PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on glue for Turning?

chuck1
29th August 2015, 08:19 AM
Good morning everyone,
I have a job comming up for light pendants some need to be laminated up.
Normally I use titebond, and was thinking of using gorilla glue external.
What do all you forumites like to use on segmented and laminated Timber glued at home?
any views appreciated.

dai sensei
29th August 2015, 10:35 AM
Titebond III or epoxy, that way inside or outside in rain doesn't matter

kcam
29th August 2015, 05:20 PM
I use Titebond 111 and Selleys PVA plus Exterior both I find excellent with the Selleys slightly ahead due to a longer working time.....I always coat each surface with a brush ,rub together then clamp with plenty of clamps (after cleaning off the excess)....have not had a failure yet!!!!

powderpost
29th August 2015, 07:05 PM
I use pretty much exclusively, Selley's exterior (Tradesmans choice). It sets quickly and reasonably hard and is excellent for a rubbed joint. Haven't had a failure so far. I only coat one side with light pressure. It sands well and doesn't go rubbery while sanding. I find it every bit as good as titebond, if not better.

Jim

gidgee 1
30th August 2015, 07:15 AM
I have to agree with powderpost +1 for Selleys Exterior.:2tsup:
Cheers
gidgee 1

Dalboy
30th August 2015, 07:50 AM
I have found that PVA type glues as good as they are allow a little creep and after a while you will find a very small ridge at the joints. I now use Cascamite glue

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th August 2015, 02:20 PM
I'm with Dai Sensei.

Titebond III for most jointing, a good epoxy instead if there's any need for gap-filling as well. (Which shouldn't be a problem on gluing smallish items, but... :-)

kcam
30th August 2015, 02:23 PM
I'm with Dai Sensei.

Titebond III for most jointing, a good epoxy instead if there's any need for gap-filling as well. (Which shouldn't be a problem on gluing smallish items, but... :-)

Gap filling!!! Shock horror !!!! :rolleyes:

chuck1
2nd September 2015, 08:50 AM
Thankyou for the feedback. I came to the decision titebond 111 as my mate's son was near masters and they carry the gallon bottles.
will still get some 2 pack epoxy just in case. Really don't want job comming un-stuck!
Pardon the pun!
ill start a new post with the finished items!

Mobyturns
2nd September 2015, 09:59 AM
As you are in the trade - check out AVSyntec - AV XL Plus http://bostik.com.au/_upload/ressources//industry/tds/avs_avxl_plus_110502.pdf

Other one to consider in production environment http://www.bostik.com.au/industry-products-catalogue-sheet-28508-av_xl_plus_single_pack_crosslinking_pva-m-0-g-406.html

Very good cross linking PVA with creep resistance & heat resistance properties. We used to purchase the 5lt as a group buy and decant. Segmenters like it because of the fast grab time - simply use a rub & grab glue technique with out clamping due to its short open time. The fast grab caused me problems with glueing shafts into discs for spin tops. :( Only thing to note is the caution about it being acidic, can stain some timbers and will rust your lathe bed if spills are not cleaned up. Big disadvantage is relatively short shelf life compared to Titebond II and Sellys products.