PDA

View Full Version : Kennametal holder

morrisman
22nd August 2015, 09:50 PM
This holder came in a box of bits. The holder STGCR 1010 has a positive rake seat for the carbide bit . it is a 10mm holder . Is that CCMT bit in there ? The holder looks ideal for a small hobby lathe

pipeclay
22nd August 2015, 10:18 PM
No.

morrisman
22nd August 2015, 10:37 PM
No.
What is it then ?

scottyd
22nd August 2015, 10:38 PM
It appears to take TCMT inserts according to google. CCMT's are a rhombus shape.

morrisman
22nd August 2015, 10:48 PM
It appears to take TCMT inserts according to google. CCMT's are a rhombus shape.

Yep just found it thanks

KBs PensNmore
22nd August 2015, 11:05 PM
Are you able to use it, or is it tooooo small.:rolleyes:
Kryn

morrisman
22nd August 2015, 11:24 PM
Are you able to use it, or is it tooooo small.:rolleyes:
Kryn

Will give it a try on the Sheraton and see how it performs. The insert in it has a sharp edge , unlike many of the carbide inserts which are blunt .

KBs PensNmore
23rd August 2015, 12:10 AM
Will give it a try on the Sheraton and see how it performs. The insert in it has a sharp edge , unlike many of the carbide inserts which are blunt .

Looks like you'll need to buy a diamond wheel, to fit on the grinder and sharpen them.:D
Kryn

nearnexus
23rd August 2015, 11:15 AM
This holder came in a box of bits. The holder STGCR 1010 has a positive rake seat for the carbide bit . it is a 10mm holder . Is that CCMT bit in there ? The holder looks ideal for a small hobby lathe

It's run of the mill TCMT. The insert in the photo is positive rake and has a chip breaker.

Negative rake TCMT generally don't have a chip breaker and the insert mount is angled down.

You can use TCMT on any size lathe - especially good for small lathes due to the small radius tip.

morrisman
23rd August 2015, 07:27 PM
Well had a play and not too bad . The depth of cut is limited to about .010" as its only a small lathe , I tried changing the approach angle of the insert and this seems to help . The facing cuts are OK too . This is the best result I've had with a carbide insert on the Little Sheraton. BTW I dont have a clue what type of steel this is

nearnexus
23rd August 2015, 08:08 PM
Well had a play and not too bad . This is the best result I've had with a carbide insert on the Little Sheraton. BTW I dont have a clue what type of steel this is

TCMT are good little inserts, and that finish is about average. Keep the speed up for best results.

With 1080 or similar good machining steel the finish will be mirror quality, provided you take a decent cut.

These inserts are no good for light cuts (like most carbide).

TCMT will go through thick case hardening no problem, even on a small lathe. The small radius tip makes this possible.

On my Chinese 10 x 18 CQ9325 I can easily go 1 mm cuts on machine grade steel with these cutters.

Rob

scottyd
23rd August 2015, 09:26 PM
whats the lathe typically capable of in terms of DoC and feed rate?

When I swap from HSS to tungsten, I up the feed rate and pile on some speed. Slow feed rates do not work at all, gotta plough on in there.

morrisman
23rd August 2015, 09:41 PM

When I swap from HSS to tungsten, I up the feed rate and pile on some speed. Slow feed rates do not work at all, gotta plough on in there.
Hi

Well if I slow it right down and engage the back gear and use a very slow feed rate , the Sheraton 9 AR can do 5mm deep cuts in 12L14 steel no problem. I like plunging into aluminium with deep cuts and watching the thick swarth come off , sort of a therapy it is .

I think that the test piece I was trying out with the TCMT is a bit of stainless , its been sitting around for years in the junk box and it has no rust on it .

nearnexus
23rd August 2015, 09:48 PM

+1

pipeclay
23rd August 2015, 09:56 PM
Your feed rate should not exceed the nose radius.

19brendan81
26th August 2015, 01:54 PM
The depth of cut is limited to about .010" as its only a small lathe

That's a very small depth of cut. My experience with carbide is that TCMT inserts wont tolerate DOCs that small very well.They do best when taking at least 1mm off diameter.As others mentioned – you need to use a heap of RPM too…im normally machining at or above 1000rpms when im using my TCMTs.I often use mine with a fine feed without issue…but I really notice the finish deteriorate if its too slow or too shallow of a cut.

TCGT inserts are fantastic and can take very fine cuts and result in amazing finish. Id be buying some of those for that holder if I were you.

morrisman
26th August 2015, 07:48 PM
The depth of cut is limited to about .010" as its only a small lathe

That's a very small depth of cut. My experience with carbide is that TCMT inserts wont tolerate DOCs that small very well.They do best when taking at least 1mm off diameter.As others mentioned – you need to use a heap of RPM too…im normally machining at or above 1000rpms when im using my TCMTs.I often use mine with a fine feed without issue…but I really notice the finish deteriorate if its too slow or too shallow of a cut.

TCGT inserts are fantastic and can take very fine cuts and result in amazing finish. Id be buying some of those for that holder if I were you.

Remember its only a little lathe with a 3/4 hp motor and I was machining stainless steel of some type in that example. Yes I agree with everything you wrote , the TCGT inserts are the preferred inserts , the surface speed is really what we are talking about , the diam. etc plus the rpm MIKE