PDA

View Full Version : What are they?

powderpost
27th August 2015, 02:57 PM
Here is something to have a guess at. What are these and what are they used for?

Jim

Christos
27th August 2015, 04:23 PM
Replacement for the plastic covers over the ends of the collapsible fishing rods.

kcam
27th August 2015, 04:38 PM
End protectors for spindle and bowl gouges :roll:

powderpost
27th August 2015, 06:13 PM
Replacement for the plastic covers over the ends of the collapsible fishing rods.

nope :D

powderpost
27th August 2015, 06:15 PM
End protectors for spindle and bowl gouges :roll:

nope :D

kcam
27th August 2015, 07:21 PM
They look like something that mobyturns has turn up so how about protection for some type of surveyors equipment :U

powderpost
27th August 2015, 07:48 PM
They look like something that mobyturns has turn up so how about protection for some type of surveyors equipment :U

Nope.. :U

A clue...... They are used in conjunction with a very well known musical instrument from the British Isles.

Jim

Oldgreybeard
27th August 2015, 07:51 PM
Mouthpiece for bagpipes?
Bob

Mobyturns
27th August 2015, 08:47 PM

I thought thingymejigs from a clever old buggar. :D Kerry I think Jim's efforts put me to shame. :wink:

smiife
27th August 2015, 09:07 PM
Hi jim,
I was going to say end caps for bagpipes ?
Whatever they are i like the celtic knot , i
will have to try one day :o

dai sensei
27th August 2015, 09:11 PM
Don't know what they are, but they could be used as thumb screws :U

powderpost
27th August 2015, 09:12 PM
Mouthpiece for bagpipes?
Bob

Close Bob.

powderpost
27th August 2015, 09:16 PM
They are chanter covers. A chanter is the part of a set of bag pipes that the fingers operate on to produce that beautiful sound. The chanter contains a reed that dries out. The covers protect the reed in the chanter.

You don't think the bag pipes produce very nice music??? :D. Now there is a line to play with??? :D

Jim

kcam
27th August 2015, 09:47 PM
:2tsup: :2tsup:

hughie
27th August 2015, 10:56 PM
They are chanter covers. A chanter is the part of a set of bag pipes that the fingers operate on to produce that beautiful sound. The chanter contains a reed that dries out. The covers protect the reed in the chanter.

You don't think the bag pipes produce very nice music??? :D. Now there is a line to play with??? :D

Jim
are the skirl of the pipes.

A Duke
27th August 2015, 11:03 PM
I thought you were going too say handles for a doodle sack. :wink:

Colin62
28th August 2015, 04:37 AM

Jim

They're called dry-stocks. The stock is the bit that gets tied into the bag, and the pipes slot into them. To protect the reed from the high humidity in the bag, people started using an extra stock to put the chanter into, which is where the name comes from. Of course the reed would then dry out, so they started using blocked off dry-stocks to keep the moisture in the reed fairly constant.

I've been playing the bagpipes since 1976. We didn't bother with dry-stocks much in those days, probably because the old leather bags breathed better than the synthetic ones we use nowadays.

Christos
28th August 2015, 07:16 PM
Interesting.

Tim Creeper
30th August 2015, 10:05 PM
Well there you go. I thought they were thimbles for a masochist.:doh: