PDA

View Full Version : That time of the year is arriving

HUON
26th August 2015, 10:35 PM
Not much to show yet, but Spring is just around the corner, another week or two and these tubes should have a nice flush of green showing.
Next photo, some thornless blackberries, raspberies, and pineapple experiments oh and some turmeric.
Last photo is a mix of avocadoes, macadamias, oaks, white ash, etc.

pjt
31st August 2015, 01:11 AM
Some serious hot house action there Huon,This is where I am upto...mmm well I do have pics but having issues loading atm so another time.Pete

HUON
31st August 2015, 08:36 AM
Look forward to seeing your pics Pete

pjt
3rd September 2015, 12:49 AM
A few pics......
First pic is a little patch of "wild meadow" basically some lucerne, marigolds, sunflower, some sort of daisy, I also put in a few fresh seeds of good bug mix, just in this little patch I can easily see two types of lady birds, jumping spiders and hover flies.

Next pic is where I put that watering pipe in the ground, I capped the far end and put a bend with a short riser pipe on the near end, I just shove the hose down and it waters the whole area, looks good so far but will see how it goes over summer. Parsnips, carrots, tomato, cucumber, asparagus, beans but they are getting hammered by the aphids, I wonder if the taste of the aphids on the beans doesn't appeal to the ladybirds, arrowroot and a few odd marigolds.

3rd pic is various compost piles, mulch and sifted clean soil, this is the next area for more veg.

Last pic is an impromptu area, at this time of year the Barrel Medic comes up and this little area was free of grass, I decided to encourage it so I mulched around it, I also mulched up some of the Lab Lab so some of the seeds have popped up, I needed somewhere for a pumpkin to spread out so that found a spot there as well, Ill get a few seeds of the BM and then make a pile of mulch on top of it to keep the pumpkin happy and soon there will be a watermelon there as well.

Pete

snowyskiesau
3rd September 2015, 02:20 AM
I don't have such a nice hothouse but I do have a large back verandah with glass on two sides and a couple of metres of plastic will seal in the remaining side.
It gets warm enough during the day to at least stop frost damage overnight. I rigged up a Raspberry Pi computer to monitor the temperature and humidity.
Now all I have to do is find the seeds leftover from last year ...

pjt
15th September 2015, 01:43 AM
A few more pics....
The Beefsteak and cheery tom's are coming along nicely, I noticed today the supermarket variety?? has a small fruit on it, I did some trimming of the shrubbery and found these ootheca's (praying mantis egg cocoon) not sure if they have hatched out as yet, I'll have a closer look, based on the youtube vids they wriggle free from the ootheca without much destruction of it.

Pete

HUON
20th September 2015, 07:36 PM
Wow, pete, tommies before 25th of December. Nice.
Some of my tomatoes are just passing the two leaf stage. Some of the vegies are up, Ill post some pics tomorrow
Cheers

HUON
24th September 2015, 07:25 PM
couldn't believe how quickly the watermelons came up, some shots of a vegie garden in the making

Old-Biker-UK
25th September 2015, 05:47 AM
Easy for you lot - I'm getting to the end of the Toms & Runner Beans.
All we have to look forward to is rain & cold, frosty mornings.
Think of us when you start opening tinnys and throwing snags on the barby.

Mark

HUON
25th September 2015, 03:54 PM
Thinking of you right now,Mark. Just cracked one. The pizza oven will be cranked up tomorrow, no doubt wetting the whistle as well.
Cheers
Brendan

HUON
27th September 2015, 03:37 PM
Our wattles showing off and some baby hoop pine, the finches love them great protection for nestlings.

HUON
27th September 2015, 03:39 PM
Oops, here are the hoop pines

pjt
27th September 2015, 09:55 PM
The wattles do look good

HUON
2nd October 2015, 11:42 PM
some colour

pjt
4th October 2015, 11:58 PM
I had a closer look at the ootheca, looks to me the baby mantis's have hatched
Another good bug to have in the garden.

Pete

pjt
5th October 2015, 12:27 AM
Vege's are looking quite good, toms and cucs are powering ahead

I can see the cuc's getting bigger by the day, I pulled a carrot out gave it a wash and ate it:)

Pete

HUON
5th October 2015, 04:55 PM
Crikey Pete, your well in front of us.

snowyskiesau
6th October 2015, 12:43 AM
Crikey Pete, your well in front of us.

I'll say, I'm still concerned about a late frost, not unknown at this time of year down here.

HUON
6th October 2015, 12:31 PM
Great view, Geoff. up in the north east of vic the saying is don't put your tommies in until after the melb cup or until the last of the snow has gone

snowyskiesau
6th October 2015, 12:52 PM
Down here, the locals tell me, don't plant before Hobart show day (late october) so as to avoid late frosts.
I figured anything I planted last month as seed, won't have any green bits for the a frost to damage.

HUON
6th October 2015, 05:29 PM
The way the fire season's shaping up ,growing vegies might be the least of our worries. I really hope I'm wrong.

pjt
7th October 2015, 12:08 AM
I have to keep reminding myself that it is only just into spring, I used to live in the north of Tas. and I wouldn't have contemplated growing anything until it was a bit warmer, it was a heat wave if you got into a t shirt for L'ton show day!! The downside tho for me here is the summer heat, without a bit of shade for the veges they suffer, even now they need shade, I have some silver beet in a pot that for most of the day is shaded but as soon as it gets a bit of sun it wilts, the upside tho is munching on a fresh grown cuc in about another week :U

Pete