PDA

View Full Version : New Lathe, Beginning Turner

igneggo
11th September 2015, 10:34 PM
I have a load of questions.
Firstly, I have acquired a second hand (low end lathe) and it needs a good refurbish before I do anything on it. It is a GMF (Brook Compton Betts) the same as the lathe in this: http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=142203 post, which wasn't concluded.
So secondly, I am looking for a manual, and I have done a lot of online, fruitless searching even for lathes of similar build to no avail. Can anyone help?
Lastly, I think I'm in need of a live centre (spur?). The shaft I have is only threaded, it has a faceplate screwed on, and cannot receive a tapered tang so I am looking for some advice there (re. chucks, spurs, adaptors options and places to purchase)
Many thanks in advance for any contribution.

hughie
12th September 2015, 04:25 PM
These lathes are the bottom end and I would doubt theres a manual. They held in very low esteem on the forum, so you might get a few funny replies.

I would not be to concerned with chucks just use the faceplate, save your money and buy good tools. Although you might want to get a couple of el cheepo to learn how to sharpen etc. If you dont have one yet it would pay you to look at getting a bandsaw and of course a grinder.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th September 2015, 10:13 PM
:whs:

I've seen some amazing work done on them, but that's more a testament to the blokes using them than any quality of the machines themselves. ;)

Because they don't have a morse taper at either end or a replacable tail-spur and use a non-standard thread for the drive spur buying after-market pieces such as chucks, etc. is more expensive than sensible. Unless you know a tame engineer, of course. So refurbishment might be a bit expensive.

As Hughie said, invest the money in some decent chisels and enjoy what that lathe will do instead. I learned how to make and use Jam Chucks courtesy of one o' them. :D (A skill which many turners never seem to learn, being spoiled by chucks from the get-go. But jam chucks will hold most anything a chuck will, plus quite a few that a chuck won't! A worthwhile skill, imho.)

Turn a few pieces, get the feel of turning. Learn what types of things you enjoy turning and then, if you still have the bug, look at replacing the lathe with something more versatile and will be able to take more standard attachments.

(As a bonus, the GMF can then live on as a nice linisher for elsewhere in your shed. :innocent:)