PDA

View Full Version : froes, shingles splitters and wabits?

soundman
30th July 2005, 10:33 PM
I have had a hankering for a froe (shingle splitter)for ages, even to the point of making one from first principles.
Does any body have any idea if they can be easily obtained or wish to part with one.

Now I am sure someone would do the wok at the wabit thing so I'll get it over with. :D Consider the gag done. :D
cheers

Ashore
30th July 2005, 10:54 PM
And will you pay for it or do you want one froe free

Auld Bassoon
30th July 2005, 10:59 PM
I have had a hankering for a froe (shingle splitter)for ages, even to the point of making one from first principles.

Cheers
G'day Soundman,

Please forgive my ignorance, but what the divil is a "froe" whan it's at home? I know you say "shingle splitter", but I'm still not with it - or maybe it's just that time of nighthttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Cheers!

soundman
30th July 2005, 11:17 PM
A froe is a short handled long bladed hacking device.
used to cut split and otherwise bludgeon timber into submission.
The blade is at right angles to the handle.
& is often struck with a beatall. Which is a large crude mallet.
A true wood butchery device.
sorry If I had one I would show you a picture.

Auld Bassoon
30th July 2005, 11:24 PM
A froe is a short handled long bladed hacking device.
used to cut split and otherwise bludgeon timber into submission.
The blade is at right angles to the handle.
& is often struck with a beatall. Which is a large crude mallet.
A true wood butchery device.
sorry If I had one I would show you a picture.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif I'm not really sure if I want to ask this, but why do you want one, or is just another bludgeoning instrument to belt those who play off key with?http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Cheers!

markharrison
31st July 2005, 12:20 AM
Does any body have any idea if they can be easily obtained or wish to part with one.
You have a couple of choices. You can buy one ready made from Mik (part number GB-487) for $220 :eek: or you can make one. Here is a link to an article from Mother Earth News (http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/1981_May_June/Rustic_Homemade_Hand_Tools_) (FWIW, it isn't very informative) but put simply, the destructions are to use a leaf spring. The leaf with the eye, obviously, will make it easier. I remember Stan Ceglinksi saying exactly this at a woodworking show. If I recall correctly Stan's favourite source was from a Landcruiser spring.

Here is another link from Mother Earth News (http://www.motherearthnews.com/DIY/1973_November_December/The_Froe_And_You__How_To_Make_Hand_Split_Shakes) on making shakes with the Froe. Note the hippyish character in the hand drawn illustration, but then this is from a 1973 article. :D

Tankstand
31st July 2005, 12:38 AM

You could always go to the T&WWWS and while big Stan isn't looking.........? :D :eek:

RETIRED
31st July 2005, 01:12 AM
You could always go to the T&WWWS and while big Stan isn't looking.........? :D :eek:
Hmm, living dangerously. Wouldn't want to be caught by Stan or the kids. :D

Schtoo
31st July 2005, 03:16 AM
Bassoon san, (sorry, been speaking wacky lingo all night...) here is a link to a froe.

Soundman, the same link will show you where to buy one and how much it will cost you.

Shingle froe link. (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=3&p=20116&cat=1,41131,41140)

Barry_White
31st July 2005, 11:32 AM
After all that Lee Valley comes to the rescue again.

Iain
31st July 2005, 11:48 AM
And keep away from my Landcruiser, it's got coils anyway.
Try ARB, they should have heaps of old springs off LC's when the owners upgrade to a decent suspension.
Looked at the Veritas link, should be easy enough to make.
Surprised no sparkies have jumped in yet......Double Pole Shingle Froe, Shingle pole Double Froe, ho ho ho ho :rolleyes:

arose62
31st July 2005, 06:29 PM
I've got all the bits for three froes sitting in my garage at the moment, waiting for me to weld together.

I've posted under the arc-welding thread it the metalwork bit, but haven't progressed since that post.

Total cost was about $10 for 1m of mild steel, and 150mm of thick wall pipe cut into three.

I did weld one up (badly), so am practicing before trying again.

The vehicle spring does sound like a good option.

Cheers,
Andrew

Iain
31st July 2005, 06:45 PM
How do you get the curve out of a spring though, they are as hard as nails, unless you want a slight curve on the shingle which would almost give it a tile like look.

Auld Bassoon
31st July 2005, 06:51 PM
Bassoon san, (sorry, been speaking wacky lingo all night...) here is a link to a froe.

Soundman, the same link will show you where to buy one and how much it will cost you.

Shingle froe link. (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=3&p=20116&cat=1,41131,41140)
Thanks Schtoo!

One learns something new every day; it's just that I have keep forgetting things to make roomhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon12.gif

Cheers!

outback
31st July 2005, 08:08 PM
I've got one, came from the days when men were men and shingle froes were used all the time. You can't have it though.
I've also got an adze, you can't have it either.

Bugger all help aren't I. :D

bsrlee
31st July 2005, 08:18 PM
AND don't forget you will need a beetle (?spelling) to drive the froe with. Froes are fun if you are into blacksmithing, as you can forge the thing out of one strip of steel, or weld a hard edge onto a soft back, then make that into the froe.

Obscure tool of the week at Medieval Sawdust is the 'jarvis'.

scooter
31st July 2005, 09:00 PM
This has got the brainbox going, could be the go for splitting kindling for the woodheater.

Not for the purist but wouldn't the aforementioned leaf spring be the go if the froe was just for crude work as mentioned?

The curvature on a short section (300 - 400mm ??) would be bugger all and not a big deal for this application I'd have thought.

The eye would obviously be parallel sided which wouldn't be ideal for retaining a handle, suggested solutions?

The hard spring steel would take a reasonable edge, not that it is used for chopping, more splitting from what I gather.

Cheers..............Sean, medievel froeback :)

echnidna
31st July 2005, 09:03 PM
The eye would obviously be parallel sided which wouldn't be ideal for retaining a handle, suggested solutions?

Cheers..............Sean, medievel froeback :)
Drive a steel wedge in the bottom so that it distorts the round eye into a conical taper and weld it up.

soundman
31st July 2005, 11:11 PM
For quite some time I have known all the details about making froes from leaf springs but ..... Its a process! particularly if you want to do it properly.
If I could just buy one it would be easier.
I checked what a couple of vendoes wanted :eek: $200 give or take.
The lee valley one looks cheaper, I note thet its welded not forged.
For real sreious splitting a real good thick spring would be the go.

I have a nightmare vision of the soundman fleeing wildly toward the carpark froe in hand persued by stan (spare froe in hand) the kids and the dog all wildly waving various prehistoric impliments howling for blood..... not a good choice.

the froe is a very versatile instrument it does more than split timber. Check out stans demo next wood show.

I'm a patient man, A froe will come my way soon enough.
cheers

markharrison
1st August 2005, 03:35 PM
The Lee Valley one is only 10 3/4" in length. I would have thought to be a little short by comparing to what else I've seen. Bear in mind I've never used one, only read about it so take that opinion for what it's worth.

Andy Mac
1st August 2005, 05:08 PM
That LV one looks cheap & although it is welded, I'm sure the way its done would allow good penetration all 'round.
Do you think the bevel is ground on one side only?
Regarding the use of leaf springs, if you really wanted to straighten a section out, you'd best do it with the forge, nice and hot then beat it flat on the anvil. The eye could be tapered too.
The other option is to get some new annealed stock from a spring manufacturer...I've bought some before for bugger all, and its straight and soft(ish).
Good luck,

markharrison
1st August 2005, 05:58 PM
Do you think the bevel is ground on one side only?
Yup, single bevel only.

soundman
2nd August 2005, 04:11 PM
Single bevel would be a bugger from what I understand of the use & dynamics.
The LV uitem is looking less & less atractive inspite of its price.

markharrison
2nd August 2005, 09:10 PM
I thought that they were only meant to be single bevel. But bear in mind my earlier disclaimer...

E. maculata
2nd August 2005, 10:31 PM
Soundman, all I ask is why why why?,
having had to have used an adze in anger all I can say is that the experience is fairly overated, and as far as I'm aware you can still buy shingles already split from good ole forest oak split by Phil Convery & his Dad from down near Ballina area :) BTW I reasonably sure a single bevel is the go ;)

dan_tom
3rd August 2005, 02:01 AM
Hi Soundman,
I have been checking out froes for a while now, and I can honestly say it would be a race to buy any that appear in the Brisbane area.
I recently found a link that has step by step instructions on making a froe. The link is: http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor/jdfroe/index.htm
It was a couple of months back that I printed out the instructions, so if the link is no longer I can copy and forward them to you.
I will probably try the landcruiser version first as I don't have a forge, but do have a neighbour that loves making noise complaints.
I believe that Stan made his own and the blade is a wedge (double sided) so as to split the fibres evenly.
Keep Smiling :D :D :D
Tom

dan_tom
3rd August 2005, 02:10 AM
Hi All,
While on the topic of such tools. Does anyone have links or info on making a drawknife from scratch?
I was contemplating grinding back a section of leaf-spring and welding on a couple of handles. Might be a good use for the other end of the spring.
Cheers
Tom :D :D :D
P.S Soundman, if you have not already bolted to the nearest wreckers, PM me as I might go halves in a set of springs.

soundman
3rd August 2005, 11:45 AM
Firstly the reason, I don't want to make shingles, that experience is a bit iver rated nut I would like to split down wood with a froe. I have wedges & a block splitter but they are not quite as refined.
As far as the draw knife thing. I want one of those too but they are a lot easier to obtain.
At this point I'm in no hurry as things have got a little busy round here.
But splitting some springs would be of interest.
cheers