PDA

View Full Version : Whittling advice

Viollet
30th August 2015, 05:25 PM
My son ( 6 ) announces he would like to learn how to whittle. Where do I start to help him persue this interest? Any advice on knives, wood, equipment etc would be greatly appreciated. Don't let his tender age fool you, he has incredible toolmanship already, but I really like the idea of him exploring an area that may require a great deal more patience and gentleness than he is used to
thanks in advance !
V🌸

Andy Mac
31st August 2015, 09:54 AM
Hi Violett,
Carbatec sell some whittling knives, including Pfeil which are good tools. I have a set, but have also made my own from old kitchen knives from Op shops. Add secateurs, a coping saw and a hand drill to the kit.
Stick whittling is a good way to get kids interested, and hone their skills. Its also a great way to test out suitable timbers and look for interesting shapes to work with! Here are a couple I have made. Note there are also panel pins involved, so you need a tack hammer too.

Good luck :)

artful bodger
14th October 2015, 11:20 PM
If you can get him a copy of Whittling and woodcarving by a bloke called "Tangerman" you would be doing him a big favour.
361549 Published by Dover Publications New York. Standard book number 486-20965-2.
I got given this book as a kid and still use it. Have heard similar wraps from others on this forum.

issatree
14th October 2015, 11:46 PM
Hi Viollet,
I wood suggest, buying him a Kevlar Glove as well, just in case the Knife slips.
Old Kitchen Knives are a good way to go, & so much cheaper.
One of the hardest parts is in the Sharpening of the Tools.
You maybe able to find somebody you know, who belongs to a Wood Club or a Mens Shed that could help you out.
Thatsmy2senceworth.

issatree
14th October 2015, 11:53 PM
Hi Viollet,
I just had a look, & if you are in Witta QLD, then you are only a stones throw from Maleny. You should be able to get any amount of help there.

SHEETMETAL
28th October 2015, 06:09 AM
Hello Violet,
Have you checked out Youtube, lots of whittling videos there
Gerard