PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know of Smoother writing refill

A-Marks
28th July 2005, 12:32 PM
Hi,
I make a few pens. I have some for sale but feel a bit funny because they write so terribly.

What I mean has to do with the feel of them - the feel of the nib on paper it always drags or is scratchy... I use gel ink pens at work (I am a draftsman) and they are fantastic.

I would really like to find a better refill to put in my pens - then I would be totally confident that what I had produced was up to my best standard.

The profile I like to turn up is the Gary Pye ball clip with the wide center ring - The kits are concistantly good except for biro part - well thats in my mind anyway, I am a bit fussy!

I can't find any gel or rolling ball refills at my local supply places - Carbetec - GPW or Touchwood - that fit these pens.

Has anyone else felt this way about the way the pen kits actually write and does anyone know of any better refills

dai sensei
28th July 2005, 08:56 PM
I am not aware the kits come with anything else. However, the pen kits use standard refills from your newsagent. Check out if your newsagent has the gel type your are after.

Cheers

DanP
28th July 2005, 09:05 PM
I use the same pen kits and I have never had a problem. I go through 1 refill a month and just get the same refills in medium and they are fine to use as well.

Dan

tonysa
28th July 2005, 09:16 PM
for the limited qty of pens I have made (12) I use the Carbatec Pen1 and the biro insert for them has always been very good, almost gel like.

i'm trying some other kits later so will see if they're scratchy, hope not

cheers
tony

soundman
28th July 2005, 09:46 PM
Go down to office works & look at the brand name inserts. there will be one to suit but the price may frighten you.
cheers

TassieKiwi
29th July 2005, 10:09 AM
Home, PARKER, and don't spare the horses.

A-Marks
29th July 2005, 02:05 PM
Go down to office works & look at the brand name inserts. there will be one to suit but the price may frighten you.
cheers
Well I did that - Officeworx - and your sooo right one refill was more than a whole kit!!!

A-Marks
29th July 2005, 02:09 PM
I am not aware the kits come with anything else. However, the pen kits use standard refills from your newsagent. Check out if your newsagent has the gel type your are after.

Cheers
to be honest I haven't even done that (gone to a newsagent). I spose it's been niggling me and when I saw the pen forum I thought to see if anyone else had the same thoughts... but I spose its definatly worth a go thanks for the advice

A-Marks
29th July 2005, 02:11 PM
I use the same pen kits and I have never had a problem. I go through 1 refill a month and just get the same refills in medium and they are fine to use as well.

Dan

I reckon you got lucky! :-))

Ta for your thoughts

MICKYG
29th July 2005, 02:38 PM
I recently bought at Crazy Clarks a card for two dollars with four refills to fit the Parker Brand Pen. The bit of writing that I have done since proves that they are better than the original, smooth as butter, and nice to use. may be worth a look, incidently they were made in China, ITEM NUMBER 15173 the brand is Penline 1mm ball (medium) swiss tc ball and uses german documental ink.

Kind Regards Mike ;)

soundman
29th July 2005, 05:54 PM
Many promotional pens seem to come here by various means. With a variety of refill styles.
many are the parker type.
Some of the write pretty damn well others don't.
It may be worth sorting a supplier of generic refills.
Perhaps give the various suppliers a stir, The promotional people may have some answers.
cheers

DanP
30th July 2005, 08:09 PM
I reckon you got lucky! :-))

Ta for your thoughts

Must've got lucky about thirty times then. That's about how many I've got from GPW. Never had one come back.

Dan

dai sensei
30th July 2005, 11:23 PM
Must've got lucky about thirty times then. That's about how many I've got from GPW. Never had one come back.

Dan
I get mine form GPW as well and have had no problems. But my son has commented about the "gel" pens being better. The kids are spolt these days.

HiString
31st July 2005, 02:12 AM
This may sound stupid and/or be stating the obvious but I don't think anyone's mentioned it (probably becuase it is stupid and obvious :D )..........the refills in the kits I have been using (purchased from my local w/turners' co-op), all have a protective "something" over the ball which has to be removed before you can use them, I didn't realise this when I finished my first pen but when it didn't write I soon found the source of the problem, BUT, I also found out that it is important to make sure to remove ALL of this "ball protection" (no jokes please, it's too late :) ), otherwise the remnants can scratch on the writing surface.

:cool:

Coach
8th August 2005, 11:17 AM
Parker refills write better than Cross. You can also put gel writers in the 10mm kits. The best writing non Fountain pen refills are Roller Balls. I personally carry a fountain pen with a 24k gold nib. When used with Private Reserve Ink, it is very nice. I actually try to find stuff to write!