PDA

View Full Version : Incidents, Accidents or Injuries when using a Triton.

slr1968
28th July 2005, 12:49 PM
Hi all

I am doing some research for work. We are a small vocational training group and the boss is looking at expanding a little. He is looking at adult training and conducting some training utilising the Triton workbench is being considered. In order to ensure we are giving adequate weight to safety I am looking for some examples of injuries or accidents people have had when utilising the Triton Workbench. Please do not look on this as a Triton bashing exercise, it is not. We are trying to ensure we can provide the best possible safety training to our clients.

Could you please make any response as detailed as possible, ie. task, what attachment, type of job, incident, accident and injury details.

Thanks in advance.

Sean

Driver
28th July 2005, 02:30 PM
Am I being excessively suspicious?

Why are you specifically targeting accidents related to Triton equipment? Surely if you're intent on providing the best possible safety training for your clients you should be looking at safety issues on all sorts of woodworking equipment.

If, on the other hand, you're trying to compile some background for a legal case related to Triton equipment, you should say so - unequivocally.

In either case, I wouldn't respond to this without knowing more about your group. Don't be shy - tell us who you are.

craigb
28th July 2005, 02:34 PM
Am I being excessively suspicious?

Why are you specifically targeting accidents related to Triton equipment? Surely if you're intent on providing the best possible safety training for your clients you should be looking at safety issues on all sorts of woodworking equipment.

If, on the other hand, you're trying to compile some background for a legal case related to Triton equipment, you should say so - unequivocally.

In either case, I wouldn't respond to this without knowing more about your group. Don't be shy - tell us who you are.

Hear hear Mr Driver sir !

Gumby
28th July 2005, 02:42 PM
I agree with the guys, why would Triton be any different to any other table saw with a spinning blade. If you put a body part on it, don't expect to keep it.

PhilMcCrackin
28th July 2005, 03:54 PM
This stinks more than a bucket of fish brains left in the sun on a hot summers day!

I have had no safety problems at all with my Triton. I still have all of my fingers and toes. The guard and antikick back features are more than adequate. I even used mine to cut a few hundred ceramic tiles safely and with my left eye closed.

disclaimer: I would not recommend doing this if you own a triton as you will have to sell it and buy another one as water and grit do not promote long triton life!

silentC
28th July 2005, 04:43 PM
I dropped mine on my toe once. It turned me into a newt!

I got better..... :o

Sturdee
28th July 2005, 05:16 PM
Could you please make any response as detailed as possible, ie. task, what attachment, type of job, incident, accident and injury details.

I used to have the Triton MK3 workcentre for more than a decade and the only injury I had was just before Christmas last year.

During the evening on a Wednesday night, whilst watching Blue Heelers on tv, I realised that I had forgotten to release the tension on my bandsaw. So during the commercial break I rushed to the workshop to release the tension and in my hurry I didn't swith on the lights and I walked into the WC and hurt my hip. Obviously it wasn't my fault as the WC should have been painted at the factory in a luminous orange.

As a result of that injury I limped for about 5 minutes and decided to change over to a TS.

I trust that is the kind of info you need. :p :p :p

Peter.

Ashore
28th July 2005, 05:55 PM
He is looking at adult training and conducting some training utilising the Triton workbench
Does this make him triton demonstrator No ?

Sean
As to injuries or accidents you have asked a very open question so to narrow the search could you please tell me if you are refering to any triton products or just the ones your boss is using and will that be a mark3 or 2000 work centre
Are you interested in accidents when the saw/ router / Jigsaw / planer / was running or injuries from lifting / fitting
Do you want injuries that happened when using after following Triton instructions or when these instructions were not followed. ( Some people may be reluctant to give details of the latter as it may show them to be foolish in the eyes of others)
Do you want details if the person was under the influence of drugs or alcohol
or acting ilegally at the time, or against orders ( ie.. working on a foriegn order after hours/ lunch break or operating when not trained on the equipment.)
Looking forward to your response

Thanks in Advance

Russell

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Zed
28th July 2005, 06:44 PM
not having a triton bench (I have the router) I cant comment directly but it seems to me from the flavour of you r post that you are looking for injuries that may arise as a consequence of process or techinique. however havinf seen a tritron workbench inaction the mechanisms and techniques are the same as other table saws. I imagine that study in all types of table saws will yield similar results. Safety tips exist all over the place and can be gathered quickly by buying a couple of books.

If you want Triton-specific safety question/answers you possibly may want to get a Triton of your desired model and do some stop-go time and motion studies.

Hospitals and workcover will have extensive records of table saw/circular saw injuries.

Cheers,

corbs
28th July 2005, 11:23 PM
How did Triton/GMC respond when you made this query to them? I am assuming that you would contact the manufacturor of the specific product you are seeking information on.;)

journeyman Mick
29th July 2005, 12:05 AM
Sean,
I would suggest that if your trainer needs to poll a woodworking internet forum to find out what risks are involved in the use of woodworking equipment then he/she is not experienced or qualified enough to run said training course. that's the trouble with all this cert IV stuff, people do a short course and get a bit of paper to say they're competent, then they take that and their other bit of paper (their cert IV) and run courses. Without a few years of real world experience to back up the certificate of competency I'd value the bits of paper at the same rate as the perforated sheeps on the roll dispenser in the smallest room in the house ;)

Having said that, about the only thing you'd have to watch for when using a triton as opposed to a cast iron saw is its light weight. It tends to move away from you when you're ripping big long heavy bits of timber. This is not a problem per se, just physics - you'd have the same problem on a cast iron saw with a bigger heavier bit of timber.

Mick

doug the slug
29th July 2005, 12:31 AM
I'd value the bits of paper at the same rate as the perforated sheeps on the roll dispenser in the smallest room in the house ;)

Mick

ok mick, someone has to ask - what exactly did you do to the sheeps and how did you get them on the roll dispenser in the first place?

journeyman Mick
29th July 2005, 01:08 AM
ok mick, someone has to ask - what exactly did you do to the sheeps and how did you get them on the roll dispenser in the first place?

:eek: Typo alert!, that was a typo, not a Freudian slip! Sheets, sheets sheets! You're a sheet stirrer doug. ;)

Mick

silentC
29th July 2005, 09:08 AM
people do a short course and get a bit of paper to say they're competent, then they take that and their other bit of paper (their cert IV) and run courses. Without a few years of real world experience to back up the certificate of competency I'd value the bits of paper at the same rate as the perforated sheeps on the roll dispenser in the smallest room in the house
Yeah, but the money's not too bad. $57 an hour at our local TAFE. I'm sending the missus up there to get one of those Cert IVs so she can start paying off my machinery :D

MICKYG
29th July 2005, 09:37 AM
Sean, I agree with Journeyman Mick, you really should not be asking the forum whether we are prone to types of accidents because of the type or brand of machinery we are using.

An ELEMENT of NOUS is required ( and I have encountered people who have absoloutely none ) to use anything, be it a hand tool, a power tool, or any type of machine. This includes all forms of machinery be it for wood, steel or any other purpose.

I only have a triton router table which has been in use for quite some time, and it has not caused me any harm to this point in time.

Regards Mike :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Trav
29th July 2005, 11:11 AM
I have had more injuries sharpening my muji blades than with my triton stuff!

Unless you count the time that I dropped my router onto my finger when shifting it to get to my other tools. Jammed it hard up against my shelves. Damn, that hurt for like 1 minute.

But I think the design flaw relates more to my coordination than the triton.

I agree with all the above. Power tools are inherently dangerous tools. I think there is a voluntary assumption of risk when you use any kind of power tool, including a triton. Would my finger have hurt less if I had a makita router instead of a triton - no way.

yours

a happy tritoneer!

Rowan
29th July 2005, 11:32 AM
Hey I'm happy to answer. I got 3 stiches once from my triton table. The only thing to note is that on that day it may have happened with any saw bench in the world cause it was all due to

nothing but my own stupidity!!!!!

so as with everyone else here I got no idea why u need specifics with triton.

"to err is human" so it doesnt matter what tools u have things will happen.

PenRex
9th August 2005, 01:34 PM
I have a Triton 2000 work station and I've used it almost every day since November 1999. On Sunday 13 March 2005 I had an incident between my left thumb and the saw blade. My fault of course, and being left handed, very much a challenge, both physically and mentally.

I'm yet to use the triton again and in fact bought a Ryobi table saw because of my negative vibes with the triton, however, I haven't taken the Ry out of it's box yet.

Here's some post surgery pics for now, even reliving it through this reply is giving me heart palpitations and sweaty palms. If you want more info on the injury and how it happened, email me.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/penrex/mythumb01.jpg http://members.optusnet.com.au/penrex/mythumb02.jpg

Auld Bassoon
9th August 2005, 09:41 PM
Lol Sturdee!

rrich
8th January 2006, 03:22 PM
I can think of several accidents involving Triton.

There have been many in a 100 acre area about 14 miles south of Chicago. It seems that couples would get rather excited either in one of the Triton dormatory rooms on in the back seat of a car and the result was that the accident reared its beautiful head about 9 months later.

Also there have been some accidents, usually in the south eastern part of the US. Usually while out fishing in a Triton and after consuming a quantity of legal beverages, the accidents usually start with someone using the phrase, "Hey y'all! Watch this!" Some of these accidents are, unfortunately, fatal.

Hope this helps,