PDA

View Full Version : My very first turned pens . . . .

TrickinWood
10th September 2015, 02:04 PM
I thought I would post a new thread, even though there is a dedicated "Critique" Sticky, which hasn't had any movement since January, and because this is my very first pens turned, it deserves its own thread . . .

Its taken me a month to get to these pens. I ordered a Woodfast 305 from Carbatec with there winter special, and because I picked it up, a week after a wood working show in Perth, they had very little stock of anything. I had tools on order, and got sick of their, "It will be here next week" excuses, I ordered overnight from Timberbits a Robert Sorby Turnmaster un-handled with the Sovereign 16" handles, and 3 extra heads, as well as the Robert Sorby Interchangeable Pen Turning set.

So onto the Pens. My very first attempt was with a Fancy Slimline, Gold, that didn't get the Slimline body, because the other half, wanted something chunky to hold onto. It was done in a Spalted ??? something ??
The second one, I did yesterday, is a 30Cal Bolt Action, Chrome, in a Ancient Australian Red Gum.

Both where finished in a CA finish, 3 x coats of thick to 12000 micro mesh, and then tried to buff them up, with Friction Polish, which is the only polish I have until the weekend.

I was quite happy with my very first attempts, but was disappointed in the finish. I'm hoping I can get a better shine with EEE and Shellawax Cream. On the 30Cal, I did get a chipping on the CA once I took it all apart, as a little was just proud of the end of tube, and as I tried to remove it, it chipped making a 3mm fracture around the top end, and I placed that under the clip . . .

So please critique and suggestions on better finished or how to achieve the shine is most welcome.

Photos, where taken separately, but because the black felt was crazy covered in white specs, (only really visible once the image was taken) I cut them out and put them all into one image on a black background . . .

Cheers TW

Gabriel
10th September 2015, 07:46 PM
Great job as a first few. The ancient redgum looks great but I know from personal experience that it looks much better in person than a photo could ever show.

I am no expert by any means, but I believe wax finishes on pens may not be great as they are handled so regularly, the wax doesn't hold up.

Some others may help me here (I'm not positive) by saying eee isn't great as it leaves a black residue around the bushes.

Great first pens though.

The most sound advice I can give re finishing is to look at the videos David put up on the timberbits site. It's was the way I first figured out how to get a great finish.

Just my thoughts...
Cheers
Gab

Les in Red Deer
11th September 2015, 01:29 AM
Looks well done from here.

Les

Rum Pig
11th September 2015, 08:36 AM
First pens look good well done:2tsup:

I hope you did not use EEE with ca finish? I have found it does not work.
For the CA I use about 10 layers first is super thin and then onto gap filling CA and to polish I use the micro mesh pads all the way through and then a bit of car wax to add extra shine.
If you want more info on how I do it then let me know as I do not want to hijack this thread.

Dalboy
13th September 2015, 01:14 AM
From here the pens look good for your first attempts, You already know about the finish so will not repeat on that. The one thing that I will say is the slim line pen to me is a bit too chunkie for the style of kit but that is just a personal thing, if I want a fatter style pen using the slimline kit I would either turn a centre band in a contrasting wood a little thicker of buy some different centre bands.

Until you pointed it out I did not know there was a dedicated thread to show pens. So I also post my pens here if people want to comment on them then that is great as there is always something to learn

TrickinWood
14th September 2015, 10:10 AM
First pens look good well done:2tsup:

I hope you did not use EEE with ca finish? I have found it does not work.
For the CA I use about 10 layers first is super thin and then onto gap filling CA and to polish I use the micro mesh pads all the way through and then a bit of car wax to add extra shine.
If you want more info on how I do it then let me know as I do not want to hijack this thread.

No, I didn't have any EEE at that stage. It was just sanded to 800 then I used Med CA . . . In the last couple of days, I have found the Med/Thick CA likes to cloud and become dull. I have now gone another route. See below images.

From here the pens look good for your first attempts, You already know about the finish so will not repeat on that. The one thing that I will say is the slim line pen to me is a bit too chunkie for the style of kit but that is just a personal thing, if I want a fatter style pen using the slimline kit I would either turn a centre band in a contrasting wood a little thicker of buy some different centre bands.

Until you pointed it out I did not know there was a dedicated thread to show pens. So I also post my pens here if people want to comment on them then that is great as there is always something to learn

Thanks Dalboy. Truth be told, the Slimeline was my very first attempt, and was worried about taking too much off. I think I did under do it quite a bit. Happy the missus like it though . . .

I did a Sierra over the weekend, in Raspberry Jam and this is the first pen I would be happy to sell, or give to someone.
Sanded to 800, then cleaned and applied Danish Oil. Let that cook into the blank, then applied 10 coats thin CA and micro meshed to 12k, polished with Micro Gloss Liquid abrasive and this is the end result !!

safari
14th September 2015, 11:24 AM
Very nice! What is raspberry jam?

TrickinWood
14th September 2015, 11:32 AM
Very nice! What is raspberry jam?

Thanks mate. Raspberry Jam Tree is what the description on the blank is, but botanically known as Acacia Acuminate. I'm glad I only used less than half of it, because it has beautiful colours.

safari
14th September 2015, 11:47 AM
Thanks Trickinwood. I haven't come across that one before.

TrickinWood
17th September 2015, 10:53 AM
I know you guys that have done hundreds of pens are probably over seeing plain óle wood pens, but having had great success since my 2nd one, here is a few more I did over the last few days.

First is a Cigar Pen made with Gidgee and the 2nd is a Civil War Pen made with Amboyna Burl and last but not least, a European in Curly/Twisted Gum.

Wood Collector
17th September 2015, 03:51 PM
I like the ancient red gum and gidgee. If you don't mind me asking where did you get the ancient red gum from as I would like to get my hands on some. be warned that pen turning is addictive and any piece of timber that you think may be pen sized you will keep. Cheers WC

Dalboy
18th September 2015, 12:40 AM
I know you guys that have done hundreds of pens are probably over seeing plain óle wood pens, but having had great success since my 2nd one, here is a few more I did over the last few days.

They look great and some good finish on them as well. Don't be afraid to post them some pen turners like to see wood. Some of the wood you have used are not plain well over here in the UK they are not.

TrickinWood
19th September 2015, 11:57 AM
I like the ancient red gum and gidgee. If you don't mind me asking where did you get the ancient red gum from as I would like to get my hands on some. be warned that pen turning is addictive and any piece of timber that you think may be pen sized you will keep. Cheers WC

Yes the Ancient Red Gum is very nice. The picture doent do it justice, but was my 2nd ever pen, so the finish was a little off too.
I go it from australianturningtimbers (http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/australianturningtimbers?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754) on eBay. I didn't see any though, in their latest listings.