PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Ring Tool I have been loaned.

Charlotterose25
6th September 2015, 11:22 AM
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum so bear with me please.
I have been loaned a "Ring Tool " to try on my lathe. Great on the softer types of wood but it does not like woods like Black Wattle.
What I need to find out for its owner is ...What is the best way to sharpen a Ring Tool?
Obviously Not on a jig maybe a Diamond Hone? But is there a specific way ( direction ) you have to use?
This actual tool is only a one sided sharpened edge, not like some of he double ones I have seen.
Any advice will be very helpful.
regards
Charlotterose25

Sawdust Maker
6th September 2015, 12:58 PM
Can you post a photo of the tool in question?

I'm thinking you sharpen the inside with a round/cylindrical diamond hone but a good piccy will help us all :)

Sawdust Maker
6th September 2015, 12:59 PM
and welcome to the forum!

george mavridis
6th September 2015, 01:22 PM
Welcome to the forum Charlotterose, I have taken the liberty of copying the photo from FB onto here.

old1955
6th September 2015, 03:38 PM
Welcome to the forum.

shedbound
6th September 2015, 10:24 PM
Hi welcome, an old turner I know had a small timber drum of about 4" long and 4-5" dia, cover with fine 600? wet and dry, mounted on the outboard end of the head stock, and he used to just touch up the outside of the ring, if that makes any sense?

Paul39
7th September 2015, 03:56 AM
This: http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=tools-term-multi

tells about sharpening the inside with a cone shaped stone.

I would think sharpening the outside would eventually move the cutting edge in.

artful bodger
7th September 2015, 07:33 PM
There used to be a guy here in Hobart by the name of Vinnie Smith who reckoned he had the original patent on this tool. From what I remember he reckoned it did not need resharpening. It kinda sharpened itself as it wore down. He used to sell them from his shop in North Hobart called "Halls Machinery". Both Vinnie and the shop are now long gone.
He use to quite happily demonstrate his ring tool to potential customers. He made it look easy to use.
I never bought one though. No offense to Vinnie, but I thought you did not need one if you knew how to use gouges properly. Admittedly it did seem to make some jobs look pretty simple for the beginner.
Any way if you wanted to sharpen yours. I'm sure you could give it a grind.

Sawdust Maker
7th September 2015, 10:14 PM
looks to me as though you'd sharpen the outside - probably using a stone, diamond hone or maybe a slow speed wet grinder

Mobyturns
8th September 2015, 07:40 AM
http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/product_instructions/ring_tools.pdf should give you all the info on sharpening.