PDA

View Full Version : Router Bits

David V Jones
22nd August 2015, 12:07 PM
I'm new to routing. I have just purchased a Triton (big one) and mounted it I a KREG table. I wish to make toys using a pattern. I am having success at the moment routing 19 pine but I need to glue two together to get the desired thickness I want.
Can you routers out there please advise where I might be able to get a 40-50m straight sided trimming cutter
I see in America they suggest a 1/2" four bladed cutter is the best (Italian made). Have not been able to find them in Australia. Any help would be appreciated as I enjoy making small toys as we raise money for he local nursing home.

Damienol
22nd August 2015, 12:32 PM
I am sure i have seen them at Bunnings

the Freud brand they stock is up there with the best

spokeshave
22nd August 2015, 08:43 PM
Hi Dave.

Carbi-tool have flush trimming bits in this length (50.8mm) and also an inverted flush trimming bit in the same length but they are 2 flute only.

http://envirocatalogue.com.au/Carbitool_Website_2012/Router_Bit/#/10/zoomed

Hope the link works.

Steven.

ian
23rd August 2015, 12:21 AM
you may also want to consider a spiral bit

http://envirocatalogue.com.au/Carbitool_Website_2012/Router_Bit/

they tend to be a bit pricey but minimal chip out

Dengue
23rd August 2015, 08:40 AM
Carb- i-tool make really good quality router bits here in Australia. They have plenty of tungsten carbide on the edges which allow for many sharpenings. Pays to buy Australian, give the, a ring, great to deal with and quick delivery

Lappa
23rd August 2015, 09:08 AM
:whs:

Just bought both the 50.8mm trimming bits - great value!

RoyG
23rd August 2015, 07:13 PM
It might be worth having a look at these Torquata router bits that Timbecon are selling. I haven't had a chance to try them yet, but one person who has tried them tells me that he was very impressed. It's a three flute down sheer Flush Trim Router Bit. It's pretty big; 1/2 inch shank, 50.8 mm long and 22mm diameter.

The pic at left is taken from Timbecon's advert in the latest issue (# 088) of Australian Wood Review. I've ordered one to try as I need to replace my old CMT 50mm Flush Trib bit that has been sharpened a few too many times. It'll be good to see how the CMT and Torquata bits compare.

Regards,

RoyG

elanjacobs
23rd August 2015, 08:08 PM
+1 for Carbitool
Those 3 wing bits look interesting, Roy, and the price is pretty good.

Gerryattrick
24th August 2015, 01:39 PM
Linbide do a good range of quality bits

http://www.linbide.com/

Big Shed
24th August 2015, 01:47 PM
The majority of my router bits are Torquata from Timbecon, including a full set for my Incra LS Positioner. They have done a very good job at a reasonable cost as at the time Timbecon was running a lot of specials on the Torquata range. I have quite a few different ones.

I also have CarbiTool and CMT bits and they are good as well, I even have one of those sets that used to be advertised in AWR and use them regularly as well.

David V Jones
24th August 2015, 06:11 PM
Thanks everyone for your help and support. It is great there are people out there willing to help.

I'm in the process of ordering a trial bit to see if it meets my needs. I think it will.

DJ

aldav
25th August 2015, 07:43 PM
Any help would be appreciated as I enjoy making small toys as we raise money for he local nursing home.

:2tsup: