PDA

View Full Version : Fitting an Airshield?

Phily
25th August 2015, 01:41 PM
A couple of months back I invested in a Trend Airshield as it offers both a face shield and a reasonably high quality air filter. But I have found it noisy, uncomfortable and irritating. Logic suggests that I must be doing something wrong as the Airshield has been on the market for many years so surely by now any design issues would have been resolved? So on that basis I am hoping that some other folk out there have worked out the fitting issues and can provide guidance on how to get the best out of the unit.

First issue is the headband. The strap adjuster has a very lightweight mechanism and needs only the slightest touch to spring out of its locked position. I find that I am continuously having to re set the strap (which incidentally I find quite uncomfortable as it has very little padding). Is there any way to solidly lock in the strap setting?

Secondly, I have been unable to find a happy medium between the strap being too tight and being too loose. The issue is seems to be related to the weight of the filter unit combined with a low grip/hard strap. Bending over to do detail work, the mask slips forward so that the shield ends up being help in place by my nose. If I tighten the strap to stop the slip, I get a compression headache. Any suggestions on how to resolve very much appreciated.

Third is the noise. Forget listening to music in the background! I find the constant whining of the motor quite draining. One thought is to invest in the ear defenders in hope that they both help hold the mask in place and reduce the noise from the unit itself. They are however quite expensive so I am reluctant to go down this course before getting feedback on how effective they really are.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Phily

Toymaker Len
25th August 2015, 02:53 PM
The good news is that you are right in all your criticisms and the other wearable breathing units are just as bad in their own ways. The bad news is that the ear protectors are incredibly difficult to fit and don't help hold the thing steady on your head at all - besides being overpriced. I think the ones with the filter and motor mounted on a belt are more comfortable and lighter on the head and neck. As it is the woodworking world are waiting for somebody to come up with a properly designed comfortable, light, reliable, well sealing, safe, reasonably priced unit that protects head, eyes, lungs and hearing. Lets hope we don't have to wait too much longer.

Phily
25th August 2015, 03:21 PM
Thanks Len, I suspected as much after seeing a few comments on the web. I hope that anyone thinking of buying an Airshield (or apparently any of the other similar units) thinks twice about parting with their cash. Hopefully one day soon Trend, or similar, will listen to to the market and put some serious effort into designing a unit that works.

If anyone from Trend reads this post please note that I would be happy to partake in a redesign process and/or be a guinea pig for prototypes. Send me a PM.

Cheers
Phily

dai sensei
25th August 2015, 08:06 PM
A couple of months back I invested in a Trend Airshield ... But I have found it noisy, uncomfortable and irritating.

I have a PureLite (a local supplier and I a discount and 2 batteries for same price as the Trend at the time - http://otbproducts.com.au/product/purelite-xstream-lightweight-battery-powered-airshield/), I thought was exactly the same as the Trend, and love it. Like having aircon on your face, perfect for the tropics.

First issue is the headband. The strap adjuster has a very lightweight mechanism and needs only the slightest touch to spring out of its locked position. I find that I am continuously having to re set the strap (which incidentally I find quite uncomfortable as it has very little padding). Is there any way to solidly lock in the strap setting?

With mine you pull the knob out, adjust, then push knob back into lock in place. I thought the Trend had the same, but perhaps not, or you are twisting the knob without unlocking first :?

Secondly, I have been unable to find a happy medium between the strap being too tight and being too loose. The issue is seems to be related to the weight of the filter unit combined with a low grip/hard strap. Bending over to do detail work, the mask slips forward so that the shield ends up being help in place by my nose. If I tighten the strap to stop the slip, I get a compression headache. Any suggestions on how to resolve very much appreciated.

The adjusting knobs on the side can be tightened so the shield doesn't move as you tilt your head, ie it stays in the same place relative to your face.

Third is the noise. Forget listening to music in the background! I find the constant whining of the motor quite draining. One thought is to invest in the ear defenders in hope that they both help hold the mask in place and reduce the noise from the unit itself. They are however quite expensive so I am reluctant to go down this course before getting feedback on how effective they really are.

I find mine is pretty good, although when the battery gets low (but not low enough for alarm), it does get louder (not sure why). I have 2 batteries, one for use, the other on charge or already charged ready. Be warned, they do not like being left on the charger, mine certainly doesn't have an auto off charge function.

There are a lot of standard ear-muff attachments that should fit, not just the Trend system, they do work but I do not recommend any. I need to listen to the wood turning to get that split second warning you get before a piece departs. I may be half deaf but can still hear it and even a split second can make a difference. When a decent sized piece hits you in the face, even with a faceshield, it still hurts (especially if you fall over a nearby chair :rolleyes:).

Hope this helps

Phily
25th August 2015, 08:49 PM
Certainly looks and sounds like the Trend, even the adjustments sound the same. As an aside, the aircon might be nice in QLD but it reached a max of 9 degrees here today!!! brrrrrr :C

I've followed all the suggested adjustment steps but am unable to find that happy balance. Like you am reticent on using ear protectors as listening to the wood provides the best indicator of thickness - especially in hollow vessels. I'm thinking of gluing a strip of thicker soft material to the head strap to create the grip and comfort without having excessive pressure. I might even put some padding inside to assist dampen the motor noise. If it works, I'll update the post.

I hear you re overcharging the batteries. My solution has been a $15 timer from Bunnings. I still have to guess how long the charger should be on for, but it at least reduces the risk of overcharging.

Cheers
Phily

Mobyturns
25th August 2015, 11:16 PM
Which model is it?

There is an earlier version and a much latter model. The earlier version Trend Airshield is to my knowledge identical to the Purelite of the same vintage. The latter model Trend Airshield Pro is the subject of many treads about the headband breaking etc on other forums.

I have two of the Purelite Airshields and have had them for around ten years. Mine don't create any issues for me as I have made up an auxillary battery pack which gives much longer running time & takes the weight of the batteries out of the unit. The earlier ones were also fitted by size - similar to hat sizes.

Phily
26th August 2015, 11:02 AM
Given the feedback I decided to have a go at improving the comfort and soundproofing of the Airshield. I inserted a disk of high density foam above the top headband and a strip of the same material onto the top headband itself to provide more cushioning. I then glued a thicker & softer strip of high density foam to the front headband (I also drilled a few holes into the foam to help it breath). The original foam pads were also re-used (the front one had to be glued in place). I was very pleased with the immediate improvement in both comfort and noise dampening. Also, because of the improved fit, the tensioning knob didn't have to be tensioned as high and as a consequence it held its position, thus eliminating a very annoying problem.

Out of curiosity following Mobyturns comment, I removed the battery to see how the helmet would feel. Also quite surprising. The battery itself doesn't feel that heavy but after trying the Airshield without it I realised how much the battery contributes toward the top heaviness. I'll definitely be looking into this further - any advice Mobyturns very much appreciated.

In summary, I started the post feeling pretty cranky about the comfort and fit of the Airshield, especially given its price. Having invested a tiny bit of brain power and 10 minutes of time I've substantially improved both, and reduced the level of noise. A bit more fiddling and I'll have a pretty good solution. Time for a smug cup of coffee :U

Alby123
26th August 2015, 11:58 AM
Hi Phily I can understand where you are coming from because when I looked at purchasing that type of dust protection I almost purchased the Airshield model. However that was not the case I purchased the Purelite model, now bear in mind this took place around 1990 when I first started woodturning. Surprisingly the unit still functions as it did when I first bought it. The only thing I've had to do is to get the batteries repacked by Battery World earlier this year.
This post is not intended to have a go at you but there are many purchases that I have made where I really stuffed up and didn't do my homework properly before making the purchase. Henceforth for some items I ended up spending twice as much to correct my poor decision making so don't be to hard on yourself as there would be a lot of craftsman out there that have been in similar situations and not said anything to anyone for fear of embarrassment from their friends.
Fortunately we have forums like this one where we can get assistance without the embarrassment and resolve our individual problems that we all have from time to time. I sincerely hope that your problems with the Airshield can be resolved without too much extra costs.

Phily
26th August 2015, 12:41 PM
Thanks Alby, agree entirely and hence my post. Sometimes its not so easy to undertake the required due diligence prior to a purchase and forums can be very valuable in that regard. Case in point, I researched the Airshield on line and saw some mixed reviews - but factored in that it is impossible to please everyone, so I made the investment. The problems I experienced only manifested after a few hours of use at which time I began to regret my decision.

I started the post with the objective of warning others to think twice about the Airshield and it has to be said, for the money, it is neither well made nor well designed. However, having got off my backside and applied the aforementioned modifications I now have a mask that feels far more comfortable and therefore useable, so I am relatively happy and will be able to make full use of the shield.

Knowing what I know now, would I buy an Airshield (or one of the equivalent units)? No. The fact is I am unable to determine what benefit an Airshield type face shield actually offers over a high quality facemask/shield combo. Sure, a facemask can become uncomfortable, but no more so than the Airshield. I have also found the filtering is better with my facemask than the Airshield (noting that I spent nearly $150 on a top quality mask). Perhaps the biggest benefit of the Airshield is the aircon effect in summer.

There is a saying that fishing lures catch more fisherman than fish. I think the same analogy can apply to woodies - many of us get caught by the look of a product and its associated marketing hype. But horses for courses, obviously there are a heap of folk very happy with their Airshields (and similar) and I'm sure I will be in summer with less sweat in my eyes and no embarrassing red ring around my face!

Cheers
Phily

Alby123
26th August 2015, 06:53 PM
Hi Phily, it's terrific that the outcome has been in your favor and now you will be able to continue your woodworking with much less risk of getting any sort of respiratory aliment; and yes I am guilty of having an assortment of fishing equipment which I think has only caught 6 squid.

hughie
26th August 2015, 09:27 PM
I have put off buying a powered face mask for sometime for several reasons. Mainly the size of some of them and the price, it seemed to me that a lot of them are ponderous contraptions and so settled for a standard respirator.

If anything I like the the Paftec www.cleanspacetrchnolgy.com (http://www.cleanspacetrchnolgy.com) . Ok its probably not so good for those who have a beard but it works with those of us who wear glasses. :2tsup:

Having said that I weakened and bought the Carbatec 'el cheapo' $100 battery powered face mask, as I had some nasty stuff to deal with. But its Light weight along with very little noise, the strap design could be better or maybe my head is abnormal :U. Did a bit of research and they supposed to be ex Taiwan and a re priced at $40 there , although found a mob in China selling the identical one for under $40, made me wonder who actually makes them.

Its a stop gap measure till I sort out what exactly I will settle on.

Mobyturns
26th August 2015, 10:37 PM
Out of curiosity following Mobyturns comment, I removed the battery to see how the helmet would feel. Also quite surprising. The battery itself doesn't feel that heavy but after trying the Airshield without it I realised how much the battery contributes toward the top heaviness. I'll definitely be looking into this further - any advice Mobyturns very much appreciated.

Weight wise it does make a significant difference if you remove both battery packs from the Airshield. My main reason to make up the battery packs some 8 years ago was not about weight but to get more running time out of batteries as the claimed 4 hours was not enough, and to bypass the extremely slow recharge time of the very expensive genuine battery chargers & battery packs. Parts were purchased from Dick Smith (at the time) but Jaycar should have similar. I now use 3 x AA NiMh 3 x 1.2V = 3.6V but the important thing is the 3 x 1300mAh capacity. The weight loss from the Airshield was a bonus.

I made up a couple of "after market" battery packs using

generic 3 x AA battery case
3 x AA NiCad batteries & charger to suit.
spiral power lead appropriated from an old 12v cigarette lighter accessory lead
plug/s to match the genuine battery pack. (can't remember the size or model #) - match the plugs carefully as there are two sizes almost the same - close but not good enough as the mismatch causes intermittent power disruptions.
wiring grommet to suit spiral power lead

All up parts including batteries & charger were under $60 at the time. Simply a small job with the soldering iron to attach the power lead to battery case terminals and the plug. On the left side battery compartment in the Airshield drill a hole to take a small wiring grommet that will firmly secure the spiral power lead to retain it in position with the constant head movement. Plug in power lead, secure cable with grommet, and one small task for SWMBO to sew a pocket on the sleeve or back of your turning smock to take the battery pack. Also a good idea to sew on a loop or a bit of velcro loop tape to retain the spiral lead as it will drop over your shoulder as in the image below. (staged photo for UK Woodturning mag article)

Added the following photos to illustrate the above,

Alby123
27th August 2015, 01:16 AM
Interesting photo of the Trend Airshield as it looks very much like the Purelite that I bought back in the early ninties.

Mobyturns
27th August 2015, 08:38 AM
Interesting photo of the Trend Airshield as it looks very much like the Purelite that I bought back in the early ninties.

They are near identical, the only differences in mine are production improvement changes I suspect.

Oldgreybeard
27th August 2015, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Mobyturns:
They are near identical, the only differences in mine are production improvement changes I suspect.

Are the polycarb face panels identical - I've been looking for one for my Purelite. (it is the same as your photo.) No one has suggested the Trend Airshield as a replacement.

Apologies for jumping on this thread.

Bob

Phily
27th August 2015, 07:50 PM
Hughie, the link doesn't seem to be working and I agree, its probably your head!!!:D

Thanks for all the detail Mobyturns, really useful and totally validates Alby's comment on the value of the Forum. Great stuff:)

Mobyturns
27th August 2015, 08:37 PM
Are the polycarb face panels identical - I've been looking for one for my Purelite. (it is the same as your photo.) No one has suggested the Trend Airshield as a replacement.

Apologies for jumping on this thread.

Bob

As far as I remember yes, could be minor differences. Be careful where you order them as I had one a few years back that seemed to have lots of minute ripples and badly distorted vision. Ended up in the bin it was that bad. I would have to dig back into my records to see what I purchased when. I need more filters so it would be nice to find a supplier in Oz. I have commitments this weekend but if I get a chance next week I will pull them both out & compare.

Alby123
27th August 2015, 08:41 PM
Regarding the replacement face shields, for many years now I have been buying clear high impact plastic the same thickness and using the original face shield as a template; which means the cost of replacement face shields has been reduced by 40%.

chuck1
27th August 2015, 09:40 PM
Regarding the head straps I use the 3M faceshield and wear a cap backwards to give a bit more padding!
As I wear mine up to 7 hours some days. And it's easier to wash the cap than cleaning head band.

Phily
27th August 2015, 10:33 PM
But chuck, you are wasting all that woodhood aroma of sweat, sawdust and polish; almost good enough to bottle!!!!

hughie
27th August 2015, 10:52 PM
Hughie, the link doesn't seem to be working and I agree, its probably your head!!!:D

Thanks for all the detail Mobyturns, really useful and totally validates Alby's comment on the value of the Forum. Great stuff:)

http://www.cleanspacetechnology.com/ try this :U

Phily
27th August 2015, 11:03 PM
I feel the urge to buy another fishing lure. Looks awesome - who cares how effective its is!!!! Is it??

Mobyturns
28th August 2015, 06:24 AM
I feel the urge to buy another fishing lure. Looks awesome - who cares how effective its is!!!! Is it??
I modified what I turn because dust badly affects my sinuses hence my preference for spindle turning, no or very little sanding. Without personal breathing protection and DE I would not be turning bowls etc.

The bigest advantage of the Trend/Purelite is that it works on positive pressure and works well even if you wear a beard. At times a high or extra high impact rating faceshield and a half face respirator would be a better choice of PPE for larger turning projects.

The Airshields faceshield design relies upon the frame retaining the visor component in an impact situation and deflection of the object. I feel more confident with the Armadillo on riskier blanks. Maybe its only perception.

Toymaker Len
28th August 2015, 12:16 PM
I had the old triton one which I worked nearly to death over ten years full time use but I will never forget the first time I gave it a run - decided to turn down an old cricket stump between centres, caught the skew after a few minutes, spindle let go and smacked me right across the middle of the face...Thank heavens for full face polycarbonate masks, I would have lost my front teeth for sure.
The Triton mask was very cheaply made but the motor and filter were on a belt around the waist and out of the way connected to the mask by a light tube. It worked pretty well but the motor was weak, the batteries were weak, the tube broke a number of times, the faceplate mounts broke...
As I said before I am just waiting for a properly designed one to come on the market at a reasonable price.