PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Platter

kcam
26th August 2015, 04:20 PM
I have never been one for formalised segmented turning so when I decided to enter a piece into my clubs completion in the segmented and or pegged category I chose to use the scattered approach (suits my brain pattern). I had had a section of cottonwood in my stash that had been waiting to be used in just such a project. I sliced the blank to about 30mm thick, trimmed up the sap wood then went about randomly cutting up the flat blank reassembled and glued it together, added a few pegs to follow a planned wave pattern. Turned it and then shaped the feet and the wave pattern using a Makita right angle drill with various grits on a 50mm sanding pad.
C&C welcome particularly from the traditionalist segmented turners.

Christos
26th August 2015, 06:17 PM
I love this. The way the ladder is coming out of the bowl. Was this intended or just worked out that way.

I think I need to get back into turning at least a couple of pieces.

kcam
26th August 2015, 07:20 PM
Thanks Chritos, it just happened that way.
Cheers Kerry

powderpost
27th August 2015, 11:02 PM
Kerry, not every one is a masochist when it comes to segmenting.. :). It is a simple project, but very attractive. Not sure about only three feet on a square project, I would prefer four feet spaced fairly wide for stability. Some thin contrasting coloured veneer beside the joints will make a big difference to visual effect.

Jim

kcam
28th August 2015, 07:45 AM
Thanks Jim, I agree with your comments in general, my intention was to use one block of wood (sap and heart) and not introduce another timber. Three legs or four it's a debate I often have, chose three mainly for balance but I agree that four would look better.
Kerry

Paul39
28th August 2015, 10:23 AM
I really like it a lot. I like the shape, the dark and light timber, placement of the dots, and ladder.

I think the ladder could be improved by having a clean edge as on the outside and middle segments. The sapwood on the infil blurs the ladder a bit.

Nice piece.

artme
28th August 2015, 11:33 AM
Brilliant!!!!:brava:brava:brava:brava:brava:brava

DaveTTC
28th August 2015, 01:08 PM
I like it and go with your choice of the one timber.

If you are up for another challenge you could try a curved cut following the line of your wave and using a thing sapwood strip following the curve rather than straight. If you decide to try and I dont see your post please PM me as I'd love to see it

DaveTTC

Turning Wood Into Art

kcam
28th August 2015, 08:04 PM
I like it and go with your choice of the one timber.

If you are up for another challenge you could try a curved cut following the line of your wave and using a thing sapwood strip following the curve rather than straight. If you decide to try and I don't see your post please PM me as I'd love to see it

DaveTTC

Turning Wood Into Art

Hi Dave, it just so happens that I have done a laminated platter/bowl in the past with a curved strip through the middle and I found some images on file that you may find interesting.
Cheers
Kerry
358015358014 The "pegged" button jar was one of my favourite/fun turnings unfortunately I don't have any more images of it.

Another platter that was assembled and glued from offcuts saved from numerous projects...C&C welcome.

powderpost
28th August 2015, 08:31 PM
I am very interested to see where this idea goes. Well done.

Well done... :2tsup:

Paul39
29th August 2015, 01:42 AM
Hi Dave, it just so happens that I have done a laminated platter/bowl in the past with a curved strip through the middle and I found some images on file that you may find interesting.
Cheers
Kerry

OH MY!!! I love the # 101. I have been doing "round and brown" for around 7 years and staying away from segmented pieces because they are so formal and labor intensive.

Your pieces inspire me to do some segmented things.

kcam
31st August 2015, 08:23 AM
Thanks Paul, I just try to keep it simple using kept off cuts, although I may have to cut into my stash as I have just had a big workshop tidy up if and when I choose to continue the theme. Currently trying to get resin fill to be a success, timber laminates and plugs is easier. :)
Cheers
Kerry