PDA

View Full Version : Old Bench Saw

Vann
8th September 2015, 07:41 AM
This has me intrigued. Looks like a double decker - like someone's mounted a smallish bench saw (seller says it takes a 9" blade) on the base of another machine.

Both bases look like cast iron, and while the top one is probably very ordinary, the bottom one might be off something more interesting?

Anyways, posted for your perusal.

Cheers, Vann.

Andy Mac
8th September 2015, 10:59 AM
Hi Vann,
Is that the base of the saw underneath, or an anvil!?

Cheers

Vann
8th September 2015, 12:41 PM
You're right Andy, it does look like an anvil. I'm assuming it's now part of the saw, and part of the sale (not that I'm going to make an offer - too far away).

Cheers, Vann.

L.S.Barker1970
8th September 2015, 12:49 PM
Anyways, post for your perusal.

Cheers, Vann.

I'll Have a guess and say the make of the saw is a "Tanner"

Melbourne Matty.

Oldbikerider
8th September 2015, 03:41 PM
I'll Have a guess and say the make of the saw is a "Tanner"

Melbourne Matty.

It doesn't look much like my 1950 Tanner. But it does look like a Walker Turner. I have a WT Driver Line and can take some comparison photos if you're interested Vann.

Also see:

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=12863

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=15781

Graham.

Oldbikerider
8th September 2015, 03:44 PM
If it is a WT, then I'd be very interested in getting my hands on those wings. Mine doesn't have wings fitted. Hmm, I wonder how much it would cost to ship two heavy cast iron parts from NZ to Sydney?

Graham.

nrb
8th September 2015, 04:47 PM
That look's like the saws used by type setters to cut linotype blocks.

Vann
8th September 2015, 08:34 PM
Is that the base of the saw underneath, or an anvil!?I've had another look at that photo Andy, and I don't think that's the horn of an anvil, but just a piece of bent steel sticking out. So maybe it's not an anvil after all. Nor is it the original base, I would guess.

I'll Have a guess and say the make of the saw is a "Tanner"I wouldn't know a Tanner if one fell on me...

...it does look like a Walker Turner. I have a WT Driver Line......but I'd say Graham has hit the nail on the head. It does look like the two saws in the links :2tsup:.

If it is a WT, then I'd be very interested in getting my hands on those wings. Mine doesn't have wings fitted. Hmm, I wonder how much it would cost to ship two heavy cast iron parts from NZ to Sydney?It's in Auckland (North Shore). I have family up that way and could possibly get it collected, if you really want the parts. Current asking price $50. Cost of posting? Expensive :o:C. However, with some shopping around, we may be able to find some company who might surface ship it, at a decent rate.

I'd be willing to strip and pack the parts you want, if you can wait until I'm up there in January.

Let me know if you want to take this further.

Cheers, Vann.

L.S.Barker1970
8th September 2015, 09:08 PM
I wouldn't know a Tanner if one fell on me...

Cheers, Vann.

Me either, it seems ...

Melbourne Matty.

clear out
9th September 2015, 02:59 AM
That look's like the saws used by type setters to cut linotype blocks.

These usually had a sliding table to the left of the blade.
H.

Oldbikerider
9th September 2015, 02:54 PM
Me either, it seems ...

Melbourne Matty.

Let me enlighten you then :)

Here's my 1950 Tanner, you can see that the base casting is quite different to the saw in Vann's picture.

Graham.

Oldbikerider
9th September 2015, 02:57 PM
Vann,

Thanks for the generous offer. If you had been closer and were able to verify the saw model etc. then I would have jumped at it, particularly as the fence aluminium casting is cracked on mine too. But purchasing remotely, then all the work of shipping the wings which may not even fit does not sound like a sensible thing to do. But thanks very much anyway.

Graham.

L.S.Barker1970
10th September 2015, 11:28 PM
Let me enlighten you then :)

Here's my 1950 Tanner, you can see that the base casting is quite different to the saw in Vann's picture.

Graham.

Yep, I was wey of, appreciate the heads up and lesson Graham !

Melbourne Matty.