PDA

View Full Version : Router Advice...

ventureoverland
24th August 2015, 10:22 AM
Hi All,
Following on from my previous posts Im now starting to look for a plunge router. Many people seem to suggest Triton, Makita or Hitachi. Ive used my fathers OLD Makita previously and a mates Worx router - The Worx (UK machine) has soft start and I found that nice, it was also a lot quieter than the old Makita!

To start with I'll be using it free hand (not on a table). One of the first jobs will be to cut 6mm grooves in drawer sides for the drawer bases on my garage storage unit. Depending on how much space I can free up I may also introduce somewhere for the router to sit in the drawer cabinet.

As some of you already know I don't have a table saw (nor do I really have the space for one).

I have found local to me, offered for sale as 1 used lot a Triton TRA001 and the Triton TSA001 circular saw - $300. Firstly, is this OK money for the two tools? Secondly, is the TRA001 simply too big to use when not mounted in a table, or would I be much better advised to look at the Triton MOF001? Im interested in these two because I could also use the circular saw and had thought about making some sort of collapsable table that I could mount it in to fashion a kind of table saw for when the need arises.

As a second question, the Triton website says that the MOF001 has a 1/4" and 8mm collet, whereas other websites suggests its also a 1/2" machine. I want a 1/2" collet machine (buy once, buy right approach) - Can anyone confirm if its a 1/2" collet?

Thoughts please gents.

Jon

Thylacene
25th August 2015, 12:39 AM
I have the TRA001 mounted in a table, personally I reckon it is a bit to large for freehand, but I am also not overly confident, I have a double handle plunge Makita that is tuff enough for the bigger jobs, and a smaller Ryobi trimmer for fine work. I picked the Makita and the Ryobi up secondhand for the right money. I also have a dremel and router plate for very fine work.

The Triton is the pick for grunt, but the sheer bulk makes it unwieldy on smaller jobs.

1/2 inch collet is better, but 1/4 is still quite workable, I had a very ordinary fixed black and decker dating back to the 70's that I used for 20 years with no issues.

MOF is a /4 collet

ventureoverland
25th August 2015, 09:42 AM
I have the TRA001 mounted in a table, personally I reckon it is a bit to large for freehand, but I am also not overly confident, I have a double handle plunge Makita that is tuff enough for the bigger jobs, and a smaller Ryobi trimmer for fine work. I picked the Makita and the Ryobi up secondhand for the right money. I also have a dremel and router plate for very fine work.

The Triton is the pick for grunt, but the sheer bulk makes it unwieldy on smaller jobs.

1/2 inch collet is better, but 1/4 is still quite workable, I had a very ordinary fixed black and decker dating back to the 70's that I used for 20 years with no issues.

MOF is a /4 collet

Thanks for this... much appreciated.

With regards the collet sizes across the range Im left a little confused... Is this a Triton Marketing strategy?

Baby JOF001 = 1010W, 1/2" collet, NO rack & pinion plunge
Middle MOF001 = 1400W, 1/4" collet, rack & pinion plunge
Beast TRA001 = 2400W, 1/2" collet, rack & pinion plunge

Why would the smallest motor (JOF001) have a larger collet than a bigger motor (MOF001) when clearly the larger motor will apply more torque to the router bit shaft?

Id buy the MOF in an instant if it had a 1/2" collet. The thing that puts me off the TRA is the weight, knowing that I will be using it 'freehand'.

Decisions decisions...

Can anyone advise which is the comparable / recommended Makita? I am somewhat confused by the model numbers...

Thx
J

Lappa
25th August 2015, 04:09 PM
MOF001, TRA001 and JOF001 all come with both 1/2" and 1/4" collets in Australia. You can get 6mm and 12 mm for overseas markets.

doug3030
25th August 2015, 05:27 PM
The thing that puts me off the TRA is the weight, knowing that I will be using it 'freehand'.

If you have concerns about the sizeof the TRA for handheld work it is probably too big for you. I am a big bloke and used to be extremely fit and strong and I used to use the TRA above the table until I sustained a hand injury when I had to disarm an idiot with a knife (that is the idiot had the knife at the start of the encounter and I had it at the end, at the price of some severed nerves and tendons in my left hand)

When I got back to woodworking after this I bought the MOF as it was a struggle to use the TRA freehand. Actually the MOF is powerful enough to do most things mounted in the table too, but the TRA has found a permanent home in there so the MOF is exclusively handheld. I would recommend the MOF for handheld unless you are over 6' and work out a fair bit.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Doug

aldav
25th August 2015, 07:26 PM
I have 2 Makita's, an RP2301FC in the table and a 3612 for hand held work (it's too big). If I was starting out and looking for an all rounder now I would be buying the RT0700C kit with all the bases. What a fabulously versatile machine. To get a decent deal you would need to look around and also possibly consider buying from the UK or Germany.
Like most others I'm a bit one-eyed about my choice of tool brands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCvm7Zw4aQI

Damienol
25th August 2015, 07:53 PM
The TRA001 is too big. I never take it out of my table.

I also have the smaller Triton and it is fine. I often droul over the dewalt -
https://sydneytools.com.au/dewalt-d26204k-900w-8mm-premium-combination-multibase-plunge-fixed-base-router-trimmer

that said you can never have too many routers 😁

doug3030
25th August 2015, 10:12 PM
... that said you can never have too many routers 😁

I only have six ... or is it seven if you count he rotary tool that I sometimes use as a router. Thats nowhere near too many :no:

Cheers

Doug

Jone5y
25th August 2015, 10:44 PM
I often droul over the dewalt -
https://sydneytools.com.au/dewalt-d26204k-900w-8mm-premium-combination-multibase-plunge-fixed-base-router-trimmer

I bought one of these on ebay as an impulse buy, practically new. In a moment of buyers remorse, sold it almost immediately as I already had a router. One week later it died :((

ventureoverland
28th August 2015, 08:30 AM
Thanks all for the advice, much appreciated.

Im a big enough and young enough bloke so know I could move the TRA around OK, but I suspect its a case of "just because I could doesn't mean I should!" I will heed the advice of you guys and forget the TRA.

That then moves me forward to what else - Obviously the smaller Tritons and now the small 1/4" Dewalt DW26204 or the 1/4 Makita RT0700.

I had previously seen these two little machines but in all honesty quickly glanced over them without realising their capabilities, or the wide range of cutters available for them - probably because of my perceptions of what a router should look like and be!

At this stage I suspect either the Dewalt or Makita would probably fill my needs - rounding / profiling edges, 6mm & 12mm grooves for drawers, possibly the odd French cleat (until I get a saw).

In terms of cost - the two smaller Tritons and the Dewalt & Makita (including plunge bases, fence etc) are roughly similar money. Would there be a good reason to buy one over the others or is it very much a case of same capabilities, different brand and doesn't really matter? Differences I can see are Makita RT0700 has a tilting base available (could allow a straight bit to cut a french cleat rather than buying a new 45^ cutter). Small Triton has a 1/2 collet and a bit more power, possibly will be a bit more stable during use (??) and would probably be better suited to mount in a table if I ever had the need. Both Dewalt & Makita are lighter than the small Triton - not sure if thats a plus or minus?

Final thoughts please gents.

Thx
J

Chief Tiff
8th September 2015, 09:07 AM
If that offer of the TRA and the saw is still good I'd take it. $300 is at the upper end of what I'd consider paying for secondhand tools but as I don't know their condition or history I can't really comment on the fairness of price.

Yes, the TRA is a bit of a handful if used by hand, but it's not that bad and I found it easier to use freehand than the big DeWalt 627 I learned routing on. The wide base and low motor height give it a very low centre of gravity. The fence also can act as an extra long base to give even more support when doing edge work, all other routers need an auxiliary base to achieve the same effect. I have one mounted in the table and now a JOF for handheld work. About the only annoyance on all the Triton routers is the on/off switch, it's rather... hmm... unpopular with the majority of users. Personally I can live with it though.

You say you don't have room for a router table? My first table was a small sheet of 1/4" ply screwed to the router base and the whole thing held in a Black and Decker workmate. The fence was just a battern clamped to the ply. Crude, but very effective. It's not beyond the realms of fantasy to design and construction a small and simple collapsible table that can hold the router or the circular saw.

The saw is really good too, I have two of them. At this time I'm ripping 40mm thick redgum slabs with it, fitted with a thin kerf Irwin ripping blade it just powers through the timber. The micro adjustable depth and angle adjusters put this saw head and shoulders above the majority of 9-1/4" saws.

Bob38S
8th September 2015, 09:59 AM
I have 2 big Hitachi 1/2 inch routers and a tiny Dremel router attachment.

All work extremely well and I have never felt that the big ones were too much or too big.

The only time I felt a small one might be better was when working on edges or narrow bits which were too big for the table. Solved the so called problem by changing the balance point of the router.

If you think it could work for you, go for it.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=34821

ventureoverland
17th September 2015, 10:13 PM
You say you don't have room for a router table? My first table was a small sheet of 1/4" ply screwed to the router base and the whole thing held in a Black and Decker workmate. The fence was just a battern clamped to the ply. Crude, but very effective. It's not beyond the realms of fantasy to design and construction a small and simple collapsible table that can hold the router or the circular saw.

The saw is really good too, I have two of them. At this time I'm ripping 40mm thick redgum slabs with it, fitted with a thin kerf Irwin ripping blade it just powers through the timber. The micro adjustable depth and angle adjusters put this saw head and shoulders above the majority of 9-1/4" saws.

Thanks for this. I have a Black & Decker Workmate and had actually thought I maybe able to make a table of sorts by suspending the router between the Workmate open jaws and off a thick plywood base...

I've more or less decided that I need to goto somewhere like VEK or Carbatec (Triton stockists) and physically hold both the TRA and the MOF and go with which feels best.

Thx
J

saladonion
19th April 2016, 09:27 PM
Hi J,

Just wondering, what you ended up getting? I am thinking Dewalt DW26204.

Cheers,

S

Thanks all for the advice, much appreciated.

Im a big enough and young enough bloke so know I could move the TRA around OK, but I suspect its a case of "just because I could doesn't mean I should!" I will heed the advice of you guys and forget the TRA.

That then moves me forward to what else - Obviously the smaller Tritons and now the small 1/4" Dewalt DW26204 or the 1/4 Makita RT0700.

I had previously seen these two little machines but in all honesty quickly glanced over them without realising their capabilities, or the wide range of cutters available for them - probably because of my perceptions of what a router should look like and be!

At this stage I suspect either the Dewalt or Makita would probably fill my needs - rounding / profiling edges, 6mm & 12mm grooves for drawers, possibly the odd French cleat (until I get a saw).

In terms of cost - the two smaller Tritons and the Dewalt & Makita (including plunge bases, fence etc) are roughly similar money. Would there be a good reason to buy one over the others or is it very much a case of same capabilities, different brand and doesn't really matter? Differences I can see are Makita RT0700 has a tilting base available (could allow a straight bit to cut a french cleat rather than buying a new 45^ cutter). Small Triton has a 1/2 collet and a bit more power, possibly will be a bit more stable during use (??) and would probably be better suited to mount in a table if I ever had the need. Both Dewalt & Makita are lighter than the small Triton - not sure if thats a plus or minus?

Final thoughts please gents.

Thx
J

ventureoverland
3rd May 2016, 10:34 AM
Sorry for the late reply... I ended up getting the Bosch GOF1600 CE.

When I got the Tritons in my hand they just didn't feel right - a personal thing I'm sure because on paper there's nothing wrong with them.

I'm very happy with the Bosch.

Next purchase I think will be a few tool CT 36 dust extractor - those routers are dirty things:)

Thx
Jon