PDA

View Full Version : "Perfect" old fashioned mushy peas.

Bob38S
27th August 2015, 01:10 PM
I'm looking for the old fashioned "perfect" mushy peas recipe or formula.

I have tried dried peas, fresh peas, tinned peas but I can't seem to get the right consistency or taste. To me the consistency needs to be wet, runny but not so liquid that it runs off. Mostly, these days when you get a pie and peas the peas are just a lumped mash that sits on the top. Years ago I even had one where the peas were so sloppy that I thought it must have been pea soup. I'm looking for the inbetween.

Think the old wood fired pie van which always had a saucepan of mushy peas which were ladled onto your pie.

Any ideas?

fenderbelly
31st August 2015, 12:22 AM
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/34076/old+fashioned+mushy+peas

Not tried these but I have tried some of the other recipes on this site.

Bob38S
31st August 2015, 10:00 AM
Thanks for that Fred.

Have tried some of the traditional recipes from the net but most are still like "mashed potatoes" in consistency. The closest I have come is to add a spoonful of bicarbonate to the water - close but no cigar.

wheelinround
31st August 2015, 12:02 PM
Oh yeh mushy peas n pie

Sue Microwaves frozen peas for 2-3 mins add good dollop of butter and mash with a fork add mint (my pref)

Here's Jamies (http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/fish-chips-and-mushy-peas/#UapTdm76PtpwQRgt.97)

Hairy Bikers (http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mushy_peas_25896)

Old Croc
13th September 2015, 10:31 PM
Thanks for that Fred.

Have tried some of the traditional recipes from the net but most are still like "mashed potatoes" in consistency. The closest I have come is to add a spoonful of bicarbonate to the water - close but no cigar.

Bob, you are close. Mum said to soak them in cold water overnight with a spoonful of bicarb, drain them, add fresh water and boil/simmer until the consistency is right.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Bob38S
14th September 2015, 12:15 AM
Thanks Crocy,

I got the bicarb bit from one of the "oldies" but I didn't get where to use it.

Will certainly give it a go.

Chief Tiff
14th September 2015, 08:19 AM
Have you tried the British canned mushy peas in the English food sections of Colesworths?

Bob38S
14th September 2015, 09:26 AM
Tried them many years ago, they were so popular that they are no longer stocked locally :no:

I am perhaps on a fool's errand but I have a new lead re the bicarb. Memory is a strange thing, but I'm still chasing that old wood fired pie van with the saucepan of mushy peas on the small gas burner taste.

mark david
14th September 2015, 04:16 PM
Rather partial to the mushy peas,both me an the misses.

Haven't tried making any myself but I believe MARROWFAT PEAS are the best if you can get them.

wombatie
15th September 2015, 05:17 PM
A friend of mine did home made fish, chips and mushy peas. The mushy peas were the best I had tasted in Oz. Apparently they were a tin of Coles Garden Peas with 1/2 to 3/4 of the liquid drained out after heating and then mashed with a potato masher. So nice.

Marg

sje-tools
16th September 2015, 10:30 AM
Being of UK descent I can confirm that what you require is Dried Marrowfat peas soaked overnight and a bit of bicarb will help simply boil and simmer to require consistency and add sugar/salt for required taste . . . :)

No mushy peas in the UK are made with garden peas always Marrowfat . .