PDA

View Full Version : Muscle chuck

MarkV
13th September 2015, 11:25 PM
Gday all I have recently purchased a SwissTec router motor for table use in a Jessem lift and was wondering about fitting a Muscle Chuck. Anyone have any experience with them and how do I determine which one I need as they don't list the Swiss Tec on their site. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Mark

Ratbag
14th September 2015, 04:54 PM
Given that you're using a more "obscure" or at least less ubiquitous brand of router I suspect you may have difficulty finding a Musclechuck with an appropriate collet nut screw-threaded match for your router.

My "Musclechuck"... it's actually a Whiteside "Eliminator Chuck", is fitted to one of my DeWalt DW626 routers.

It's a beautifully engineered bit of kit that greatly enhances the routing experience by providing quick change and through-the-base bit exchange. Enhanced further, I might add, with the addition of a long, slender 5/64" ball-ended T-bar allen wrench (Bondhus). This allows me to change and use the very largest of bits (up to 80mm diameter) with impunity, a feat otherwise impossible with a standard spanner given the router's restricted base aperture. The combination of a big, heavy bit and 2300w of power makes this a pretty well unbeatable combination; unless you're talking about a Mafell or Scheer setup anyway. Smooth, powerful but controllable.

If you're after through-the-base bit changing in a router table then I suggest you look elsewhere. It doesn't add appreciably to the overall length of the original collet setup, but adds immeasurably to its convenience. There's no runout, no balance issues, and no detectable marking of bit shanks, a common problem to many of these type of products.

If compatibility and overall depth of cut are priorities, then there's many "collet extensions" on the market, that fit inside the original collet and nut. These may have runout and balance issues, as the extension places additional strain on lower shaft bearings. Both CMT and Trend make/market superior versions of these, using the classic Elu/DeWalt collet & nut setup on the extension.

As a compromise, and for the bigger of my router tables I have an "Xtreme Xtension" Collet extender/eliminator fitted to another of my DW626 routers. This is larger, heavier and longer than the "Eliminator", and likewise provides rapid inverted bit exchange in situ through the router table aperture. The additional length is in part counterbalanced by extremely accurate machining and a greater flywheel effect which helps to smooth cut progress. This "chuck" requires a 5/16" ball ended wrench for bit exchange.

The downsides to all these products is that they're all dedicated to one size of bit shank only (1/2"). While they do provide shank adapters as standard (1/2"-1/4") these are in my opinion best avoided as a severely compromised way of safely securing smaller shanked bits. I use much smaller Elu & DeWalt routers better suited to these smaller bits, fitted if necessary in a very old but incredibly well engineered Elu "micro" spindle/router table/base extension/edge guide setup.

malb
14th September 2015, 09:16 PM
Mr. Ratty, There is a slight difference between a 'Musclechuck' and your Eliminator. The Musclechucks have a router end that is dedicated to particular routers, i.e the Musclechuck replaces the collet insert and nut assembly, so they have no influence on the total performance of the system, whereas the Eliminator (I believe) mounts in the collet just like a router bit would. I believe the design of bit end is similar for both units

I haven't used either but have followed their development and user comments on a couple of other fora. I recall that one person complained that they had runout with a Musclechuck, and a replacement was offered and accepted and had the same problem. When everything was checked to locate the issue, it was found that the router spindle had a defect that was causing the issue. Otherwise all the comments that I have read have been very favourable, both in terms of runout, grip, and convenience. On average they provide about 25mm extension of the router spindle.

As for obtaining a Musclechuck for the Swiss Tec motor, the developer/manufacturer has been slowly extending the range to cover a range of popular routers, but given the range of fixed base units available in the US, the possibly don't know about the Swiss Tec. I looked at them on the Gregory site but they don't provide a lot of info about the collet system, but if you could provide the developer with details of the collet and nut system, they may identify a unit in the range that has the same collet system, and suggest that model.

Otherwise, an Extreme Extension style unit may be a better option.

Ratbag
15th September 2015, 02:10 PM
My Eliminator chuck is indeed a substitute for my collet & nut setup, directly fitted onto the tool's spindle.

As such it's in essence aesthetically and operationally indistinguishable from the Musclechuck: i.e. clones. Both are therefore model specific in possessing unique spindle diameter and thread reception.

My Eliminator chuck came with fairly specific and detailed instructions to remove any perceived runout experienced following installation, which thankfully wasn't required in my case.

Having said that I would suggest that in substituting a tightening cam for a sleeve the Musclechuck is probably a superior alternative. Both types quote additional assembly lengths of about 1/2" (over the standard collet protrusion) which may be insufficient for some router tables and plates.

This is especially so if said table is fitted with an auxiliary lift device which are notorious for robbing routers of their overall plunge depth.

Gwhat
20th October 2015, 07:50 AM
Hi

This is a true 'horses for courses' situation, for plunge routers, the Xtreme Xtension (http://woodworksupplies.com.au/xtreme-xtension-router-extension-collett-includes-t-handled-ball-wrench)is the best option as it gives enough extension for easier bit changes; for fixed base routers e.g. Swiss Tec and our new AUK Tools router (http://woodworksupplies.com.au/prl-v2-router-lift-and-1800watt-router-motor-auk)the Eliminator style works best as in these situations the extension aspect is not required. Both these routers are compatible with the Eliminator Quick Change Chuck #9700 (http://woodworksupplies.com.au/eliminator-quick-change-chuck-to-suit-1800-watt-router-motor)

I hope this helps?

Regards

Grahame

Xanthorrhoeas
21st October 2015, 02:47 PM
Hi Mark,

I cannot answer in regards to whether there is a Musclechuck available for your machine, but I did find the manufacturer helpful when I asked for advice.

I have, and use a Musclechuck that I purchased direct from the manufacturer in the US some years ago. I have it fitted to my Festool OF2200 in the Festool router table/CMS with router lift. The only issue that I have ever had with the Musclechuck was caused by my own user error. After fixing that I have found it a brilliant way to easily change bits above the table. Similarly I have used both the 8 mm and the 1/4 inch collet reducers for smaller shaft bits without any problems at all (you just have to follow the specific instructions for their use, which is easy).

I hope that this helps.
David