PDA

View Full Version : How Resistant to Termites is Camphor Laurel?

Bob Whitworth
2nd September 2015, 09:07 PM
I know that CL is a non durable species but I was wondering if it were used in doors and kept dry, how resistant to termites is it? Does anyone have any actual experience with this? I know that Hoop Pine is like termite bait and that Cypress is probably the most termite resistant wood there is. Durability is another issue which has to do with how wood decays when it is moist. HP and CL are non durable and CP is considered durable but I personally don't think it is very durable but this is something else. Good heart wood of many Eucalyptus, such as Ironbark and Gympie Messmate are quite termite resistant but termites can eat it if they have to but they do much prefer the sapwood of these species or wood that has started to decay.

Greg Ward
3rd September 2015, 06:33 PM
Bob,
Mal at Boutique Timbers has been stacking camphor outside for many years.
The area is full of white ants that eat the pine stickers and pine generally and chew on the Tassie blackwood and myrtle and jarrah and blackbutt.
But not camphor. Never seen on piece that has been chewed.
Greg

Bob Whitworth
3rd September 2015, 08:10 PM
Greg, Thanks for that. Yes, I suspect that that might be the case. CL is susceptible to lyctus borer but that is totally another issue. Yes, probably quite good to use in termite susceptible situation indoors.