PDA

View Full Version : Another white oak bowl

splinterz25
11th September 2015, 12:51 PM
A few weeks ago I laid up some more of the curly White Oak from the same board I made the last bowl I posted; it had been sitting in the press curing while I have been packing for our move.
Today I had a chance to throw it up on the lathe a make a go at it; This curly whit oak is a real challenge to turn I was able to get two blanks glued up and had tried to turn the smaller one a few weeks ago and had a catch and it blew out the tenon I've just set that one aside for now and worked on this 10" x 5" bell shaped bowl today to give myself a break from all this moving stuff.
The finish is just one coat of Tung oil so far.
I like the way this one came out even though it doesn't have as much figure as the last one; I'm open for C&C.

Bruce

turnerted
11th September 2015, 05:02 PM
Spectacular grain but to me the proportions don't look quite right . I think it would have looked better if it had been a bit shallower,or of larger diameter , and with a smaller base , but that's just my thinking .
Ted

splinterz25
12th September 2015, 01:20 AM
Spectacular grain but to me the proportions don't look quite right . I think it would have looked better if it had been a bit shallower,or of larger diameter , and with a smaller base , but that's just my thinking .
TedThank you I'm getting many saying that about this piece I had been turning several shallow bowls and thought i would try something different; and I think if I had kept the sides straight to a smaller base it would have been better?

Bruce

Christos
14th September 2015, 06:53 PM
I can see this more like a bell and I like the way this came out.

Rod Gilbert
14th September 2015, 08:08 PM
Hi splinterz25,
Beautiful piece's of timber the grain is great you must be very pleased.
I agree with Ted about the shape but as a very small amount of change can be a world of difference I feel that the transition between the curves if more defined would make a huge difference to this bowl.
Regards Rod.

splinterz25
15th September 2015, 05:55 AM
Thank you guys; Yes I agree I should have done some more define curve to this piece and thought about putting it back on the lathe and doing just that?/? don't know if i will though.

Bruce

Dalboy
15th September 2015, 10:42 PM
The top 1/2 of the bowl looks great for shape next time try and not make it so deep I particularly like the way you have undercut the rim on the inside which looks like it matches the outside. I would keep this bowl and put it somewhere that you can see it and as you progress you will see how you improve, I still have some of mine on the top of a unit so that I can see where I started. The turning it's self looks good and you have managed to get quite a good finish. What ever you do keep showing what you have made as it is all a learning curve and most important have fun and turn safe.