PDA

View Full Version : What to do in Ottawa

zenwood
28th July 2005, 01:26 PM
Got a work trip coming up to Ottawa. I understand there might be a point of interest to WW'ers there. Any suggestions?

Wongo
28th July 2005, 02:49 PM
Lucky bastxxx :mad:

:D

zenwood
28th July 2005, 03:36 PM
Lucky bastxxx :mad:

:D I think you're having more fun, Wongo. You get Dizzyland, I get death by viewgraph.

Wongo
28th July 2005, 03:48 PM
Man I have Rockler just 15 minutes from the hotel but I just didn’t have time to go there. The hotel told me it would cost about $35 dollars :eek: on a taxi each way. Hey I’ve got a better way to spend my $US70.

zenwood
28th July 2005, 04:08 PM
You mean Rockler didn't provide a shuttle? How do they expect to keep in business?

Wongo
31st July 2005, 02:56 AM
Zen, when are you going? Please post some photos of the happiest place on earth. :D

zenwood
31st July 2005, 03:06 AM
Zen, when are you going? Please post some photos of the happiest place on earth. :D In sept. Weren't you just there? The Happiest Place on Earth, I mean?

starr
1st August 2005, 02:50 PM
Veritas tools is based in Ottawa (or at least one of the suburbs). It is on 900 Morrison Drive.

They seem to have seminars in their store quite often (http://www.leevalley.com/home/page.aspx?c=&p=47484).

Also see http://www.woodcentral.com/shots/shot643.shtml

zenwood
1st August 2005, 08:02 PM
Veritas tools is based in Ottawa... Cheers, Starr. Thanks for the links and the address. I'll be arriving on Sat, leaving the following Fri. Maybe I'll be awake enough to fit in a Sunday visit. Hope they're open. What's the duty-free allowance for tools?

NewLou
1st August 2005, 09:07 PM
Pilramige to Handtool Meccha ,,.................Arrrrrrrr Lucky you ZenWood!!!!

Have Fun Ya Lucky Barrrrrrzzterrdd!!!!!!

REgards Lou;)

zenwood
1st August 2005, 10:07 PM
Pilramige to Handtool Meccha A few year's ago, I was holidaying in Maine, and visited the other handtool Mecca: Lie-Nielsen Toolworks in Warren. They were shut!!!

Once in a lifetime opportunity evaporated into the ether of forgotten dreams...

mat
9th August 2005, 03:57 PM
Zenwood

you can get a GST (or whatever they call it) refund organised at the airport. From memory they send you a cheque. As with similar systems you have to spend a certain amount (I'm sure that won't be a problem) and keep the checkout receipt for processing.

I stayed in the centre of Ottawa and took two buses to get (they're in the burbs) to LV and then spent most of the day there. Have a good look at their site and make some decisions/list before you go otherwise you will likely forget something that you really want.

Studley 2436
9th August 2005, 04:32 PM
Zenwood has a ton of Lie Nielsen stuff so I dunno what he has to go to Lee Valley for. Arguing one is junk he should dump so he can get the other is a bit of a Holden v Ford or Nikon v Canon arguement.

Who needs a flame war?

Studley

zenwood
9th August 2005, 05:17 PM
mat: Never heard of a GST refund. How do they work exactly? Turns out I might have an extra half a day there: just time to nip in and pick up some stuff, before heading off to the airport! The list is a good idea. Hours of dreaming, weighing up the pros and cons of various bits and pieces. They'd probably have to be small though, so I don't go over my weight limit. Let's see: set of curved scrapers? the teeny-weeny bronze spokeshaves? the flush plane? Aaahhh the possibilities!

Studley: I also have lots of LV stuff. Their jointer fence is very handy, as is their scraper set. And their LA block plane with the add-on wooden knobs is a really handy small smoother. Not to mention the twin-screw vice, clamps, drill bits, plug-cutters, dovetail markers, sanding block, flush-cut saw etc, etc. No question of a flame war.:)

mat
9th August 2005, 06:09 PM
The system is similar to the one operating in Australia. People leaving the country who have bought products with tax paid are entitled to a refund providing the products purchased reach a certain cost threshold - total items on single receipt not single items. Max tax refund may also be capped.

When you buy in the LV shop in Ottawa you will have to pay local tax on the product. At the airport - before check in there is a shopfront where you present you receipt/tax invoice show any goods they want to see and they then post you a cheque for the amount of tax paid.

Dont forget you can take a fair bit of weight in small items in your cabin baggage (rarely if ever measured) just dont let it look like you are carrying a ton - think planes here.

In my previous email when I said look at the site I was referring to their website.

mat
9th August 2005, 06:13 PM
A further thought - don't take any sharp items in your cabin baggage. Recently I brought back a plane in the cabin baggage but removed the blade and put that in the checked in baggage. Don't try to take chisels in cabin baggage.

MathewA
9th August 2005, 08:03 PM
Hmmm let me see whats the best thing to do on the east coast of canada... Go west - enough said.

mat
10th August 2005, 11:36 AM
There's a LV store in Vancouver :D