PDA

View Full Version : Garage Partition Ideas - PVC Curtains etc.

bpbuilder
9th September 2015, 04:33 PM
Has anybody got any ideas on a cheap but adequate garage partition to shield off dust/wood chips etc. from my lathe/other machinery on one side? The other side has a car and other general garage stuff. I was thinking strip curtain or PVC curtains but they are really more than I'm willing to spend. The length I need to cover is about 6m long and a standard height of 2.4m. Any suggestions?

Kuffy
9th September 2015, 06:16 PM
70x35 merch pine stud wall. (rough guess about 55bux in studs and top/bottom plates)

then just clad it with something cheap, masonite, chipboard, mdf, gyprock, osb. (5 sheets of 2400x1200x6 OSB braceboard = $110)

but this really is a case of "function over form", because it will look quite nasty but will do the job.

Christos
9th September 2015, 06:23 PM
I am a member of a wood turning group. We used to meet at peoples houses and one of the members had a shower curtain. There would be space for the car but I think the car would move out when some turning would occur.

I should add that when we visited his house our meetings were in his garage and the place was very clean. He would clean at the end of the day.

Woodturnerjosh
9th September 2015, 06:32 PM
A guy I was working with had a some uni-strut with the channel rollers set up in his place with heavy plastic (like pond liner) that he would run out when he was doing car spraying. I remember him saying he lucked out with the unistrut and paid next to nothing for it though. So I'm not sure what it would cost you....

Cliff Rogers
9th September 2015, 08:58 PM
I've used builders black poly to make a temporary dust curtain across a shed.

The stuff that they use under concrete.

I held it up with a mixture of screws & clamps.

I had 3 verticls strips overlapping so I could push through the overlap to get to the other side of the shed.

I had to staple some strips of timber to the bottom as weights 'cos they would move in a breeze.

BobL
9th September 2015, 09:09 PM
Rather than sinking money into a partition that interrupts your work space it might be more beneficial for your health to improve the dust extraction efficiency?
If you capture the dust at source and use a DC to vent the garage you will find this reduces the fine dust considerably.

Mobyturns
9th September 2015, 09:10 PM
Has anybody got any ideas on a cheap but adequate garage partition to shield off dust/wood chips etc. from my lathe/other machinery on one side? The other side has a car and other general garage stuff. I was thinking strip curtain or PVC curtains but they are really more than I'm willing to spend. The length I need to cover is about 6m long and a standard height of 2.4m. Any suggestions?

Check out any retail stores that use large printed banners for advertising. These are usually made of very heavy vinyl sheet and can be 3m wide and 2.5m deep. After the promo period they just dump them so it doesn't hurt to ask if they have a few that you could find a new home for. If you're lucky it could be a QLD Maroon state of origin banner. :D

issatree
10th September 2015, 12:28 AM
Hi bpbuilder,
With the likes of M/10 around, their timber come wrapped in that rather good white plastic, just ask & it is yours.
Another source is what a king size mattress comes in. Quite a large area when opened up. Most likely 2 wood do the job.

KBs PensNmore
10th September 2015, 01:58 AM
When manufacturers of kitchen cupboards etc buy bulk sheets they come in a pack that is covered with sheets that can be utilised for cladding the inside of sheds etc. These can be picked up for around $5-$10 each.
Kryn

Dalboy
10th September 2015, 02:54 AM
The advantage of a stud wall is it give you more hanging storage space. The curtain will stop bits from being throw over the car but not so good at dust

bpbuilder
10th September 2015, 02:34 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. They are all less than 1/5 to 1/10 the price I was looking at for professionally made curtains so I like! Should have posted here earlier, brain was going into overdrive trying to think of 'cheap' solutions. :)

wm460
10th September 2015, 08:40 PM
I am going to get shower curtains to block the metal working area in my shed, so when I not turning I can push them aside. Turned my fist bowl in years recently I forgot how big a mess it makes.:no:

bpbuilder
10th September 2015, 08:52 PM
I am going to get shower curtains to block the metal working area in my shed, so when I not turning I can push them aside. Turned my fist bowl in years recently I forgot how big a mess it makes.:no:

Do you know where to get clear PVC 'extra long' ones from? The standard length seems to be 1.8. Maybe I'll have to settle for some polkadots or something if I go with this option haha...

Christos
14th September 2015, 06:49 PM
Do you know where to get clear PVC 'extra long' ones from? The standard length seems to be 1.8. .....

Could join two together and modify the length accordingly.