PDA

View Full Version : Saved from the fire

kcam
9th September 2015, 03:31 PM
In another post I mentioned that I had saved two pieces of She Oak from from being burnt even though they were split. They presented the challenge of being repaired with resin prior to turning....and as commented in that thread I had heaps of problems getting the mix correct but after a lot of trial and error I had some success. I decided to turn firstly a thin wall vase, surprisingly it all held together and as the She Oak is extremely dry I don't expect too much further movement :rolleyes:
In casting the resin I made well walls with hot glue to minimise run off (refer photo) The vase walls are on average 2.5 mm thick and is approx. 120mm high x 75mm widest dia. The feet were an after thought as I wanted to develop a try out a jig for hold and turning out the base (see photo). I am not too sure about the feet effect and I would like to read what others think.

Durham Lad
9th September 2015, 03:44 PM
Hi, I am not a turner but the feet look fine to me . Delicate vase delicate feet. My view for what it's worth. Brian.

The Bleeder
9th September 2015, 04:36 PM
Hi, I'm not a turner either but it's different and I like it.

Christos
9th September 2015, 05:54 PM
Looks like it has come up very well.

crowie
9th September 2015, 07:45 PM
Very nicely done, Kerry,
Cheers, Peter

powderpost
9th September 2015, 08:31 PM
Kerry, that is nice. I think the round holes are too formal a shape, and conflict with the informal shape of the crack. Maybe a series of smaller holes in a random pattern would not look so stark???? I like the treatment of the feet.. very nice.

Jim

kcam
9th September 2015, 08:53 PM
Kerry, that is nice. I think the round holes are too formal a shape, and conflict with the informal shape of the crack. Maybe a series of smaller holes in a random pattern would not look so stark???? I like the treatment of the feet.. very nice.

Jim
Thanks Jim, I am saving the "informal"holes for the next one...you might just have to wait awhile to critique it......cheers Kerry:U

smiife
9th September 2015, 08:58 PM
Hi kerry,
Yeah, I like it looks good well done
The feet ......I think small carved ones would
look better, just my opinion,!! for what thats worth:C

kcam
9th September 2015, 09:27 PM
Hi kerry,

The feet ......I think small carved ones would
look better, just my opinion,!! for what thats worth:C

Hey smiife, you will just have to wait to I finish the next one, I might just make you and Jim happy. :D