PDA

View Full Version : An experiment

kcam
25th August 2015, 08:38 PM
In response to Smiife's post of the fall off of posts on this forum I thought that I had best submit something as I have been "slack" for some time now....no excuses just busy on other activities....anyway the post got me activated to get the camera out and load a few images to do some catching up.

Last year i did some garden tidy up and saved some offcuts of a Corymbia Gum (spotted gum) sapling and turned it green into two small vases with the intention of doing a similar shape/design but applying two techniques of embellishment #1 carved with a Dremel and #2 burnt and cut with a pyrography tool and coloured with watercolour pencils.

Comment and critique welcome.357613357614357615

powderpost
25th August 2015, 08:55 PM
That is nice. I like the carved "feet". That's a good way to smarten up a piece of plain wood, especially if the original project didn't work out quite as expected. :) I am not suggesting for a moment that that is what happened. If the timber had been quite green before carving, the movement in the timber may have made the leaves curl a bit giving a real leaf appearance?

I like it.

Jim

kcam
25th August 2015, 09:01 PM
That is nice. I like the carved "feet". That's a good way to smarten up a piece of plain wood, especially if the original project didn't work out quite as expected. :) I am not suggesting for a moment that that is what happened.

I like it.

Jim

Thanks Jim, actually they turned out better than expected and both were fun to do particularly as they were done at a club demo.
Cheers
Kerry

ogato
25th August 2015, 09:21 PM
Lovely work - I particularly like the painted leaves one. I might have to have a crack at the technique myself

Jeff

smiife
25th August 2015, 09:24 PM
In response to Smiife's post of the fall off of posts on this forum I thought that I had best submit something as I have been "slack" for some time now....no excuses just busy on other activities....anyway the post got me activated to get the camera out and load a few images to do some catching up.

Last year i did some garden tidy up and saved some offcuts of a Corymbia Gum (spotted gum) sapling and turned it green into two small vases with the intention of doing a similar shape/design but applying two techniques of embellishment #1 carved with a Dremel and #2 burnt and cut with a pyrography tool and coloured with watercolour pencils.

Comment and critique welcome.357613357614357615

Hi kcam,
They look really good , I like the one with the carved leaves
Well done:2tsup:!, thanks for sharing :;

dai sensei
26th August 2015, 10:46 AM
:cool: The tripple foot is also one of my favourites but not as easy as it appears

TrickinWood
26th August 2015, 01:27 PM
Very nice work. I invested in a Dremel, so I'm curous as to the bit you use for carving ?? Any info if greatly appreciated.

kcam
26th August 2015, 03:55 PM
Very nice work. I invested in a Dremel, so I'm curous as to the bit you use for carving ?? Any info if greatly appreciated.

The carved leaves were shaped with a standard Dremel straight cutter with the veins being cut with Maillefer knife edge cutter (07-240-020) from Australian Jewellers Supplies www.jewellerssuplies.com.au (http://www.jewellerssuplies.com.au) the main burrs that I use with my Dremels' are ball cutters for texturing, straight for shaping for heavier carving/shaping work I find that Typhoon burs are excellent I get my supplies from www.mytoolstore.com.au again here in Brisbane but both suppliers have excellent delivery services.
Hope that this info is of assistance, if you would like more detailed info please PM me.
Cheers
Kerry

Christos
26th August 2015, 05:57 PM
Great creativity in adding some embellishment.

My personal preference is the carve one. If I was to play around with this I would most likely go the way of the Pryo and water colours. Mainly because I know what my wife would say.

kcam
26th August 2015, 08:01 PM
Christos, why not have a play around with both techniques they are fun and offer great learning curves, every time that I do one I learn more!
Cheers
Kerry

Christos
26th August 2015, 08:36 PM
It is now on my list of things to make.

At least two more things. :U

TrickinWood
27th August 2015, 09:31 AM
The carved leaves were shaped with a standard Dremel straight cutter with the veins being cut with Maillefer knife edge cutter (07-240-020) from Australian Jewellers Supplies www.jewellerssuplies.com.au (http://www.jewellerssuplies.com.au) the main burrs that I use with my Dremels' are ball cutters for texturing, straight for shaping for heavier carving/shaping work I find that Typhoon burs are excellent I get my supplies from www.mytoolstore.com.au (http://www.mytoolstore.com.au) again here in Brisbane but both suppliers have excellent delivery services.
Hope that this info is of assistance, if you would like more detailed info please PM me.
Cheers
Kerry

Awesome. Have bookmarked for future reference. Much appreciated.

Cheers

TW