PDA

View Full Version : Lathe chisel identification

jonhurn
2nd September 2015, 03:54 PM
Hello fellow turners,

Recently picked up four old lathe chisels for $5 at a garage sale but the designs have left me a bit flummoxed. I'm relatively new to turning so any advice on their intended use gratefully received! There are no markings on the tools and the handles and ferrules are clearly all home made. Pictures attached:

The set - all four chisels shown with a 300mm rule for scale. These are BIG, the longest being 720mm in length.

Chisel 1 - Looks to me like a style of spear point or skew. The diamond face arises from a 45deg angle cut through the square cross section of the last 70mm of the tool. It's unclear to me which is the cutting edge, or perhaps it doesn't really matter?

Chisel 2 - Simple type of bowl gouge? A 45deg cut through the round cross section creates the oval face.

Chisel 3 - I thinking this is possibly a bowl gouge or shear scraper but never seen one shaped like a spade before. Blunt through lack of care.

Chisel 4 - Looks like a blank chisel waiting to be shaped and sharpened. There is absolutely no cutting edge on this at all, just a rounded off tip at the end of a round profile bar.

Thanking you in advance :U

Jon

artful bodger
2nd September 2015, 04:07 PM
They don't look like turning tools to me. If they are then I've never seen the likes of em before.
Perhaps they are metal spinning tools or something else like that?

Enfield Guy
2nd September 2015, 04:09 PM
Might be metal spinners tools. I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in.

Cheers

turnerted
2nd September 2015, 05:27 PM
Jon
You really should make the effort to visit one of the clubs mentioned . Most of the tools you have shown are of hopeless design and look downright dangerous . If you can just get to visit other turners you will save yourself hours of heartbreak .
Ted

Luke Maddux
2nd September 2015, 05:56 PM
For the sake of reaffirming what's been said already...

Those don't look like turning tools.

Good luck,
Luke

Christos
2nd September 2015, 06:05 PM
I am not able to advise what type of tools these are but do wish to welcome you to the forum.

Oldgreybeard
2nd September 2015, 08:08 PM
I found a similar set of tools when we cleaned out my late father-in-law's shed. No idea what they were for, but he was a plumber.
Bob.

Mobyturns
2nd September 2015, 10:16 PM
+1 on metal spinning tools - checkout http://www.jamesriser.com/Machinery/Forging/ToolForging.html

Oldgreybeard
3rd September 2015, 10:17 AM
I found a similar set of tools when we cleaned out my late father-in-law's shed. No idea what they were for, but he was a plumber.
Bob.

Thinking about this further, I beieve that they may have been used to form / fit lead sheet around vents and the like.

Bob

jonhurn
3rd September 2015, 02:37 PM
Hah - metal spinning tools! Thanks for all the feedback. Now that I know what they are I can pass them on to a colleague who knows exactly how to use them.

Cheers :)

Jon.