PDA

View Full Version : Turning beads with skew chisel.

artful bodger
26th August 2015, 07:26 PM
Have noticed on a few recent threads that some folk use a spindle gouge to turn beads. Shock horror!
To be honest I found this quite comforting.
I thought a skew was the best (most woodturning correct) way to turn a bead and I know how to turn one with a skew alright, I just find a spindle gouge the safer option.
Thought I was the only one who would stoop to such depths.
Or have I been mistaken?

One other thing that has got me wondering is, when folk put up a recently made item on this forum and then invite " C and C", well what exactly does "C and C" stand for?.

Jim Carroll
26th August 2015, 07:42 PM
Try the beading and parting tool to do beads, works real good.

C&C comments and criticisms

george mavridis
26th August 2015, 08:07 PM
Talking of the skew chisel, I notice that the ones at our club are 20deg from the top whereas I've seen in some publications ( mainly US) that the angle is 30deg. What is the correct angle if there is such a thing?

powderpost
26th August 2015, 08:31 PM
Talking of the skew chisel, I notice that the ones at our club are 20deg from the top whereas I've seen in some publications ( mainly US) that the angle is 30deg. What is the correct angle if there is such a thing?

I know of a few turners that turn with a square "skew" chisel. 20 degrees seems to be the accepted thing from Europe, but as mentioned it seems Americans prefer 30 degrees? The Thompson skews are "correctly" ground to 30 degrees. Comes down to what you feel comfortable with. I have no preference really, depends on what will do the job in hand.

Jim

chuck1
26th August 2015, 08:55 PM
I turn the majority of beads with the skew, as I do the V cuts it saves time changing skew to gouge.

Jim Carroll
26th August 2015, 09:12 PM
20 degrees is the norm, 30 degrees gives you a longer bevel which is ok for planing cuts but harder for rolling beads

Mobyturns
26th August 2015, 10:54 PM
Check out this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfeLAHQSbqk Allan Batty explains the reasons for the varying angles on skews very well.

AB you could also use a bedan to turn beads as Jean-Francois Escoulen does, or a Sorby "spindle master" as well as the spindle/detail gouge or the beading/parting tool as Jim mentions. I have learned to use the skew, beading/parting tool, spindle gouge, & spindle master. Haven't got around to mastering a bedan. Each has its benefits. One good practice exercise is to turn say 4 or 5 spin tops using only a 1/2" or 3/4" skew; then using only a 3/8" spindle gouge; then the same again with a "spindle master" or a beading/parting tool. You soon get to appreciate the pros & cons of each tool. :)

NCPaladin
27th August 2015, 02:22 AM
I use a skew mainly because it is easy to get a razor sharp edge, not so with a gouge (at least for me). Mine are 20* (or 40* inclusive). I assume the Thompsons are 30* inclusive (15* each side). I also find it easier to burnish the ends of handles leaving a polished (shiney) surface with no sanding with a skew.
This is the angle of the bevel, nothing to do with angle profile across the flat of the tool.

I feel I can get into a tighter area with the skew than a spindle gouge. That may be why they make a "detail spindle gouge" and a "shallow detail spindle gouge" for areas that a standard spindle gouge has problems. See Thompsons listing for spindle gouges.

Dalboy
27th August 2015, 03:46 AM
I think it is more of a case of which of the tools feel comfortable for you to use. All those mentioned already are capable of producing beads so use those that suit you as long as it is used in a safe manner

issatree
27th August 2015, 11:55 AM
Hi to you all,
Great Subject.
I have most likely said this before, so maybe again.
I have 11 Skews, be them P&N or Chinese Steel.
2 people influenced me to the way I like my Skews.
Starting out I was having many catches, then I was watching Richard Raffan. Spoke to him He offered advice which I took. I also Round Over the Corners, so they don't catch on the Tool Rest.
So I curved my Blade Edge, told the thing sitting on my shoulders, that now I wood not have any more catches, & I don't. Well not very often.
The other person was NSW Turner, George Hatfield, & his statement was, eg; if your Blade is 8mm. thick, then your Bevel should be approx. 16mm. in length.
So being twice the thickness of the Blade with a Curved, Sharpened on just my White Wheels, I can just about make those Skews talk to me.
When I say 11 Skews, Parting Tools, Beading Tools, Bedans are all Skews. All of which I have.
Comments at a Demo, " you can't do coves with a skew, but I just did it ", & you can with a bit of Practice.
Well, thatsmy2senceworth.

NCPaladin
27th August 2015, 01:05 PM
I only have three skews (not counting parting, etc) at 1/2", 1" and 1.5". I grind mine like Alan Lacer guides which is 1.5X the thickness which is almost 40* exact. I assume 2X thickness wolf be more like the 25* Batty described in the video link above. Mine were all straight across and I did regrind one to a curve; I had more problems with it and it was much harder to hone so they are all straight across now.
Whatever works for a person is what is good.

DaveTTC
28th August 2015, 12:55 PM
Hi to you all,
Great Subject.
I have most likely said this before, so maybe again.
I have 11 Skews, be them P&N or Chinese Steel.
2 people influenced me to the way I like my Skews.
Starting out I was having many catches, then I was watching Richard Raffan. Spoke to him He offered advice which I took. I also Round Over the Corners, so they don't catch on the Tool Rest.
So I curved my Blade Edge, told the thing sitting on my shoulders, that now I wood not have any more catches, & I don't. Well not very often.
The other person was NSW Turner, George Hatfield, & his statement was, eg; if your Blade is 8mm. thick, then your Bevel should be approx. 16mm. in length.
So being twice the thickness of the Blade with a Curved, Sharpened on just my White Wheels, I can just about make those Skews talk to me.
When I say 11 Skews, Parting Tools, Beading Tools, Bedans are all Skews. All of which I have.
Comments at a Demo, " you can't do coves with a skew, but I just did it ", & you can with a bit of Practice.
Well, thatsmy2senceworth.

I like doing coves with a skew.

If I tell the thing sitting on your shoulders, 'that now Iwood not have any more catches' wood that work for me too ;)

DaveTTC

Turning Wood Into Art

issatree
28th August 2015, 08:08 PM
Hi Dave,
It all amounts to a Sharp Tool, & take the corners off the Skew, & plenty of Practice.
As is always said, " You can do anything, if you have a go."

DaveTTC
28th August 2015, 11:27 PM
Had a discussion tonight as to how you can do a cove with a skew. I believe you have more 'bevel' support doing a cove than a bead. Interested in others opinions. Tonight had my woodturning club meeting and our most experienced turner agreed you can do a cove with a skew.

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

dr4g0nfly
29th August 2015, 05:34 AM
This is Steve Jones, a UK production woodturner turning 51 beads (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anzYiknT-Mg) with a skew.

dai sensei
29th August 2015, 10:41 AM
Turning a cove with a skew is crazy IMHO. Apart from only having 2 points of contact for support in lieu of rubbing the bevel, as you are not cutting in the direction of the cut you want, there is the tendency to cut too deep.

DaveTTC
29th August 2015, 10:43 AM
Turning a cove with a skew is crazy IMHO. Apart from only having 2 points of contact for support in lieu of rubbing the bevel, as you are not cutting in the direction of the cut you want, there is the tendency to cut too deep.
It's on .... a skew show down ... Philip island or some where else close by

;)

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

dai sensei
29th August 2015, 11:28 AM
Here's what I'm talking about, so very hard to take really fine cuts, although would depend on the size of cove and length of bevel on your skew

DaveTTC
29th August 2015, 12:16 PM
Here's what I'm talking about, so very hard to take really fine cuts, although would depend on the size of cove and length of bevel on your skew
Agreed for a tight small cove a skew does not do it but a longer cove or bead rolled into a cove then a skew works well.

For the initial cut to begin a cove such as you have illustrated no chisel allows you to ride the bevel imo, but hey I'm hapoy to be corrected.

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

DaveTTC
29th August 2015, 12:17 PM
This is Steve Jones, a UK production woodturner turning 51 beads (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anzYiknT-Mg) with a skew.
My network does not allow streaming atm but will watch this Monday night

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

artful bodger
29th August 2015, 04:39 PM

Interesting how he cuts one semi bead then cuts the other (opposing half) one, rather than going along and cutting all the semi beads one way then the other semi beads the other. Surly that'd be a quicker way to go?

joe greiner
30th August 2015, 02:06 PM
Interesting how he cuts one semi bead then cuts the other (opposing half) one, rather than going along and cutting all the semi beads one way then the other semi beads the other. Surly that'd be a quicker way to go?

Maybe, but probably easier to keep them symmetric his way, by developing a rhythm back and forth.

Cheers,
Joe