PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane is Sunk!

bitingmidge
31st July 2005, 12:49 PM
Mrs Midge and I have just returned from the top of Buderim "Mountain" where we gave our pet Canadian a demonstration of how we sink our battleships!

Sorry, the slides are a bit heavily reduced to get the sequence down to 100k, and from 10 miles away on a brilliant clear winter's morning at 25° there was a bit of haze.

I'll post clearer ones later!

knucklehead
31st July 2005, 01:03 PM
Very nice Midge.
With all of the complaining about the cost I really didn't think it would ever happen. It appears that they will allow divers on to it within a couple of weeks.

Grunt
31st July 2005, 01:31 PM
I thought this post was about how Brisbane got sunk by the Bulldogs last night. Even if it isn't it should be. :D

Rocker
31st July 2005, 01:54 PM
Midge,

It makes a change for Australian naval ships to be sunk deliberately. I remember in the 70's and 80's they used to impale themselves on submerged rocks with monotonous regularity, although there were some occasions when they ran into one another instead.

I suppose that, with the invention of satellite navigation, it is a bit harder now to have that sort of accident, unless a determined effort is made.

I have a vision of Peter Beattie saluting as he went down with his sinking ship, like the Admiral in 'Kind Hearts and Coronets', but I am afraid it is only a dream.

Rocker

bitingmidge
31st July 2005, 02:03 PM
The moral of the story, if there is one, is:

If you are on a ship and you hear a couple of very large bangs, you have about 90 seconds to learn how to swim!

For proper shots, watch the news. They weren't 10-15k away and armed only with a 200mm lens!

Cheers,

P

flea1607
31st July 2005, 02:21 PM
I suppose that, with the invention of satellite navigation, it is a hit harder now to have that sort of accident, unless a determined effort is made.

So thats how the pommie sailors got stuck over east there a while back - a determined effort. :D

Rocker
31st July 2005, 03:22 PM
Flea,

I think those poms had made a determined effort to navigate the ship without anyone actually paying attention to where they were going. It has been some time now since Britannia ruled the waves; perhaps they should bring back rum, sodomy, and the lash to enforce discipline :)

Rocker

Ashore
31st July 2005, 05:32 PM
Actually the captain was returning to the vessel via helicopterd and the fub ( deck Officer) in charge turned into the wind for the chopper to land without looking ??
One of the only times I ever felt sorry for a fub the captain copped the blame not the clown who did it because the captain was on board and had left the chopper when they hit the Rock . By the way the rock was named after a previous british warship that hit the same rock.

Thought for the day

A cockroach can live nine days without its head before it starves to death.

Simomatra
31st July 2005, 07:09 PM
The Grand old Lady in better days will post again when I have some better snaps of the wake.
Samimages/icons/icon9.gifimages/icons/icon9.gifimages/icons/icon9.gif

ozwinner
31st July 2005, 07:13 PM
All I can think of in pic 2 is, that song, If I can turn back time with Cher.

Al :eek:

Gumby
31st July 2005, 07:19 PM
Isn't that our replacement ship in the background ?

Stuart
31st July 2005, 07:54 PM
Hope the RAN release a hi quality sequence as they did for HMAS TORRENS. I have that both as an AVI, and the original video footage. (For those that don't know, they deliberately torpedoed TORRENS from a Collins class sub.)

Each one sinking has a personal impact, having been in exercises with them, and taken photos of them. I hope to get to visit each of them again (being a keen wreck diver).

Gumby- no, it isn't. You are mistaking the RAN for the RNZN!

echnidna
31st July 2005, 09:10 PM
Quick ..... one of you northeners
.... rush out and check that they unhitched the mooring ropes......
otherwise bye bye Qld. :D :D :D :D

Gumby
31st July 2005, 09:59 PM
(For those that don't know, they deliberately torpedoed TORRENS from a Collins class sub.)

In that case it's amazing it isn't still afloat. :eek:

bitingmidge
31st July 2005, 10:12 PM
Quick ..... one of you northeners
.... rush out and check that they unhitched the mooring ropes......
otherwise bye bye Qld. :D :D :D :D

It's ok, we're safe! It's not that far from Nambour. The mooring ropes would have been stolen quicker than you can say "jobsearch".

P

:D

Ashore
1st August 2005, 01:23 AM
(For those that don't know, they deliberately torpedoed TORRENS from a Collins class sub.)

Gumby- no, it isn't. You are mistaking the RAN for the RNZN!
And torpedoed the submariners by building the collins class , another political decision
I am led to believe ( disclaimer ) that when the original specs were drawn up they called for 286 computers
so what did they install when built 286 computers though pentium 3's were available, the 286 couldn't handle the updated fire systems but they still sourced and fitted them cause thats what the specs said, of cause later replaced at taxpayer expense. How many are seaworthy today, why didn't the goverment of the day build the subs the navy asked for, politics.

Thought for the day

Percentage of Africa that is wilderness: 28% Percentage of North America that is wilderness: 38% ; percentage of Japan that is forest is greater than 70 %

Stuart
1st August 2005, 09:47 AM
Same happened for the ANZACs. At least they were 386s! Not sure if that has changed since I left, but they were still being built & supplied when P2s were available.

However, at least on the other side of the coin, a 286/386 is still a powerful machine where it comes to this application. And they are built to be shock proof, tempest tested etc etc.

Not that I am condoning the decision to write a product specific contract.

Ashore
1st August 2005, 10:17 AM
However, at least on the other side of the coin, a 286/386 is still a powerful machine where it comes to this application. And they are built to be shock proof, tempest tested etc etc.
The problem Stuart, was (as I am led to believe) they couldn't run the updated fire control system.
Up graded one part of the system without the rest and it didn't marry in
Not unusual , Thats why they employ so many professionals for their Docking , safety , maintaince schedules these Days

Russell

Thought for the day

Percentage of Africa that is wilderness: 28% Percentage of North America that is wilderness: 38% ; percentage of Japan that is forest is greater than 70 %

Stuart
1st August 2005, 09:15 PM
Doesn't surprise me in the least - bloody green steam.

On the Leanders, the Ikara system did it's job...just so long as the operator had a beer before trying to slow his reaction time down sufficiently.

Pity you didn't call then experts, rather than professionals ;)

Ashore
1st August 2005, 09:28 PM
I was being polite, cause we all know what an expert is

Russell

Thought for the day

Simomatra
2nd August 2005, 10:28 AM
Doesn't surprise me in the least - bloody green steam.

On the Leanders, the Ikara system did it's job...just so long as the operator had a beer before trying to slow his reaction time down sufficiently.

Pity you didn't call then experts, rather than professionals ;)
Thats the sort of green power I like Stuart.

Green stem is still supreme
Sam images/icons/icon7.gifimages/icons/icon7.gif

Stuart
2nd August 2005, 11:15 AM
I was being polite, cause we all know what an expert is

Knew you'd know ;)

Hard to find the boundary these days Simomatra- running diesels & GTs with green steam makes it hard to have a go at them. Much more fun back in the days when you put on overalls because you needed them!

Stuart
2nd August 2005, 02:29 PM
thanks to the Greenie for the Greenie. I was a stoker, but all that is now ancient history (pun intended ;) )

Zed
2nd August 2005, 02:44 PM
yo ho ho ye lubbers...

vsquizz
2nd August 2005, 11:57 PM

Stuart, that was SeaCat mate, optic/wire guided. If you fed the bird too many commands before it go off the launcher it would generally go rogue. Ikkybirds were fire an forget...well...most of the time anyway.:eek:

Cheers

Stuart
3rd August 2005, 12:08 AM
That's the one - that brings back the memories now - getting young cooks to go feed the captain's sea cat.

Got mixed up - appreciate the reminder!

The sea cat used a sacrificial oil system to steer the missile - once you ran out of oil, you ran out of the ability to control it! (Not being a Greenie, I can't get more technical than that)

vsquizz
3rd August 2005, 08:15 PM
That's the one - that brings back the memories now - getting young cooks to go feed the captain's sea cat.

Yes yes..off to the canteen to get a chocolate Ikara and milk for the seacat.:D

Cheers

Daddles
3rd August 2005, 10:41 PM
Apart from neither the Brisbane nor the Collins class Subs being made of wood (it's the WOODEN BOAT FORUM lads) ... it appears that said subs are currently out of the water thanks to a pipe of some description not being up to the job with the possible consequences of these submarines sinking ... without bobbing back up. :rolleyes:

Arrrr. I know we can the things, and from time to time they've given us plenty of reason to, but they are still regarded as one of the best non-nuclear powered subs in the world.

As a kid, I had a wooden submarine. It had a rubber band powered prop and if you wound it up properly and got the fins set at the right angle, it could dive just like a real one. Fantastic. :D I had hours of fun with the frustrating thing. :D Modern kids wouldn't even look at it if it wasn't remote controlled and could fire torpedos. :(

Richard

bitingmidge
3rd August 2005, 11:39 PM
Apart from neither the Brisbane nor the Collins class Subs being made of wood (it's the WOODEN BOAT FORUM lads) ...

Trust me Richard, I tried to refloat it on Sunday, and the Brisbane WOODEN budge!

Cheers,

P :D

Simomatra
5th August 2005, 10:07 AM
Heres the better photo's for you midge. Don't want to up set the wooden boat forum so only a couple posted any one who wants can PM me I have more and will get the underwatre shots soon

Cheers sam

bennylaird
21st September 2005, 08:56 AM
The problem Stuart, was (as I am led to believe) they couldn't run the updated fire control system.
Up graded one part of the system without the rest and it didn't marry in
Not unusual , Thats why they employ so many professionals for their Docking , safety , maintaince schedules these Days

Russell

Thought for the day

The weapon system software is actually very sound and capable of running on most modern platforms. Trouble is the time it takes for the system to aquire the hardware. We managed to keep older gear running by finding old IDE boards in the junk boxes.

NASA is also having probs supporting their old hardware in the shuttles but it still works for what it has to do.

I'm multilingual, can speak greenie and stoker, ex RAAF.

bennylaird
21st September 2005, 09:04 AM
The Grand old Lady in better days will post again when I have some better snaps of the wake.
Samimages/icons/icon9.gifimages/icons/icon9.gifimages/icons/icon9.gif

Some of my workmates are having fun trying to identify everyone. Any chance of a better quality copy og the Greenies?

Simomatra
21st September 2005, 03:39 PM
Some of my workmates are having fun trying to identify everyone. Any chance of a better quality copy og the Greenies?

Will see what I can do. If successfull will PM it too you

Regards Sam