I found a blank of pallownia or japanese kiri , it was
very light in colour and weight, not sure where it came
from but i thought i would give it a crack, this stuff has
some serious tear out problems , I sharpened the gouge
several times but it didn, t make any difference, in the end
I used the skew chisel and was just taking off dust !!:o
It was like i was sanding there was dust everwhere,
but it seemed to work , started sanding with 80g
thru to 800g eee and used ncl to finish!
Just done the bottom at the moment, and was
wondering if anyone else has turn this stuff and
with what sort of results, this is the result so far!:U
Any comments and advice welcome !

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th August 2015, 06:46 PM
Nicely done, you have way more patience than I!

The few times I've tried Paulownia (probably P. Australis) I've ended up so frustrated with the rough finish that I resorted to final shaping with 80 grit. :- (I usually start the grits at 180 or higher.)

It does sand very nicely though... but I'm a turner, not a sander and I have no intention whatsoever of trying it again!

smiife
30th August 2015, 08:10 PM
Nicely done, you have way more patience than I!

The few times I've tried Paulownia (probably P. Australis) I've ended up so frustrated with the rough finish that I resorted to final shaping with 80 grit. :- (I usually start the grits at 180 or higher.)

It does sand very nicely though... but I'm a turner, not a sander and I have no intention whatsoever of trying it again!

Hi andy,
Yeah....I won, t be rushing out to buy any :no:,,, this
piece was given to me a long time ago, I have found out
since It is used for boats and surfboards etc....
Yeah I started sanding at 80g!
Thanks for your thoughts:2tsup:

Dalboy
31st August 2015, 05:02 AM
By the sounds of things you deserve 10/10 for perseverance. At least you managed to get the outside done all that remains is the inside. How do you sand

DaveTTC
31st August 2015, 08:30 AM
Looks nice. Very elegant

Staying tuned for next installment

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

smiife
31st August 2015, 09:05 PM
By the sounds of things you deserve 10/10 for perseverance. At least you managed to get the outside done all that remains is the inside. How do you sand

Hi derek,

Thanks for your thoughts, yeah, outside done ,
Sanding was done with my vermec inertia sander

Looks nice. Very elegant

Staying tuned for next installment

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Hi dave,
Thanks mate, I think I am the same as you
Work gets in the way of our hobby, I only
get a few hours on the weekend If I, m lucky:~
Hopefully I, ll get to finish It off next weekend:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st August 2015, 09:34 PM
Work gets in the way of our hobby, I only
get a few hours on the weekend If I, m lucky:~

Sadly, there seems to be a lot of that going around. :sigh:

smiife
1st September 2015, 08:28 PM
Hi guys,
Does anyone know if there are any problems with allergies
with this timber , a few family members have contracted
rashes and I wondered if it could be the pallowania ?
Any thoughts appreciated !:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st September 2015, 08:47 PM
Wood Database (http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/paulownia/) says no and I don't think I know anyone who will say they are allergic.

Then again, most woodies I know probably would say something like: "I'm allergic to something on that shelf..." :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that the fine dust from turning it can be quite nasty stuff, without it being any innate allergenic property of the timber species.

:shrug:

smiife
1st September 2015, 09:09 PM
Hi andy, thanks for the link, very interesting, I also
now know how to spell the name correctly:U

whitewood
2nd September 2015, 08:41 AM
Hi smiife

I put the correct spelling as the heading of this reply. I milled, processed and sold paulownia for a number of years. I never wore a mask and never had any real problems. The worst that ever happened was after a long spell with the band saw ( hours) I would sometimes get the sniffles. I used to visit a larger processor and none of his staff wore any protective clothing and didn't appear to suffer any problems.

There are a number of subspecies of paulownia. The most common one grown in Aust. is fortunai.

whitewood

smiife
2nd September 2015, 08:54 PM
HI smiife
I put the correct spelling as the heading of this reply. I milled, processed and sold paulownia for a number of years. I never wore a mask and never had any real problems. The worst that ever happened was after a long spell with the band saw ( hours) I would sometimes get the sniffles. I used to visit a larger processor and none of his staff wore any protective clothing and didn't appear to suffer any problems.

There are a number of subspecies of paulownia. The most common one grown in Aust. is fortunai.

whitewood

Hi whitewood,
Thanks for your comments, It is a strange timber
to turn with lots of tearout, but It did sand up ok!

whitewood
4th September 2015, 12:49 PM
Smiife

I never had anyone use it for turning. I used to tell customers that their tools had to be extremely sharp to get a good result. Given turning can be deemed 'tearing' the timber I can see why it isn't a good timber for turning. However for general wood work it is very good and finishes off very well.

Whitewood

MAPLEMAN
4th September 2015, 01:07 PM
Smiife

I never had anyone use it for turning. I used to tell customers that their tools had to be extremely sharp to get a good result. Given turning can be deemed 'tearing' the timber I can see why it isn't a good timber for turning. However for general wood work it is very good and finishes off very well.

WhitewoodProbably a quality thing...fast grown perhaps?
I know folk that have turned my stuff without issues :?
Maybe it is denser wood to what you have Smiife...MM