 01:41 AM
I have a bunch of spectacular figure spalted maple that has a lot of soft places. Photo below.

I roughed the outside of a bowl and had tear out on about half. The parts that are more or less solid were nice and smooth. I want to stabilize the outside, then hollow, let dry and finish.

The blank is still damp so I don't think casting resin would work. Maybe 2/3 white glue to 1/3 water painted on until it won't take any more, let dry, wrap with tape, hollow, paint inside, let dry a couple months, then finish turning.

Any thoughts?

dai sensei
19th August 2015, 10:45 AM
It will need to be stabilized in some way. Painting with thinned out PVA won't get in far, you should be using vacuum. Normal stabilisers won't work until timber is completely dry (actually 0% moister).

There is a "Wood stabilizing" group on Facebook with heaps of members from the US. You could always join and see if someone could help, or give you some guidance.

Christos
21st August 2015, 05:47 PM
It would be good to see how this one turns out.

Old Croc
21st August 2015, 07:53 PM
Paul, do a check in Sawmill Creek. I did read quite a few posts on using products you have over there that we can't get here to stabilise "punky" wood as you lot call it. It would be a shame to loose that blank.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Paul39
22nd August 2015, 02:44 AM
Paul, do a check in Sawmill Creek. I did read quite a few posts on using products you have over there that we can't get here to stabilise "punky" wood as you lot call it. It would be a shame to loose that blank.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Thanks,

I have made a vase from the second from left, bottom row, piece that was OK.

I have a few pieces left, see below.