PDA

View Full Version : Wadkin Parts

Vann
19th August 2015, 12:01 PM
Hello fellow Wadkin fanatics.

As a recent convert, I've been keeping a eye on what's around. I spotted this...

356812 356813 I don't know my Wadkins well enough to know what model it is :B.

It's too far away to pick-up, but the seller has agreed to strip any parts I want and ship them. Mostly, I'm after knobs and handles, and the price is low enough to make this worthwhile. So I'm wondering if there's anything here that people want for their machines, for the cost of shipping? Remember I'm across the Tasman from most of you.

Cheers, Vann.

Matt Matt
19th August 2015, 12:25 PM
Interesting. If you find one of these I'm interested. By the way great forum!

Stewie D
19th August 2015, 01:34 PM
There was a similar Wadkin RAS for sale on ebay recently with a 24" blade.
Biggest RAS I've ever heard about.
Stewie

Vann
19th August 2015, 05:35 PM
If you find one of these I'm interested. By the way great forum!Welcome to the Aussie forum Matt. I don't know what's on this saw yet, but if there's one, I'll let you know.

Aside: This is Matt folks. He's a Yank, but he hangs around the Canadian forum (where he's quite good - but don't tell him in case his head swells :q).

Cheers, Vann.

camoz
19th August 2015, 06:18 PM
Vann,

That's a Wadkin Bursgreen CK, or originally Wadkin CK, these are really nice small crosscut saws, I would love one myself, but they do not come up that often in Australia, although I see there are 3 available on your trade site. It's a shame it is coming to the end of it's life, but if the motor has had it or something, based on the prices they seem to be going for, it's probably off to the scrap anyway, so at least your saving parts.

If your not interested, I would love the finger guard and two screws that are holding the guard on (not sure if it is original, but looks like it fits) so I can fit it when I finally get one, and perhaps the roller bearings, if he is going that far in stripping (might be a pain to get to, so only if he is stripping it that much).

If he is sending you a box, it would be worth your while grabbing the cast control covers too, you might want them for another machine in the future to disguise the modern starters.

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r754/woodworkforum/bursgreen%20saw_zpskzfxnpya.jpg (http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/woodworkforum/media/bursgreen%20saw_zpskzfxnpya.jpg.html)

Stewie, I think the one you are referring to was a CD and they are a big cross cut and weigh almost 500kg:oo:

Matty, that got your attention....lol. I think Rob has that on one of his PK's I will see if I can grab it next time I am in Melbourne, I'm sure Rob wont mind:;

Cheers,

Camo

Allison74
19th August 2015, 06:54 PM
[

camoz
19th August 2015, 07:33 PM
[

Alli,

Are you lost for words:U, I'm wondering if anyone else has got a new Wadkin machine lately:;

auscab
19th August 2015, 08:55 PM
Matty, that got your attention....lol. I think Rob has that on one of his PK's I will see if I can grab it next time I am in Melbourne, I'm sure Rob wont mind:;

Cheers,

Camo

OI OI OI ! :D:D

Ive got two PK's Cam but only one has that lever on it . The earlier one didn't use them to lock the slider , its got the spring loaded pin the same as that that locates the main miter fence at the angles , you know , the round flat button type .

Rob

Vann
19th August 2015, 09:12 PM
Hi Camo. Thanks for the heads-up that it's a CK.

...I would love one myself, but they do not come up that often in Australia, although I see there are 3 available on your trade site.That's kind of funny. I've been searching vintagemachinery.org and the Canadian forum for Wadkin RAS - without finding anything close - and there are four on Trademe (well there were four until I bought this one :;).

...I would love the finger guard and two screws that are holding the guard on...Yours.

...and perhaps the roller bearings...I'll ask him if he's prepared to take that whole top casting off (it looks to be aluminium on this one). That way you'll get the eccentric pins (assuming there are eccentric pins :doh:) as well. Thanks for the photo with arrows (how do you do that?). It'll make it much easier to describe to the seller.

...it would be worth your while grabbing the cast control covers too, you might want them for another machine in the future to disguise the modern starters.Good idea - thanks :2tsup:

The ball lever handles are mine, as is the pull handle and guard. Also the serial number tag (if it will come off).

DSEL wants the Wadkin Bursgreen cast plate.

Anyone else?

Cheers, Vann.

camoz
19th August 2015, 09:30 PM
OI OI OI ! :D:D

Ive got two PK's Cam but only one has that lever on it . The earlier one didn't use them to lock the slider , its got the spring loaded pin the same as that that locates the main miter fence at the angles , you know , the round flat button type .

Rob

Hehe, just wanted to see if you were around

camoz
19th August 2015, 09:46 PM
Yours.

I'll ask him if he's prepared to take that whole top casting off (it looks to be aluminium on this one). That way you'll get the eccentric pins (assuming there are eccentric pins :doh:) as well. Thanks for the photo with arrows (how do you do that?). It'll make it much easier to describe to the seller.

Good idea - thanks :2tsup:

The ball lever handles are mine, as is the pull handle and guard. Also the serial number tag (if it will come off).

DSEL wants the Wadkin Bursgreen cast plate.

Anyone else?

Cheers, Vann.

Vann,

Much appreciated!! let me know when you get things sorted and we will work out postage. Don't stress too much about the rollers, but your probably right about the whole assembly, it should just roll off the front I imagine, if he takes that front plate off, so if it comes off easy, then let's do the complete assembly:

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r754/woodworkforum/7B1123F8-3352-4C24-820A-CABDD99A8B03.png_zpsytmtg9tm.jpeg (http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/woodworkforum/media/7B1123F8-3352-4C24-820A-CABDD99A8B03.png_zpsytmtg9tm.jpeg.html)

as for the arrows, I just saved your image and modified it using paintbrush (free software), Drew some red lines on your image, saved it and relished it. You should have a similar free program on your computer, if you want some instructions PM me and I will write something up for you.

Cheers,

Camo

Matt Matt
20th August 2015, 12:52 AM
Welcome to the Aussie forum Matt. I don't know what's on this saw yet, but if there's one, I'll let you know.

Aside: This is Matt folks. He's a Yank, but he hangs around the Canadian forum (where he's quite good - but don't tell him in case his head swells :q).

Cheers, Vann.
Nope, not a yank. A Canuck through an through. But good guess Eh?:2tsup: I've been here a while. Just lurking, I didn't have much to post till... I saw the title. I guess everybody's allowed to be teased a little bit. I can only hope for parts on my wish list.

What size blade can it take?

Vann
20th August 2015, 07:28 AM
Don't stress too much about the rollers, but your probably right about the whole assembly, it should just roll off the front I imagine, if he takes that front plate off, so if it comes off easy, then let's do the complete assembly:

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r754/woodworkforum/7B1123F8-3352-4C24-820A-CABDD99A8B03.png_zpsytmtg9tm.jpeg (http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/woodworkforum/media/7B1123F8-3352-4C24-820A-CABDD99A8B03.png_zpsytmtg9tm.jpeg.html)That's quite different to what I had envisaged. I meant I'd get you the top half casting only as I thought the bearings were contained in the upper half of the carriage. But it looks like the upper half is not much more than a dust cover. So it's the bottom half that would be better to get complete. Taking a guess, from the differences in paint loss/oxidisation, I'd say the bottom half is still cast iron. I'm happy to get it if you want - but remember you'll be paying for postage across the ditch. Let me know if you want the whole bottom (or both) casting - or just the bearings, caps, wheels and pins.

I see the "finger guard" (bottom left in your picture) is quite different to the one on this saw - but still worth grabbing IMHO.

The seller says the serial number is BCK 573 318 (actually he says "Machine no-BCK 573 318; Serial Number- 57992" - but I think the second number is the test number). Is a BCK different to a CK?

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
20th August 2015, 08:03 AM
Nope, not a yank. A Canuck through an through. But good guess Eh?:2tsup:... What size blade can it take?Ahh, so Oshawa in in Canada !!:google2: I don't know where I got the impression you were south of the border :doh::stupidsign:. I apologise unreservedly for insulting you so badly :;:U.

Seller says it has a 330mm (13") blade, with a 25mm hole. Probably too small for my PK :~.

Cheers, Vann

sion.dovey
20th August 2015, 08:40 AM
Matt, I may have your hand lever, i've been quietly breaking a Wadkin CD and pushing the parts off on ebay uk; it has a very similar looking lever, also I have a Wadkin CC to break too, very rusty and spent some considerable time outside, I think there is a similar lever on that one too, will have a look when its daylight again if either match up to your picture. - is your picture of the exact one you need? It looks like it maybe a picture of a snipper saw.

L.S.Barker1970
20th August 2015, 10:35 AM
Matt, I may have your hand lever, i've been quietly breaking a Wadkin CD and pushing the parts off on ebay uk; .

Oh Sion, now you say !
I'm missing some parts on my CD, are there any left over ?

Melbourne Matty.

Matt Matt
20th August 2015, 10:57 AM
Matt, I may have your hand lever, i've been quietly breaking a Wadkin CD and pushing the parts off on ebay uk; it has a very similar looking lever, also I have a Wadkin CC to break too, very rusty and spent some considerable time outside, I think there is a similar lever on that one too, will have a look when its daylight again if either match up to your picture. - is your picture of the exact one you need? It looks like it maybe a picture of a snipper saw.
Well if that's the case, I'll send you a PM. I may have few other small things. That pic is of Marks snipper.

camoz
20th August 2015, 11:04 AM
Vann,

Looking again at the image I don't know what I was thinking:doh:, I was thinking I would end up with basically opposite of the top cap, but thinking about it, it's probabbly going to be a fairly large piece of casting. i think the only feasible way would be to slide it off and then pull the rollers off (far too much stuffing around). I think it's best to just stick with the finger guard and the screws/bolts holding the finger guard on.

The only difference between the CK and the BCK is the BCK had a solid gold finger guard:D, no I should have explained better, BCK was the Wadkin Bursgreen code (Wadkin just CK). This model was being sold by Wadkin prior to Bursgreen being brought into Wadkin. The CK was put under the "Wadkin Bursgreen" range and became BCK.

Interestingly the catalogue cuts and "in the wild" BCK's I have seen have the Wadkin Bursgreen tag on the blade guard, not Wadkin, so this is either an early change over, or perhaps the guard has been replaced?

Cheers,

Camo

Matt Matt
20th August 2015, 01:36 PM
Ahh, so Oshawa in in Canada !!:google2: I don't know where I got the impression you were south of the border :doh::stupidsign:. I apologise unreservedly for insulting you so badly :;:U.

Seller says it has a 330mm (13") blade, with a 25mm hole. Probably too small for my PK :~.

Cheers, Vannhey no problem, no offense taken. A lot of people, South of me are really good folk.

The reason why I questioned the blade size is, with a few modifications that ( aluminum blade guard)could be used as a overhead guard on my PK.... Yet another thing that's missing from my PK.:( Too bad it's only 13 inches.

sion.dovey
20th August 2015, 06:03 PM
Matty, very sorry I didn't realize you were short of parts for your saw, there's still quite a bit of the CD here though, please send a pm and list your needed parts, also quite a few small bits seem to be common to the CD and CC.

The CK saw in the photos above looks to have an extension to the arm; might be worth getting?

camoz
20th August 2015, 07:01 PM
Good eye Sion!!!

Yes Vann you will want to grab that (I'm guessing it bolts on, under the front plate), you definately want that if you get yourself a CK, and if you don't ever foresee that, add it to my package, it will probably be heavy, but worth saving.

Cheers,

Camo

Vann
21st August 2015, 02:41 PM
Last orders gentlemen please. Last chance to grab a spare for a Wadkin Bursgreen BCK.

Cheers, Vann.

clear out
22nd August 2015, 07:05 AM
Last orders gentlemen please. Last chance to grab a spare for a Wadkin Bursgreen BCK.

Cheers, Vann.

Hi Vann,
There is a Wadkin jointer on TM now at scrap price.
The fence and hand wheels etc are worth more than the asking price.
H.

DaveTTC
22nd August 2015, 08:14 AM
What is TM

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Vann
22nd August 2015, 08:41 AM
What is TMTM is TradeMe - New Zealands equivilent to Ebay (ebay has little traction here as far as domestic sales go).

There is a Wadkin jointer on TM now at scrap price.Thanks H. But I have no intention of becoming a Wadkin parts dealer :no:. I only bough the CK for a few parts - but I felt embarrassed buying the whole machine, and then asking the seller to send me just 6 handles, so I thought I'd offer parts here.

I've just been offered another CK - complete and probably in working order - for just $70. I don't want it, don't need it, don't have room for it. But I know someone who does. Camoz - you have a PM :q.

Cheers, Vann.

camoz
22nd August 2015, 11:37 AM
TM is TradeMe - New Zealands equivilent to Ebay (ebay has little traction here as far as domestic sales go).

Thanks H. But I have no intention of becoming a Wadkin parts dealer :no:. I only bough the CK for a few parts - but I felt embarrassed buying the whole machine, and then asking the seller to send me just 6 handles, so I thought I'd offer parts here.

I've just been offered another CK - complete and probably in working order - for just $70. I don't want it, don't need it, don't have room for it. But I know someone who does. Camoz - you have a PM :q.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann,

Oh come on!!!:o I'm building a boat as we speak...lol. For $70, or even some of the other prices they seem to be selling for in NZ, I would consider investigating the freight costs, but I'm guessing they are not going to be cheap, anyone have any experience with this?? Something tells me I am dreaming:rolleyes:.

No PM from you Vann, don't tease...lol

Cheers,

Camo

Vann
22nd August 2015, 11:51 AM
No PM from you Vann, don't tease...lolIt's in my "sent" box. I've just re-sent it. Offer on CK expires in 6 hours - if you're game to try shipping it from NZ (Jack and Arthur have shipped several Wadkins from UK to Canada/USA).

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=934923954

Cheers, Vann (who's about to rush out the door to go to work - on a Saturday :~)

camoz
22nd August 2015, 12:18 PM
It's in my "sent" box. I've just re-sent it. Offer on CK expires in 6 hours - if you're game to try shipping it from NZ (Jack and Arthur have shipped several Wadkins from UK to Canada/USA).

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=934923954

Cheers, Vann (who's about to rush out the door to go to work - on a Saturday :~)

Oh:doh::doh:, I did reply to your last message, but through my email, so sent it back to the woodwork forum:doh:, sorry administrators and moderators.

OK sent you a reply, this time to your email address.

Thanks for the heads up on the CK, I think logistically it won't work out for me, given it's the weekend, I'm unlikely to be able to arrange transport even if SWMBO would allow me to take the time this weekend to try:U. I think I need to look into what needs to occur to transport between NZ and Australia and be prepared for the next time, especially if those are the going price.

Cheers,

Camo

L.S.Barker1970
22nd August 2015, 01:43 PM
Matty, very sorry I didn't realize you were short of parts for your saw, there's still quite a bit of the CD here though, please send a pm and list your needed parts, also quite a few small bits seem to be common to the CD and CC.

The CK saw in the photos above looks to have an extension to the arm; might be worth getting?

Sion, don't apologize, it is probably just small things like the handle mounted on the motor, the round knob for the brake, that sort of thing.
On monday I will be picking up another that has a air operated ram, I think it need major work so I'll let you know, probably do a post on it.
Here's the post on the canadian forum Rob started when we picked up the first CD.

A road trip to collect a load of Wadkin and Robinson (http://www.google.com.au/url?q=https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php%3F58329-A-road-trip-to-collect-a-load-of-Wadkin-and-Robinson&sa=U&ved=0CCYQwW4wCGoVChMI96moitO7xwIVwSqmCh3oCAMV&usg=AFQjCNEywxLlbsNyLbYVNZIBPpyYhcoLqw)

Melbourne Matty.

Vann
22nd August 2015, 03:51 PM
Sion, don't apologize, it is probably just small things like the handle mounted on the motor...Matty, if you don't have any luck with Sions parts, and if the handle is the same as the one on my parts CK, please get in contact.

Cheers, Vann.

clear out
23rd August 2015, 04:37 AM
Oh:doh::doh:, I did reply to your last message, but through my email, so sent it back to the woodwork forum:doh:, sorry administrators and moderators.

OK sent you a reply, this time to your email address.

Thanks for the heads up on the CK, I think logistically it won't work out for me, given it's the weekend, I'm unlikely to be able to arrange transport even if SWMBO would allow me to take the time this weekend to try:U. I think I need to look into what needs to occur to transport between NZ and Australia and be prepared for the next time, especially if those are the going price.

Cheers,

Camo

Cam a mate brought in 2 prewar cars from NZ about ten years ago on a navy ship.:rolleyes:
Even though the shipping was free it cost him a lot of time and more money than anticipated to get through customs and quarantine etc.
I don't think it's much cheaper to ship from NZ than the U.S. or UK.
From Japan it appears quite reasonable at least for cars.
It would be interesting to find out some prices from someone whose done it.
There are probably a few tricks to know about also another mate who brings in cars ships thru Melbourne as Sydney is a lot more hassle.
Which should be nuts as a lot of internal carrying is as expensive as os.
I think that with the amount of good stuff now coming onto the market here in Oz it's only a matter of waiting for what you want to appear locally.
Sorry for the long rave sitting here in Red Deer not doing much.
H.

camoz
23rd August 2015, 12:15 PM
Cam a mate brought in 2 prewar cars from NZ about ten years ago on a navy ship.:rolleyes:
Even though the shipping was free it cost him a lot of time and more money than anticipated to get through customs and quarantine etc.
I don't think it's much cheaper to ship from NZ than the U.S. or UK.
From Japan it appears quite reasonable at least for cars.
It would be interesting to find out some prices from someone whose done it.
There are probably a few tricks to know about also another mate who brings in cars ships thru Melbourne as Sydney is a lot more hassle.
Which should be nuts as a lot of internal carrying is as expensive as os.
I think that with the amount of good stuff now coming onto the market here in Oz it's only a matter of waiting for what you want to appear locally.
Sorry for the long rave sitting here in Red Deer not doing much.
H.

Henry,

Absolutely no need to apologize, good to hear from you, hope the trip is going well. Your of cause 100% correct, patience is what is required, but Vann is killing me with these stories of prices $70NZ for that machine:C:U. Reality is, with most of these older machines, they pretty much are just scrap value for most people, hopefully this one makes it.

I would like to know if others have attempted it though, and what their experience was, Sydney must be a real hassle if your mate would go to the extent of shipping through Melbourne, unless that's just the story he gave to his wife, as an excuse to drive his newly acquired car all the way from Melbourne to Sydney...lol

Cheers,

Camo

auscab
23rd August 2015, 12:24 PM
Marcello who post here sometimes , I dont recall his user name ATM, flew to NZ, inspected and paid for his PK and shipped it back to Melbourne .
Marcello loves his Wadkin :)

I drool at some of the Wadkin that turns up on Trade Me in NZ . I watched a PK sell for $800 a little while back . Saw some early spindle moulders as well . And a very nice early Robinson buzzer .

Rob

camoz
23rd August 2015, 12:46 PM
Vann,

It's all settled, we have all taken a vote, and it looks like your in the export business now, congratulations on your nomination and appointment...:p.

Cheers,

Camo

auscab
23rd August 2015, 12:52 PM
Marcello who post here sometimes , I dont recall his user name ATM, flew to NZ, inspected and paid for his PK and shipped it back to Melbourne .
Marcello loves his Wadkin :)

I drool at some of the Wadkin that turns up on Trade Me in NZ . I watched a PK sell for $800 a little while back . Saw some early spindle moulders as well . And a very nice early Robinson buzzer .

Rob

Im pretty sure the shipping cost $1000 ?

Vann
23rd August 2015, 04:31 PM
Vann,

It's all settled, we have all taken a vote, and it looks like your in the export business now, congratulations on your nomination and appointment...:p.I accept http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/happy/biggrin.gif. I'll get to drive all around the country picking up bargin machines along the way. Sound like a great job http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/cool.gif.

Funny though - there were four CK saws listed here last week. I bought a munted one for $50. None of the other three sold. One was listed at $100 (that's the one later offered to me at $70), another at $750, and the third was listed at $2000.

Im pretty sure the shipping cost $1000 ?Well there goes the export market http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/actions/doh.gif That was the shortest employment I've ever had http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/anoyd.gif.

Cheers, Vann http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/happy/biggrin.gif

Vann
23rd August 2015, 09:50 PM
I've contacted the seller to ask for a final few bits to be removed. These parts will now be sent to me - and the bulk (or hulk) of the machine will be scrapped (sadly) :C.

Thanks to Camoz and DSEL for showing an interest. I'll be in contact when the parts arrive (probably a week or two).

Cheers, Vann.

woodlogic
24th August 2015, 12:06 AM
Hi Vann,
There is a Wadkin jointer on TM now at scrap price.
The fence and hand wheels etc are worth more than the asking price.
H.

Hi H,

I've contacted the seller of the Wadkin jointer on TM to see if he will sell parts and post, if I were to win the auction. I'll let you know what his response is. I'm in desperate need of the front inspection plate, the cutter head guard (including the arm that attaches to the machine) and the original on/off switch. If he agrees, I'd be more than happy to add any smaller parts you want in the mix as well.

Regards,
Raymond J.B

Allison74
24th August 2015, 12:40 AM
Cam,
I didn't realise that you had such a thing for a CK.
There was one on Flea bay in Sydney late last year and it didn't sell. The guy offered it to me for $250 but by the time I added shipping it was more than I wanted to pay for a machine I really don't have the space or need for. It was the biggest of the CK's so it really would've dominated my shop.
He wound up sitting it out front of a saw doctor's workshop that he knew and someone eventually took it off his hands.

IF i'd known. Mea Culpa!!

Have fun,
Alli

clear out
24th August 2015, 02:44 AM
Hi H,

I've contacted the seller of the Wadkin jointer on TM to see if he will sell parts and post, if I were to win the auction. I'll let you know what his response is. I'm in desperate need of the front inspection plate, the cutter head guard (including the arm that attaches to the machine) and the original on/off switch. If he agrees, I'd be more than happy to add any smaller parts you want in the mix as well.

Regards,
Raymond J.B

Hi Raymond,
I was going to ship a Triumph TR cylinder head from NZ I saw on TM a while ago.
It was going to be very expensive to send so I didn't proceed.
I did buy an inlet manifold and it was ok.
Books are ok also so the weight is a killer.
Re a guard I make the parallel action swing guards for my jointers.
Lost part of a left digit thru not bothering to adjust the original guard on a Bursgreen under and over whilst edging. Only about one inch of blade showing but that was enough.
I'll see if I have a pic accessible from here in Canada and post it they are pretty easy to fabricate.
H.

Vann
24th August 2015, 08:02 AM
I've contacted the seller of the Wadkin jointer on TM to see if he will sell parts and post, if I were to win the auction. I'll let you know what his response is. I'm in desperate need of the front inspection plate... ...and the original on/off switch.Hi Raymond. I was a little disappointed that my munted CK didn't have the "front inspection plate" (by which I assume you mean the electrical door) same as on my PK bench saw - I'm sure some models of CK do have the same plate. It also appears to have lost it's original on/off switch long ago (I never thought to ask :doh:).

That buzzer (jointer) looks like it would clean up very nicely. It's almost a shame to part it out. Luckily for me it's too far away - or I'd be tempted to bid... But in reality I think I can only squeeze one more large machine into my garage - and that has to be a bandsaw (one day...) - and that'll possibly result in divorce :roll:.

Cheers, Vann.

camoz
24th August 2015, 12:28 PM
Cam,
I didn't realise that you had such a thing for a CK.

Alli,

I really can't explain my fascination with the CK, although it is very possible that it stems from my sickness for all things Stenner:cool:

Here is the Stenner version (a bit of a beast)

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r754/woodworkforum/stenner%20CAE_zpsmopua9aa.jpg (http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/woodworkforum/media/stenner%20CAE_zpsmopua9aa.jpg.html)

You knew their had to be a Stenner connection right...lol.

Anyway regardless, it has become a machine that has slipped through my fingers a few times now, either due to location or timing.

He wound up sitting it out front of a saw doctor's workshop that he knew and someone eventually took it off his hands.

I am glad your story ends with someone eventually taking the machine. I would like to think that it went back into service. I think I get a bit too sentimental about these situations, not every machine can survive if parts no longer exist, and as long as those parts are used, then the machine that gets them and becomes complete has a better chance of being saved in the future.

It was sad to know where this CK is heading, and there is now a large sense of responsibility to use these parts that Vann has been kind enough to source for me, so I will endeavour to be more vigilant in my search for this machine

It was the biggest of the CK's so it really would've dominated my shop.

I'm sure your Patternmakers Mill would have put it in it's place:U. Perhaps you may be thinking of one of Wadkin's other cross cut saws, I don't think the CK came in a different size (apart from the snippers I consider the CK the baby)? There were many so confusion would be easy, and perhaps as a final send off for this BCK, here are a few catalogue shots of some of the range of Wadkin and Wadkin Bursgreen crosscuts (Vann I hope you don't mind the hijack)

Wadkin Bursgreen BCK (previously the Wadkin CK)

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r754/woodworkforum/wadkin%20ck_zpstuipwl5a.jpg

Wadkin Bursgreen BRA

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r754/woodworkforum/wadkin%20Bursgreen%20BRA_zps1itmnah1.jpg (http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/woodworkforum/media/wadkin%20Bursgreen%20BRA_zps1itmnah1.jpg.html)

Wadkin CC

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r754/woodworkforum/Wadkin%20cc_zpscuulu5ky.png (http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/woodworkforum/media/Wadkin%20cc_zpscuulu5ky.png.html)

Wadkin CD

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r754/woodworkforum/Wadkin%20cd_zpsjl9usydo.png (http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/woodworkforum/media/Wadkin%20cd_zpsjl9usydo.png.html)

Wadkin CW

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r754/woodworkforum/Wadkin%20cw_zpsojv5oima.png (http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/woodworkforum/media/Wadkin%20cw_zpsojv5oima.png.html)

Wadkin CJ

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r754/woodworkforum/Wadkin%20cj_zpsc6vht0en.png (http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/woodworkforum/media/Wadkin%20cj_zpsc6vht0en.png.html)

Vann
24th August 2015, 04:41 PM
Vann I hope you don't mind the hijack Discussing Wadkins is fine. But if you mention Stenners again I'm coming over with a bar of soap to wash your mouth out :D

It was sad to know where this CK is heading, and there is now a large sense of responsibility to use these parts that Vann has been kind enough to source for me...Yeah. I wish I could have grabbed the whole machine - but theres 400km, Cook Strait and the Southern Alps in between...

Cheers, Vann.

jgforsberg
25th August 2015, 09:19 AM
Cooksley made that type saw too Camo.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll29/oldtool1/7c0232fbdab2286762cb0aa4b5179af9.image.600x450_zpsxuqbay1x.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/oldtool1/media/7c0232fbdab2286762cb0aa4b5179af9.image.600x450_zpsxuqbay1x.jpg.html)

and check out the tilt on the 16 " cooksley

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll29/oldtool1/cooksley_zpsiqldpusc.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/oldtool1/media/cooksley_zpsiqldpusc.jpg.html)

only the Wadkin had a riving knife

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll29/oldtool1/Riving%20knife%20BRA_zps9qdyjohb.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/oldtool1/media/Riving%20knife%20BRA_zps9qdyjohb.jpg.html)

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll29/oldtool1/Riving%20knife%20BRA%201_zpsit7w6eke.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/oldtool1/media/Riving%20knife%20BRA%201_zpsit7w6eke.jpg.html)

sion.dovey
25th August 2015, 09:54 AM
That second Cooksley has some features quite similar to an Oliver (of Manchester) radial arm saw. I have seen Cooksley badges on different makes of machines, and I wonder how much they were actually makers of themselves?

camoz
25th August 2015, 10:36 AM
Jack,

That second one looks like the type QA, and at nearly 900lb it's no lightweight:o.

Sion,

According to their catalogue, they were makers, having a London Showroom, but also a works at Egham in Surrey, Cogleton, Cheshire and at Shoreditch, London. With that said, they also offered secondhand machinery (claiming to have over 600 second hand machines).

"remember that Cooksley, in addition to an extensive manufacturing programme, are also the largest stockists of good-class, used machinery"

They offered 12months warranty on manufactured, and 6months on rebuilds. I wonder if perhaps they may have badged their rebuilds, and this is what is resulting in crooksley badged machines of other manufacturers?

Cheers,

Camo

Vann
25th August 2015, 11:01 AM
Camoz and DSEL - the parts shipped from Greymouth (South Island) to me (North Island) this morning :2tsup:. What with 400km, Cook Strait and the Southern Alps in between, I'm not expecting them to arrive for a day or three. I'll put a few pikkies up when they get here.

Cheers, Vann.

camoz
25th August 2015, 11:19 AM
Camoz and DSEL - the parts shipped from Greymouth (South Island) to me (North Island) this morning :2tsup:. What with 400km, Cook Strait and the Southern Alps in between, I'm not expecting them to arrive for a day or three. I'll put a few pikkies up when they get here.

Cheers, Vann.

Great stuff Vann, looking forward to the pictures, hopefully it has a safe trip:fingerscrossed:. Oh is it OK to mention Cooksley, I know I can't mention St***** (hey what's going on, the asterics keep comming up when I try to type St*****):U

Cheers,

Camo

Vann
26th August 2015, 11:08 AM
Sion, don't apologize, it is probably just small things like the handle mounted on the motor...Hi Matty. The handle is totally the wrong size for what I was after. If it's suitable for your CD, it's yours for the cost of postage.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
27th August 2015, 02:42 PM
...the parts shipped from Greymouth (South Island) to me (North Island) this morning :2tsup:. What with 400km, Cook Strait and the Southern Alps in between, I'm not expecting them to arrive for a day or three.:doh: wrong again. A box arrived yesterday morning, just 24 hours after it was dispatched :homer:

I was after a turned handle and ball handle levers for my Wadkin PK saw bench. The turned pull handle turns out to be much smaller than the PK one (so that was a waste of time :~). The small ball handle lever is just what I needed, but hardly worth the $50 I paid (well maybe to get one made commercially would cost more). However, the 32amp electrical plug and the modern electrical switch will cover my losses - when/if I pick up my next 3phase machine.

Now if I could just find a use for a 13" saw blade...

Cheers, Vann.

DSEL74
27th August 2015, 03:10 PM
Vann,

Get a drawing of the handle as you want it..

Vann
27th August 2015, 03:31 PM
Get a drawing of the handle as you want it..Done (I think I stole this from a post auscab did on the Canadian forum).

357809 I want to have the threaded portion extended to 21mm, as the thread in my table is a bit dodgy.

Cheers, Vann.

camoz
27th August 2015, 03:44 PM
:doh: wrong again. A box arrived yesterday morning, just 24 hours after it was dispatched :homer:

I was after a turned handle and ball handle levers for my Wadkin PK saw bench. The turned pull handle turns out to be much smaller than the PK one (so that was a waste of time :~). The small ball handle lever is just what I needed, but hardly worth the $50 I paid (well maybe to get one made commercially would cost more). However, the 32amp electrical plug and the modern electrical switch will cover my losses - when/if I pick up my next 3phase machine.

Now if I could just find a use for a 13" saw blade...

Cheers, Vann.

Vann,

I wish I could have given some advice on the parts you were seeking size comparison etc, but unfortunately as you can imagine catalogues just don't have that sort of detail. Glad that it all came to you in good condition though. Can't comment on the market in NZ, but that electrical gear should put you in front, even if you on-sold them.

Don't leave yourself short on this deal Vann, work out whats fair for what I am getting and make sure your happy, obviously I will pay for postage from your place, but I should be paying a fair share of what you paid to get the package to your place too, and a percentage of what the deal cost you with the machine, I appreciate your help, but definitely don't want to leach on the deal. I trust you will be fair, and I will of cause owe you a favour, from my end, (just ask), and of cause if I can't pay you back direct for the favour, I will look to 'Pay Forward' to another member.

I really appreciate you grabbing some parts for me, and just want to make sure you don't regret it:2tsup:.

Cheers,

Camo

Vann
27th August 2015, 04:01 PM
Don't leave yourself short on this deal Vann, work out whats fair for what I am getting and make sure your happy, obviously I will pay for postage from your place, but I should be paying a fair share of what you paid to get the package to your place too, and a percentage of what the deal cost you with the machine, I appreciate your help, but definitely don't want to leach on the deal. I trust you will be fair, and I will of cause owe you a favour, from my end, (just ask), and of cause if I can't pay you back direct for the favour, I will look to 'Pay Forward' to another member.Thank Camoz. Maybe, but I don't think so. Those parts were offered to forum members (read: fellow Wadkin nutters) for the taking - and I'll stick by that.

I had fun, I saved a few bits from the scrappie. I look to you to pay it forward. As you point out, I'll make back my costs on the modern electrical bits. I probably would have had to pay my mate $50 to make the ball handle (he has to eat too!). And maybe I can sell the blade locally (too small for the PK :roll:) and get my money back all over again. I was just having a lament in that earlier post ($50 for ONE part :doh:). I'm happy, really.

Cheers, Vann.

ps Anyway, you wait until you see what postage across the Ditch costs you...:o:C :U

camoz
27th August 2015, 04:21 PM
Thank Camoz. Maybe, but I don't think so. Those parts were offered to forum members (read: fellow Wadkin nutters) for the taking - and I'll stick by that.

I had fun, I saved a few bits from the scrappie. I look to you to pay it forward. As you point out, I'll make back my costs on the modern electrical bits. I probably would have had to pay my mate $50 to make the ball handle (he has to eat too!). And maybe I can sell the blade locally (too small for the PK :roll:) and get my money back all over again. I was just having a lament in that earlier post ($50 for ONE part :doh:). I'm happy, really.

Cheers, Vann.

ps Anyway, you wait until you see what postage across the Ditch costs you...:o:C :U

Yes, I know it will not come cheap to me, like you say though saving some parts from scrappie.

Just don't forget, unless that package came to you fixed rate regardless of weight, then remember I said I would pay for shipping, and that's shipping, so make sure you at least calculate that side of things.

"Burt, this bloke wont haggle!"

https://youtu.be/3n3LL338aGA

Cheers,

Camo

sion.dovey
27th August 2015, 05:01 PM
Looks like a good haul of bits to me, are those bearings 'FG3400'?

Vann
27th August 2015, 05:06 PM
Yes, I know it will not come cheap to me, like you say though saving some parts from scrappie.Can you turn up a handle for me? Then you won't have to pay for any postage (well nothing over $300 - a good starting point to haggle from :;).

I just love "The Life of Brian". Best Monty Python film ever.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
27th August 2015, 06:13 PM
...are those bearings 'FG3400'?Hi Sion. Nope, they're FG603.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
27th August 2015, 06:31 PM
...are those bearings 'FG3400'?Hmm. The bearings are nothing like this view (posted earlier by Camoz). There's no cap. There's no roller with a bearing in the centre, instead the outer race of the bearing is profiled to the shape of the track. So it's just a ball bearing race with a bolt through the middle.

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r754/woodworkforum/7B1123F8-3352-4C24-820A-CABDD99A8B03.png_zpsytmtg9tm.jpeg (http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/woodworkforum/media/7B1123F8-3352-4C24-820A-CABDD99A8B03.png_zpsytmtg9tm.jpeg.html)

Cheers, Vann.

camoz
27th August 2015, 07:10 PM
Can you turn up a handle for me? Then you won't have to pay for any postage (well nothing over $300 - a good starting point to haggle from :;).

I just love "The Life of Brian". Best Monty Python film ever.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann

What handle is it? I was thinking when you said handle, it was steel, otherwise I would have offered before you asked. I've got the gear to do both, but the little Sheraton metal lathe I have needs a good service first (it's in the line), and then all that's required is for me to learn what I am doing:B (I've never turned on a metal lathe before).

Have you got one to get some dimensions from? If it's metal, if you can wait a few months, I could have a go.

cheers,

Camo

"$300....for that...you must be mad"...lol

Vann
27th August 2015, 08:08 PM
357809 I want to have the threaded portion extended to 21mm, as the thread in my table is a bit dodgy.

Cheers, Vann.This one Camo.

I've done a little metal turning, years ago. But I don't have any metalworking machines, just vice, hacksaw, and files - unless you count the Denbigh drill press (and a dozen post drills :q). I could get a mate here to do it, but it's his living and he does charge me - at the lower end of his normal rates. On the other hand, I can see a few pins etc may be required for the PK double mitre fence and I may be better getting him to turn those...

Anyway, did you get my emails regarding the CK parts?

Cheers, Vann.

camoz
27th August 2015, 08:56 PM
This one Camo.

I've done a little metal turning, years ago. But I don't have any metalworking machines, just vice, hacksaw, and files - unless you count the Denbigh drill press (and a dozen post drills :q). I could get a mate here to do it, but it's his living and he does charge me - at the lower end of his normal rates. On the other hand, I can see a few pins etc may be required for the PK double mitre fence and I may be better getting him to turn those...

Anyway, did you get my emails regarding the CK parts?

Cheers, Vann.

Vann,

I had a feeling that was the type of handle you were looking for. I believe my attempt would look....well lets just say nothing like that:oo:. Haven't checked emails, will have a look now.

cheers,

Camo

camoz
5th December 2015, 04:26 PM
An update to this post, and a big thank you to Vann for all his assistance!!

So for those that remember I put my hand up for some parts from this machine, even though I did not even own a CK. Normally this would not be something I would do (as what do you do when you don't end up getting the machine, so it's a bit stupid), but this was a bit of an unusual case for me. Firstly it's a machine I am certain I will buy when it comes up for sale at the right time and price, secondly the parts I acquired are either parts that are likely to be needed to repair wear, or parts that are not standard on the ones I have seen (special order stuff), and lastly this machine was definitely going to make it's way to scrap, so I was saving parts, not turning a usable machine into a parts machine.

Now Vann lives in New Zealand and I live in Australia, so common sense would suggest it wasn't going to work out for me to grab anything, but looking at the machine, there was a few things I would regret not grabbing, when I finally track down a CK for myself.

So without embarrassing Vann, he really was very helpful. Apart from taking great care to wrap them so they would arrive undamaged, he was always looking for the cheapest option to get them to me, even going as far as asking the if anyone could Rucker them for me, so I know there will be some good Karma headed his way, and I will stand ready to help him if he ever needs anything shipped that I can help with.

So what did I get, well here it is:

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r754/woodworkforum/DD8DAECE-93CB-4E79-849A-B5E98DE7FD3D_zpsmob2cvn4.jpg (http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/woodworkforum/media/DD8DAECE-93CB-4E79-849A-B5E98DE7FD3D_zpsmob2cvn4.jpg.html)

Your probably at this stage thinking what are you thinking, and for just any machine you would be right, but like I said the CK is a quest machine for me. The two items that really caught my eye was this guard (I've given it a quick go with a wire wheel to show why I was interested), that's one solid casting.

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r754/woodworkforum/AEA4A4CA-D900-4997-B83C-76C4DF805045_zpsf6uab6u6.jpg (http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/woodworkforum/media/AEA4A4CA-D900-4997-B83C-76C4DF805045_zpsf6uab6u6.jpg.html)

Should give a bit of bling when cleaned uphttps://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/images/smilies/cool.png, and a more practical piece, top right in the first picture, is an extension piece, a special order item, which gives more travel (something that might not be needed all the time, but handy to have when you need it, and something I am unlikely to find again). Lastly, was the four roller bearings, a part that could come warn on one of these machines, and difficult to rectify without original spares.

So all in all it was by no means a cheap exercise (not that Vann charged me for them other than what it cost him in postage, but I did slip a bit more in, for a few beers or a lunch), but for what I have, I'm happy to have them. I will clean up, oil and store them. Next step find a CK at the right time, right price, and right placehttps://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/images/smilies/1biggrin.gif.

Cheers,

Camo

Vann
5th December 2015, 07:39 PM
...Next step find a CK at the right time, right price, and right placehttps://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/images/smilies/1biggrin.gif. And hope like heck, that it doesn't already have the extension :D.

A pleasure to help Camoz. I wish you luck in your quest for the perfect RAS.

Cheers, Vann.

ps That other RAS (that I PMed you about) sold for mega-bucks. I missed out (probably a good thing :q).

woodlogic
5th December 2015, 08:27 PM
That's a good move on your behalf, Cam. I know with the Wadkin machines I own there are parts that I'm still hopelessly looking for - particularly original switches, hand screws and accessories. And it's lovely to read your valiant effort, Vann. I tend to give parts away when I have a broken spare machine or have purchased various parts off the net, from Wadkin tags to jointer gauges. Who knows, I might use it one day, or if not, I'd be happy for a likeminded enthusiast to take off my hands hands. So salute to you Vann, well done mate.

Regards,
Raymond.

Vann
6th December 2015, 02:41 AM
I know with the Wadkin machines I own there are parts that I'm still hopelessly looking for - particularly... ...hand screws....Handwheels? What size?

The handwheel, top right in this picture...

...just looks silly as a piece of "art". It's a Bursgreen era, aluminium one.

Cheers, Vann.

woodlogic
18th December 2015, 06:48 PM
I'm looking for the handscrews that attach to the dust plate for the PK and an original start/stop switch. Below is a picture of the handscrews.

Raymond

Vann
19th December 2015, 04:48 AM
I'm looking for the handscrews that attach to the dust plate for the PK...Ahh, those handscrews. If you find two sets, let me know - my PK is also missing those (and the dust guard).

Can I ask the Serial and Test numbers of your PK please?

Cheers, Vann.

Matt Matt
19th February 2016, 01:50 PM
Ahh, those handscrews. If you find two sets, let me know - my PK is also missing those (and the dust guard).

Can I ask the Serial and Test numbers of your PK please?

Cheers, Vann.
I made a template of the dust guard and sent it to Dave in the US. If he still has the copy, maybe he'll send it to you.