PDA

View Full Version : Purple Heart - issues with white in grain

Goggomobile
29th August 2015, 08:46 AM
Hi all

I do about 5-6 Purple Heart pens a years. I have issues with this white stuff in the grains. I have tried everything ..

a) resanding
b) cleaning with different things eg love ts, water etc
c) clean with fine bristles
d) coating with different finishes

nothing works...

theory .. I may have heated up to much during waning which released resin in the timber.

Gabriel
29th August 2015, 08:49 AM
Is this before or after a finish is applied? If after, what type of finish?

dai sensei
29th August 2015, 11:11 AM
Are they there before applying finish? If so I would say just the open grain structure of the timber, opening up the tiny hollow tubes you can't sand, so try sanding along the grain with finer grade sand paper before applying your finish. Enure you wipe along grain with metho/thinners to get rid of any sanding dust.

If after finish, then it is more likely the finish being caught in the open grain. Try sanding to a finer finish, then wipe down with some metho/thinners before applying finish. Don't use more than 1 coat of of CA if that is you finish, then use thick, the thin will get trapped in the grain and pond then turn white. If wax finish apply with as much heat as possible to get it to melt in.

Hope this helps

Goggomobile
29th August 2015, 08:01 PM
Dai Sensei and Gabreil
sanded to 1000 grit then Ubeaut EEE and then Shella Wax Glow ... Great Patina

I don't do this with alot I normally use Super a Glue ..

The white was there before and after coating ..

I will give it a go ... Sanding down grain, cleaning etc ...

Randal

Les in Red Deer
30th August 2015, 01:42 AM
Use compressed air to blow all the sanding dust out of the open grain prior to finishing.

Les

Goggomobile
31st August 2015, 06:51 PM
Les
yes will give it a go.

Randal