PDA

View Full Version : Router Advice

Richardwoodhead
29th July 2005, 07:14 AM
Originally posted this query in the "General" forum. Then saw from Lou's response that I should have come to this site - so here goes again...

I'm looking for a hand held router (ie doesn't have to be particularly suited to a router table set-up) to do morticing and edge work. The "perfect" router would have a dust extractor port / attachment and have a good depth control mechanism for controlled morticing.

I bought a Triton router 12 months ago because it has a dust port and the plunge mechanism can be controlled by a winding handle. However the handle gets stiff & "stuck" all the time (I blow it clean, but it still doesn't work properly - doesn't wind down easily or fully, which means it's also a real hassle to change bits. It's in the repair shop. Again.) And the router opening is too small for large round-over bits (the plastic dust port gets in the way)...

Any info / input from satisified router owners much appreciated...

Thanks,

Richard

speedy
29th July 2005, 08:45 AM
I have a dewalt model DW621, works beautifully, would probably suit you. Has dust extraction through one of the supports very efficent when connected to a dust extractor.

Richardwoodhead
29th July 2005, 02:32 PM
Speedy, thanks. Have heard nothing but good things about the DW621. However, my local tool guy says it may not be grunty enough to work in dry jarrah. And it only plunges 50 mm. (some doors I make need a 60mm mortice). He recommended the DW625. But my research tells me there's no built-in dust extraction. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

Richard

Rbro71
3rd August 2005, 09:43 PM
If you want plunge depth have a look at the metabo e 1812 its about 1800 watt and has 80mm plunge.I m pretty shore the dewalt dw625e has 65mm they have a similar price on the just tools web site of just under 500 bucks.And no i have not used that router but I ve used there smaller router and a few of there drills and one word solid.