PDA

View Full Version : Preston Bandsaw

Vann
17th September 2015, 10:39 PM
I've always wanted a decent bandsaw. As an apprentice we learned on big commercial machines (probably 36" Wadkins or similar). There were a few little 14" machines at the workshops (Otahuhu Railway Workshops, in Auckland), but I hated the way the blades wobbled around - I never desired a small one.

Two months ago I heard that a building (containing a big bandsaw) at the Hutt Railway Workshops (Wellington), about 5km away from where I now live - was due to be demolished. Last week I received notice that the few remaining machines were to be sold at "silent" auction.

The building is (was) the Maintenance Shop.

359771 359772

...formerly the Coppersmiths Shop (until the late 1970s - early 1980s). On Monday morning when I visited, it still had a reminder of it's previous use.

359773 Note the yellow sign: "Machines to be used by Coppersmiths Staff only"

Amoung machines up for grabs were this 18" grinder...

359774 359775 BR Rowland & Co Ltd (UK)

Several drill presses...

359776 Meddings (UK), Strand, and Tanner (NZ)

And a few other machines I didn't photograph, including a Trojan (NZ?) draw saw, a Dyco buzzer (NZ) and an un-named 3 phase benchtop mounted small metal lathe.

But the beastie I was interested in was this 30" Preston Woodworking Machinery Co. (Canada) bandsaw

359777 359778 Ugly, but beautiful :?.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
17th September 2015, 11:25 PM
Rumour has it the 18" grinder didn't sell. The draw saw, buzzer, and lathe went. I don't know about the drill presses. The building is now in the hands of the demolition company.

And the bandsaw? Yup, I won it :2tsup:.

In the early 1900s the New Zealand Government Railways had a workshop in the Wellington region at Petone (~ 10.5km from Wellington CBD). A Royal Commission established in 1924 to examine the issue of railway workshop facilities around the country reported that much of Petone's machinery was out of date or obsolete, and that there were serious congestion problems owing to the lack of space for expansion. This resulted in the construction of a completely new complex 4.5km away across the Hutt Valley near Woburn Station, opened in 1929.

This new Hutt Railway Workshops complex was intended primarily as a steam locomotive building and overhaul plant, with a large number of buildings, including a Foundry and a Pattern Shop. Amoung the new machinery the Pattern Shop was equipped with was this 30" Preston bandsaw - Machine No.1710.

359782 Machinery Record card - 1710.

It was purchased new by New Zealand Government Railways, and installed in the Pattern Shop in Feb. 1929. Net cost £117 17s 11d; Electrical charges £5 16s 8d; Installation expense £10 10s 2d; giving a grand total of £134 4s 9d. There are no costs detailed on the motor Machinery Record (it has it own card), so I assume it's cost is included in the saw cost - most likely in the 'Nett cost' rather than the 'Electrical charges'.When the Pattern Shop (and Foundry) were closed in the late 1980s it was moved to the Maintenance Shop (formerly the Coppersmiths Shop).

It is fitted with a Westinghouse type CS induction motor (3 hp; 50 cycle; 3 phase; 400v; 480rpm full load; style 53C54; serial 4718701). Made by Westinghouse at their East Pittsburgh Works (USA). Machine No.1711.

359780 Machinery Record card - 1711.

359781 Machine 1711.

I'm delighted to have such detailed information on the origins of my new toy :cool:.

And just of possible interest: the old Petone workshops were demolished to clear the site when the new shops opened - with the exception of the newest building, the Paint Shop, which had been built in 1912. It was demolished in 2012 in conjunction with the re-alignment of State Highway No.2 through Petone.

Cheers, Vann.

sion.dovey
18th September 2015, 07:25 AM
Nice story Vann; I have never seen or heard of a machine by B R Rowland, that grinder is a fine thing, I do hope it finds the right home. By silent auction do you mean sealed bids? Called an auction by tender in the uk I think. I've never bid in one of those, it would bring a whole new dimension to deciding what to bid. Some super bargains can be got that way, there's a well known story locally of a church that was sold a few years ago some miles from here for £1!
Heres a link to a picture of it:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/219215

Sorry to deviate, it won't happen again. You've bought a lovely saw, and from the sort of place I would delight in being allowed to poke around for a few hours and just see what still remains.

Vann
18th September 2015, 07:39 AM
By silent auction do you mean sealed bids? Called an auction by tender in the uk I think. I've never bid in one of those, it would bring a whole new dimension to deciding what to bid.I don't know the definition of a 'silent auction' either (house sales over here are sometimes done by 'open' [unsealed] or 'closed' [sealed] tender).

I was given two double sided sheets of paper with pictures about 20 items (mostly 1960ish slave clocks!). I had to write my bid, name, and contact details and leave it (unsealed) with the office. I don't work at the plant anymore (though I'm still with the same company), so I don't know if others got the opportunity to see my bid and bid against me, or not. It was certainly hard to put in a bid and walk away last Friday :C (I had to go to work).

Chees, Vann.

Vann
18th September 2015, 07:47 AM
My apologises to those who regulary check the Canadian forum, as some of this material has already been posted there. For those of you who don't, read on...

Initially I had some difficulty identifying this machine. Guards covered everything :~. There were just the letters "PRES" on the arm that supports the upper wheel.

I searched vintagemachinery.org and found the "Preston Woodworking Machinery Co. Ltd" of Canada. There were four bandsaws listed in the Photo Index, but none bore any obvious resemblance to this machine. However, in their Images index I found a 1916 image of a 36" bandsaw (mine having been made ~1928 for it to have been shipped and installed by Feb. 1929). The wheel hub on the upper wheel caught my eye as being a match. So when I was stripping down the saw on Monday I posed this photo

359796 359795 Without a doubt, that's a match :2tsup:

Removal of the guards revealed more...

359797 The whole of "PRESTON" revealed.

359794 Someone repainted the upper portion, but painted around this transfer.

359798 Removing the motor cover revealed this lettering, and the classic curves disguised by the boxy cabinet.

The bottom of the casting has been altered to add sides, to form a cabinet enclosing the lower wheel. The doors of the cabinet are also cast iron - I nearly did myself an injury removing the first one as I thought it would be lightweight aluminium (it weighs a ton - well, over a cwt anyway).

Note the Machine No. - 1710 - painted on the back.

Cheers, Vann.

jcge
18th September 2015, 10:09 AM
Very nice bandsaw Vann, and the Machinery Record cards are a real treat. Well done on getting them with the machine :U

Regards
John

camoz
18th September 2015, 11:51 AM
Vann,

I really love the back story, and the information you have gathered on the machine is a big plus.

There were a few little 14" machines at the workshops (Otahuhu Railway Workshops, in Auckland), but I hated the way the blades wobbled around - I never desired a small one.

Some machines really benefit from there mass, and IMO, the bandsaw is one of them. I don't think your going to have an issue of with vibration with this one:U.

cheers,

Camo

Vann
18th September 2015, 11:18 PM
I Googled the Pattern Shop and found this photograph

http://mp.natlib.govt.nz/detail/?id=36774&t=pictorial&q=pattern&f=&u=0&s=a&l=en&tc=0&recordNum=0&numResults=20&p=0

359876 I wonder if this is my bandsaw?

It appears to have the box cabinet base, and no connection to the overhead line-shaft (i.e. its own motor).

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
21st September 2015, 12:47 PM
From The New Zealand Railways Magazine (vol.3, issue 1) dated 1 May 1928, is this article on the construction of the pattern shop

The article is incorrect, in that the Pattern Shop was being constructed 4.5km away at Woburn, to replace an existing facility at Petone.

A year or so later it's kitted out and in use.

359875 National Library collection photograph.

From records I've been able to peruse I find that in addition to the Preston bandsaw, other brand new machinery in the new shop included:

Circular Saw Bench
Thos. Robinson & Son – Rochdale, England – type LS, ø16inch
Net cost: £158 0s 6d; in service Feb 1929.
Fitted with fast & loose pulleys,
Fitted with 3hp, 1425rpm, electric motor (#1698A) in 1950.

Lathe - Double Head Pattern Makers
Thos. Robinson & Son – Rochdale, England
4 speed; 18’ bed; 13” & 10” centres.
Net cost: £242 13s 1d; in service Jan. 1929.
Fitted with fast & loose pulleys,
Later fitted with 2hp, 950rpm electric motor (#4203).

Disc & Bobbin Sander – JT 141
Wadkin & Co. – Leicester, England
30” disc; 2”, 3” & 4” bobbins.
Net cost: £160 1s 0d; in service Jan. 1929.
Fitted with 5hp 950rpm Crompton Parkinson electric motor (#1708) No.L4A.

There is information on a few other bits and pieces, such as blowers and motors.

In later years other bits of machinery are added, such as a drill press, and for the Wadkin fans, this item.

Combined Surfacing & Thicknessing Machine – RMA 839
Wadkin & Co. – Leicester, England
30” disc; 2”, 3” & 4” bobbins.
Net cost: £350 0s 0d; in service March, 1944.
Fitted with 4hp 2860rpm English Electric electric motor (#1722) No.5N. 10125/6 - for planning head; & 1hp 930rpm English Electric electric motor (#1723) No.5N. 10128/16 - for feed rollers.

I've not yet determined the exact date of closure of the Foundry and Pattern Shop (there was a mid-1986 proposal to close the Foundry, but no confirmation of when it actually closed). However, the building itself is standing today.

360096 now Warehouse No.8.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
19th October 2015, 07:22 PM
This has come to light.

It's a dead ringer for my Preston bandsaw. It comes from this brouchure.

361850 I think I'll have to call my bandsaw "Earnest" ("Earnie" for short)

Although the machine shown is a 36" model, a number of components on my 30" saw have the numbers "132" cast into them. So I conclude that mine is a 30" version of the No.132.

The images above, show that the machine could be ordered with mesh guards over the upper wheel, with the wheel hub exposed. Looking closely at mine, I see that the mesh over the wheel hub, and over the upper blade guide, are a coarser weave.

361852 top half of my bandsaw

This leads me to believe that the mesh over the hub and blade guide, are a later addition, while the mesh over the majority of the wheel is the original Preston guard.

Looking back at the ~1929 photo of the interior of the Pattern Shop, you can see the original mesh - without the addition of the hub guard.

361853 excuse me mate, you're blocking my view!

That saw is, almost without doubt, my saw :2tsup:. Cool :cool: !!

Cheers, Vann.

jayeson
23rd October 2015, 02:49 AM
That is great you found an old factory pic of it. I had a big jointer that I was told came from the factories of historic local department store Boans. I spent ages digging through archives hoping to find a pic of it in the factory but all pics of the factory I found were from the outside.

- Jayeson

clear out
23rd October 2015, 07:51 AM
That is a great photo of the Patternshop with all the workers and patterns and core boxes.
In the lower foreground there a pile of loose teeth for the double helical gear patterns.
Also the jig for holding the rough cut teeth as they were planed to shape.
I have a text book some where with a lot of info on laying out and shaping gear patterns.
You have done a great job chasing up this background info on your saw.
H.

Vann
23rd October 2015, 08:42 AM
That is great you found an old factory pic of it..

You have done a great job chasing up this background info on your saw.Thanks guys. I'm lucky, I live in the city that houses New Zealand's National Archives and the National Library. The National Archives holds the New Zealand Railways photograph collection. I spent a few hours looking through this collection for photographs of the Pattern Shop. While there were probably over 100 photos of the Foundry (mostly stuff like sand conveyors, but many interesting shots as well), there were just three taken inside the Pattern Shop. One was something being turned on a lathe. The other two were patternmakers using handtools.
New Zealand Railways also had a foundry in Dunedin (Hillside Railway Workshops). Again many photos of their Foundry, but zilch on their Pattern Shop. Incidently, the Hillside Foundry and Pattern Shop was sold to Bradken as a going concern, two years ago, and the remainder of the complex closed.

I need to spend some time looking through the National Library photograph collections - I found the Pattern Shop photo online. The bloke who took that photo, Percy Godber, was a (now famous) early photographer, who worked at the Petone Railway Workshops, and then the Hutt Railway workshops. There may be more Pattern Shop photos in his collection of glass plate photographs.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
27th December 2015, 04:08 PM
Earlier in this thread I posted this picture of the former Coppersmith Shop - later Maintenance Shop - where my bandsaw resided from 1987 until I purchased it in 2015. The building was due for demolition.

366891 Friday, 11th September, 2015.
The building a few days before the last machinery was removed.

366890 Friday, 25th September, 2015.
Going...

366889 Wednesday, 7th October, 2015.
Going...

366888 Friday, 9th October, 2015.
Gone. The bandsaw was located directly in front of the yellow digger, immediately to the left of the big grey bin.

A sad end. Fortunately most of the old machinery went to good homes.

Cheers, Vann.

L.S.Barker1970
27th December 2015, 07:56 PM
Not easy to watch Vann
I've seen many beautiful old work shops, buildings get pulled down,
Especially when the land is worth more for residential development.
If a building has character and has some age to it I get very emotional as I feel saving our heritage is very important.
Whilst I'm all for change, I believe keeping what we can from the past is still equally important, its always good to see where we have been and what we have achieved.
Well done for saving that band saw Vann, its your piece of history now .
You are the custodian, and what a wonderful responsibility !!

Melbourne Matty.

clear out
28th December 2015, 09:23 AM
Fuiiiiiig cuuuuuuuuuuuutz
At Sydney Uni 2 years back they waited until the Xmas break and then put the dozer thru the heritage listed old carpenters maintainance stone workshop.
They didn't even remove the Wadkin DR36 and the Wadkin disc & bobbin.
We chased them pretty hard on these two.
They offered them on the internal net to any other departments who wanted them but no one did.
I then enquired re the local men's shed but it was all too hard for the desk jockeys.
Eveleigh has now been sold, We'll now see a thousand new units on that site.
Land in Sydney is now so expensive my old workshop is probably worth a mill or two.
Fat lot of good that does me, let alone my kids who may want/need to buy here someday.
H.

Vann
27th March 2016, 07:22 PM
Not easy to watch Vann
I've seen many beautiful old work shops, buildings get pulled down,

Whilst I'm all for change, I believe keeping what we can from the past is still equally important, its always good to see where we have been and what we have achieved.
Well done for saving that band saw Vann, its your piece of history now .
You are the custodian, and what a wonderful responsibilityYes it was sad to see another part of the complex pulled down.

At least the original Pattern Shop is still standing and probably will be for a while yet.

375356 1929

375357 2016

There's been a few mods (window in end wall; remains of ducting under the ceiling), but still standing and in use as a warehouse.

375358 2015.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
27th March 2016, 07:41 PM
I've not yet determined the exact date of closure of the Foundry and Pattern Shop (there was a mid-1986 proposal to close the Foundry, but no confirmation of when it actually closed).In early December last year I was able to do some more research into woodworking machines originally installed at the Hutt Railway Workshops. Unfortunately I couldn't locate any machine files, just an old leather-bound, hard cover index.

A large proportion of the Pattern Shop machinery was marked "Removed from service 16-2-87" strongly suggesting 16th February, 1987, was the date the Pattern Shop was closed (a date I haven't previously been able to establish). And a lot of machinery from the Pattern Shop and other parts of the workshops closed around the same period of downsizing, was marked "Sold 9-6-87". I believe there must have been a major sale of surplus equipment on that date.

The steel and iron parts of the Foundry were closed about the same time, but a small part of the Foundry staggered on for a year or two doing non-ferrous castings. The Foundry building is also still standing, also now a warehouse.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
31st March 2016, 03:44 PM
There's not a lot of info out there on the Preston Woodworking Machinery Co. and very few of their machines seem to have survived. However, since acquiring my bandsaw back in September, last year, I’ve come across four pieces of information that may indicated the development of this saw. Two of these are dated.

The first is an advertisement in Canadian Machinery (21st Dec, 1916), posted on VM.org, is dated 1916 and shows a very basic (but classic shaped) 36-inch Preston bandsaw.

375692 (https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/filedata/fetch?id=920127&d=1454471877)

The second is my own saw which was installed in New Zealand in February, 1929 – and therefore must have been manufactured in 1928 (or possibly slightly earlier).

375691 (https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/filedata/fetch?id=920126&d=1454471877)

The other two are: this four page pamphlet, which I was able to source with the help of some good and valued friends.

375687 375688 375686375697 (https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/filedata/fetch?id=920131&d=1454471875)

Note that the third page uses the same illustration as the 1916 advertisement, while the last page depicts my 1928 saw.

And this catalogue cut, which was posted on a Preston thread on OWWM by 'Darnell'.

To put these into chronological order I’ve taken a few educated guesses.

This is obviously the state of the saw in 1916 (with possible variations).

375689 (https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/filedata/fetch?id=920125&d=1454471878)

I would date the pamphlet cuts as being contemporary or slightly later, but before 1928. I base this assumption on the cut showing the bandsaw with motor. Although the base has the cast sides to the cabinet, there is no provision to attach the motor (other than the drive belts). The motor sits separate at the LH end (RH side in the illustration).

375693 (https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/filedata/fetch?id=920134&d=1454471873)

My ~1928 machine has the main frame pattern altered to allow the bolting on of a motor “shelf”. I think it is most likely that this was added after the illustrations for the pamphlet were made.

375694 (https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/filedata/fetch?id=920135&d=1454471873)

Placing the cattledog cut is easy. The main frame pattern has been altered again to incorporate a motor within the saw (a much more compact and satisfactory arrangement).

Improvements include:
• Motor mounted ‘onboard’;
• Carter guides replace Preston’s own guides;
• Carter wheels replace Preston’s spoked and solid wheels;
• Upper guide bar and slide castings altered to incorporate rack and pinion raising and lowering;
• Lower cabinet doors changed from cast iron to aluminium castings;
• Upper guard changed from steel mesh to solid aluminium.

375690 (https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/filedata/fetch?id=920134&d=1454471873) 375696 (https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/filedata/fetch?id=920134&d=1454471873)

A quick look into Carter bandsaw wheels and guides suggests the Carter tyre was patented in 1929-30; the pressed wheel in 1930-31; and the guides in 1931-33. This makes the catalogue later than 1931. However, looking at the style of the cattledog - just how totally different the presentation is to the pre-1928 pamphlet - I would say it's a decade or two later than the pamphlet - maybe even 1950s. Note the "Canada goose" logo. I wish I knew more about dating advertising styles.

The electrical switchgear in this catalogue is Square D. I haven't found anything to date that so far.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
31st March 2016, 04:13 PM
The cattledog cuts from OWWM are hard to read. I've gone through them and transcribed them word for word (including errors) as follows:

375704 375698

No.132
PRESTON
LATE TYPE, HIGH SPEED
BALL BEARING
BELT or MOTOR DRIVEN
BAND SAWS

FRAME
Solid one piece Cast Iron, with frame for bottom doors solid on column. Parts below table fully enclosed. If motorized, motor is fully enclosed.

TABLE
Solid one piece Cast Iron, planed perfectly true and smooth and tilting to 45° to right and 10° to left with our improved screw tilting arrangement. It can be locked securely in any position. Graduated gauge shows angle of tilt.

CAPACITY
Admits 15” under Saw Guide, Distance from column to saw
30” Machine_ 30”
36” Machine_ 34”

EXHAUST PROVISION
Dust outlet is cast in frame as shown.

BEARINGS
Both Wheels are carried on SKF SPECIALLY MANUFACTURED PRECISION Ball Bearings.

BRAKE
Suitable foot operated brake on bottom wheel.

TOP GUIDE COUNTERBALANCE
Top guide raises and lowers from 1” to 18” by means of a Hand Wheel which operates pinion and rack on square Vertical Bar. This EXCLUSIVE feature removes any inconvenience and danger to operator, as the guide CAN BE RAISED AND LOWERED BY ONE HAND, and securely locked when set.
Sliding Guard on Machine over saw blade which raises and lowers with the Upper Guide.

SAW TENSION
Is automatically regulated to take up slack in blades.

SAW ADJUSTMENTS
Top wheel has a very sensitive Tilting device for making Saw track properly on wheel. It has a vertical adjustment of 10”.

RIPPING FENCE
Standard Band Saw Ripping Fence supplied.

GUARDS
Machine completely guarded with Aluminum Encasing doors below and Aluminum Guard above. (Note Column is cast with frame for door solid on column and not bolted). Upper and Lower Doors are hinged for opening and allow easy access for putting on and taking off saws.

BALANCE
The completed Machine is so balanced and designed that it is absolutely vibrationless and the saw blade therefore, is not subject to strains or shocks due to poor operation on any part of the equipment.

OILING PROVISION
All running parts equipped with Alemite Fittings for grease lubrication.

WHEELS
30” Machine_ 30½“ x 2”
36” Machine_ 36½“ x 2”

EXCLUSIVE WITH “PRESTON” BAND SAWS “CARTER” Rigid Wheel with ”CARTER” Quick change Demountable Tire, both Top and Bottom.
”CARTER” Wheels are perfectly balanced, light in weight and true running.
”CARTER” Tires fit with Precision without using any glue and operate under any conditions, can be changed in 15 minutes without removing the wheel or using any special tools.
We have the exclusive Canadian rights to this ”CARTER” equipment, and are the only concern in Canada supplying ”CARTER” Wheels and Tires as regular equipment.

GUIDES
”CARTER” Micro-Precision Guides, both Upper and lower, are standard equipment with “PRESTON” Band Saws.
These Guides enable you to produce better work and faster production.
The ”CARTER” Micro Precision Guide has only one set of jaw blocks, which reduces friction by 50%. Each Jaw block has independent micrometer adjustment. Adjusting screws keep operator’s hands away from blade and wheel is completely guarded. This makes ”CARTER” Guides the safest guides.
Replaceable rims save time and money.

3 - SCREW QUICK DETACHABLE FACE – RING
3 Screws (A) permit quick replacement of face-ring when completely worn out. Oil-hole (B) lubricates shaft and ball-bearings at high speed.

BELT DRIVEN MACHINES
All Belt Driven Models are equipped with Ball Bearing countershaft mounted on lower wheel with ball bearing loose pulley.

V BELT MODELS
Machine can be arranged to drive from an Individual Floor mounted motor to V Belt Sheave mounted on lower wheel shaft. Recommended for certain special material cutting.

DIRECT DRIVE MODELS
Machine arranged for Individual Motor Drive by fully enclosed Built in “Motor-on-Shaft” Drive with a 3, 5 or 7 ½ HP, 25, 60 or 50 Cycle, 3 Phase 220-440-550 Volt Motor Ball Bearing Type built in directly on Lower Wheel Shaft.
Motor is mounted right inside the frame of the machine. Motor is fully enclosed and dust proof.

CONTROL
1. “Square” ‘D’ type B536 Magnetic Type Automatic Starter, having overload and low voltage protection.
Square ‘D’ Push Button Station ‘Start’ and ‘Stop’.
Push Button Station placed convenient to operator’s position, everything properly wired to Motor with wires in flexible conduit and ready for connection to power line.

OTHER MODELS
We have furnished Band Saws for cutting a wide range of products including meat, aluminum, etc.
If you have a special Band Saw problem, we would appreciate helping you.

375701 375702

FLOOR SPACE
33” Belt Drive__ 57” x 48” (note the error in this line - that should read 30", not 33")
36” Belt Drive__ 60” x 48”
30” Motorized__ 57” x 38”
36” Motorized__ 60” x 38”

HEIGHT FROM FLOOR LINE
30” Belt Drive and Motorized__ 98”
36” Belt Drive and Motorized_ 101”

SHIPPING WEIGHT (Domestic)
30” Belt Driven_ 1875 lbs.
36” Belt Driven_ 1975 lbs.
30” Motorized__ 2250 lbs.
36” Motorized__ 2350 lbs.

SHIPPING WEIGHT (Foreign)
______________Net__ Tare_ Gross
30” Belt Driven_ 1875_ 600_ 2475
36” Belt Driven_ 1975_ 625_ 2600
30” Motorized__ 2250_ 600_ 2850
36” Motorized__ 2350_ 625_ 2975

CUBIC CONTENTS
30” and 36” Belt Driven_ Approx. 244 cu. ft.
30” and 36” Motorized__ Approx. 232 cu. ft.

STANDARD EQUIPMENT
All standard and necessary equipment is supplied with Machine, including 1½“ Band Saw Blade, brazed, set and filed ready to use. Ripping fence, Wrenches, Brazing Clamp and Tongs, Straining or Tension device and Alemite Grease Gun.

Cheers, Vann.

L.S.Barker1970
31st March 2016, 09:08 PM
Sensational write up Vann.
You are a real machinery enthusiast
The amount of research that you have done on your bandsaw is nothing short of amazing !!
My hats of to you sir !

Melbourne Matty

Vann
1st April 2016, 08:57 AM
Sensational write up Vann.
The amount of research that you have done on your bandsaw is nothing short of amazing !!Thanks Matty. Coming from you that's high praise.
It's not easy for me, being so anal http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/blush-anim-cl.gifhttp://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/rolleye.gif.

Cheers, Vann.

hiroller
1st April 2016, 11:08 PM
You are accruing a nice set of equipment Vann and writing it up nicely.
Any more and your place will have to be added to the local woodwork tour itinerary!

Vann
2nd April 2016, 12:23 PM
Wally? If I was going to give my bandsaw a name it would have to be 'Earnest'. Why Earnest? Because that's the telegraph code for ordering the 36" version of my saw (I haven't found the code for the 30" version).

"Okay - so where is Earnest?" you ask. "All this research is fine (whatever rocks your boat Vann) but what's happened to the saw? Has it gone to the scrappie?"

The saws been around a bit. It's been on a trailer...

It's been in storage...

It's been trucked..

Delivery didn't go smoothly. The previous piece of old iron to arrive struck problems as the truck couldn't fit down our driveway. So Plan 'A' was to load the bandsaw on to a mate's trailer and take it directly from the Workshops to my garage door. But my mate couldn't back his ute down our driveway and manoeuvre around the 180 degree bend. When his clutch started to smell very hot we abandoned the attempt and it spent the night is his driveway instead.

The next day it went into storage while I came up with Plan 'B'.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
2nd April 2016, 06:24 PM
That was 14th September last year, when it was paid for and removed from the Railway Workshops.

Plan 'B' came together, and six weeks later (25th October, 2015) it was moved by truck to my place.

375836 Lift off - at my letterbox.

It was laid down on a wooden cradle made of 4" x 4" wooden fenceposts. It was then rolled down the driveway on steel pipe rollers (using the car to restrain it).

Then slewed it around the bend...

...and up to the garage door.

I later used a block and tackle to haul it into the garage.

While it was on it's side I decided to re-paint the top half, which had been poorly painted grey at some time in the intervening years. So it stayed on it's side until I needed access to the lower side to complete stripping in preparation for repaint (in matt black).

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
21st June 2016, 12:50 PM
In early December last year I was able to do some more research into woodworking machines originally installed at the Hutt Railway Workshops. Unfortunately I couldn't locate any machine files, just an old leather-bound, hard cover index...I recently found time to do a little more research, and spent a bit more time with the old leather-bound index.

It appears that in the 1920s the Government railway shared it's orders for new machinery around a number of mostly British machinery builders, with woodworking machines from A Ransome, Thos Robinson, SA Woods, PB Yates; and even a Pickles, as well as Preston. But I was looking mostly for Preston (and Wadkin - of course).

The Pattern Shop had had a Preston Woodworking Machinery Co. line-driven Planer & Jointer (Hutt machine #1700; Preston #1188) from 1929, 'til it was removed (and replaced by a Wadkin) in April, 1943.

The only other reference to Preston that I could find, was a Preston Engineering Co. Pattern Band Saw, located in the Maintenance Shop (later known as the Wood Mill I believe). I assumed this was a different company. It was listed with serial number #2155 - and fitted with a Westinghouse Elec. Mfg. Co. motor #4718702.

Last night a penny dropped. Nowhere in any records I've seen, is there any mention of a serial number for my bandsaw - but while cleaning surface rust from the table I'd found one. What I did have however, was the make and serial number for the 3hp electric motor - Westinghouse Elect. & Mfg. Co. #4718701.

So at 1am, in my pyjamas, I wandered out to the garage and wiped the dust off a corner of my bandsaw. There is was, stamped in the top LH corner: SERIAL 2156. The twin http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/cool.gif.

Preston Woodworking Machinery Co. bandsaw #2155 was sold on 9th June, 1987, after the Wood Mill was closed, and after 58 years of use. I hope one day to find details of the sale - #2155 may be local. And maybe still in use?

Cheers, Vann.

hiroller
21st June 2016, 09:01 PM
The plot thickens.
Meanwhile, you'll now have to name your bandsaw Elvis!

clear out
21st June 2016, 09:25 PM
Oh my god Vann:oo:
Even or maybe because I've just had my a few red wines I feel I should get out to the workshop and part off that bit of hex and drill and tap it.:o
I could drop it from the sky on our way over to Northerrn North America early in August.:q:U
Mate, get your A over here to Oz and chase down the Wadkin Mechanical Woodworker the bureaucrats at Evereigh are hiding from me!:~
Or to to put it a little more rationally, soberly, great detective work.:2tsup:
H.

Vann
22nd June 2016, 08:31 AM
...you'll now have to name your bandsaw Elvis!Because it's left the building...? :U

Cheers, Vann.

hiroller
22nd June 2016, 04:53 PM
Elvis was also a twinless twin!

Vann
27th June 2016, 10:45 PM
Last picture I posted, was this one of the saw about to be hauled into the garage.

While it was on it's side I decided to re-paint the top half, which had been poorly painted grey at some time in the intervening years. So it stayed on it's side until I needed access to the lower side to complete stripping in preparation for repaint (in matt black).Over the intervening months I've slowly (s-l-o-w-l-y) been making progress, and today I moved the saw into what I hope is it's final position (I still need to level it), and I fitted the motor shelf back on.

386065 Still some painting to be completed on the main frame.

Next I'll have to pull the motor out of storage, temporarily wire it up (that's the temporary flex at the left of the photo), and test run the motor.

Getting to this stage has been a long haul (with too many other calls on my time). I've completely stripped the top half back to bare iron, and repainted in it's new livery of matt black and silver.

I've replaced the tired old rubber spring with new rubber.

386071 386067

The table tilt mechanism has be freed-up, de-rusted, painted/oiled as appropriate, and reassembled.

386072 386073

It's bed-time. Part 2 when I can.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
28th June 2016, 10:02 AM
Guide Bracket: The upper blade guide bracket assembly (including the original blade deflector) has been cleaned, painted, and reassembled.

The end of the arm and the clamping casting (for want of a better name) have whitemetal bearing surfaces where the guide bar slides up and down, and a brass 'slug' where the clamping screw engages the bar. Nice touch http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/cool.gif.

386114 386117 End of the arm (left) and clamping casting (right).

386116 Guide bar.

The bar itself is 1 5/16" square and 25" long - a significant weight even before hanging the upper guide off it. The saw would originally have been fitted with a counter-balance spring for the upper guide - but this was missing when I bought it. I may fit a weight on pulleys.

The guides are Chaco - made in Switzerland. I would guestimate these replaced the original guides in the 1970s or early 1980s. Chaco are still in existence, and I have ordered and received some replacement guide wear strips.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f27/preston-30-bandsaw-guides-200501

Electrics: The electricals were looking a bit sad when the saw arrived, with dirt, dust, paint splashes, and some surface rust in places. The isolating switch is MEM (Midland Electrical Manufacturing Ltd, UK). The contactor is Crabtree (also UK). I've stripped both boxes of electrical components and paint, blocked off any un-needed openings, and repainted in colours close to the originals. All the electrical components were cleaned (scrubbed if appropriate) before reassembly, and the silvered contacts in the contactor were cleaned using a fibreglass pen. I found and won another Crabtree contactor on Trademe, but whereas mine is rated 5 - 10amps (and set at 8.5amps), this one is only rated 1 - 2amps. Still, the contacts are interchangeable - should I burn one out http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/sad/cry.gif.

These electrics are not original to the saw. Crabtree were manufacturing that contactor in the 1950s. However MEM didn't introduce that model of isolating switch until late 1960s or early 1970s. So it appears that these were most likely fitted to this saw in the 1970s. The original starter was made by Westinghouse Electric & Mfg. Co. USA, according to records that came with the saw.

386122 386123 Before (left) and now (right)

386118 386121 386119

386120 September 1953 advertisement - from Grace's Guide.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
2nd July 2016, 10:36 PM
...and today I moved the saw into what I hope is it's final position (I still need to level it)...During the week I found time to cut some hardwood wedges and attempted to level the saw. I used a level on the table for level in the Y axis but, as it's a tilting table, I didn't trust it in the X axis - so I used the motor shelf instead. Fortunately (surprisingly) the motor shelf and table appear to be co-planar.

This morning I remembered something I read some time ago about setting up bandsaws, and hung a plumb-bob from the upper wheel...

to see where it would hang in relation to the lower wheel...

386503 386504 Just about spot-on in one direction, and 3mm out in the other - not bad I reckon.

I'm not sure that it matters if it's slightly out? Surely all that matters is that the blade is 90 degrees to the table?

Note that I finally managed to remove the (2" across flats) wheel nut from the lower wheel - after filing out a cheap spanner until it fitted. I'm still considering whether or not to attempt the remove the wheel in order to check the lubrication in the ball-bearing races.

I'm now contemplating drilling the floor of the garage and chem-setting some fixing bolts in place. Then I'd like to grout the saw (I've never tried that before - some googling may be required).

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
8th July 2016, 06:32 PM
Taking a step back, this is the motor shelf before I fitted it to the body of the bandsaw.

387020 Top face.

387019 Underside.

I could just lift it to fit it to the saw - it must weigh around 1.5 - 2 cwt.

On Tuesday I slid the motor over to beside the bandsaw and made preparations to lift it. I'd removed the end cover in the hope that I might see the bearing race. No joy, but it did help with removing the old oil. The cover itself had a bent flange and some surface rust. A bit of hammering and some paint has made it almost like new. The gasket was munted, so made a new one.

387021 387024

The motor itself still retains almost all it's paint (and some overspray :~) so no plans to repaint. I've drained the old oil from the motor bearings and cleaned the fittings. Unlike the grease cups on the bandsaw, and some recently acquired oilers, by Kingfisher (Leeds, UK), the motor oilers are made by Gits in Chicago, USA.

On Wednesday evening, with my son's help, we lifted the motor 2" at a time (packing with timber blocks) until it was high enough to slide it across on to the shelf. If I thought the shelf was heavy, the motor is heavier - I'd estimate 3 or 4 cwt.

387022 387028

It's not lined up yet, but here's a closer view of the drive arrangement.

And before I do line it up, I have to insert "the Octopus" (which appears to be a length of leather lineshaft belting, wound around the "prongs")

387025 387026 "The Octopus" bathing in neatsfoot oil.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
7th August 2016, 09:05 AM
One thing that's missing from my bandsaw is a little "D" handle mounted under the auxiliary table - as visible in these cattledog cuts.

389851 as fitted to saw with exposed wheels.

389854 as fitted to saw with enclosed bottom wheel.

I was trying to work out what it's function is/was. Maybe a tilting lock for the main table? I can see no sign of anything having ever been attached under my table (no threaded mounting points, nor similar).

389858 389859 2 photos (taken 12 & 10 months ago) showing the cut-out, but no "D" handle.

389857 underside of auxiliary table.

However, this morning Jack posted this picture in his Wadkin Band Saw Development thread, and the penny dropped.

389852 389853

The "D" handle is almost certainly the actuator handle to slip the belt between loose and fast pulleys, on the belt driven models. With mine being an early direct drive model, it's not surprising a handle was never fitted.
Mystery solved I reckon :doh:. Thanks Jack.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
9th August 2016, 11:11 AM
Electrics:...These electrics are not original to the saw. Crabtree were manufacturing that contactor in the 1950s. However MEM didn't introduce that model of isolating switch until late 1960s or early 1970s. So it appears that these were most likely fitted to this saw in the 1970s. The original starter was made by Westinghouse Electric & Mfg. Co. USA, according to records that came with the saw.

390083 390082 Before (left) and now (right)
I was recently advised of a picture taken inside the Pattern Shop in 1963. Today I tracked down a copy, from the Railways Bulletin Vol.12, No.1 1963, celebrating 2000 days injury free.

390081 courtesy of New Zealand Railway & Locomotive Society.

To the right of the picture is... my bandsaw !!.

Note that the electrical contactor and isolating switch are the replacement ones shown in the quote above. This means these were added prior to 1963 (and they look fairly new in the photograph).

I just love this research :2tsup:

Cheers, Vann.

hiroller
9th August 2016, 11:50 PM
Nice find. The bandsaw has probably outlasted the others in the photograph!

Vann
10th August 2016, 06:58 PM
The bandsaw has probably outlasted the others in the photograph!1963 to today = 53 years, so even a 15 year old apprentice would be 68 years old now.

As for the old foreman, Mr. SVM Evans, according to staff records he started in March or April 1926. Assuming he was 15 at the time, he'd be 106 years old now.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
10th August 2016, 07:14 PM
It's a landmark day today. My sparkie mate came today. He meggered the motor and checked out the wiring I'd done, then connected the wires to the motor. We moved the motor clear of the drive and started it up. It ran quietly (and the wrong way of course :doh:). He changed two wires and we ran the motor for a minute or two. I fitted the leather drive belt to the drive "prongs" and moved the motor into it's correct position. Then we started it again - driving only the lower wheel at this stage. It purrs.

It's great to have the motor running at last, after almost 12 months.

Now to finish all those little jobs, so I can put the blade back on and use it.

I've never posted a video clip before, I'll have to try it once the camera batteries have recharged.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
11th August 2016, 08:16 PM
My 11 year old daughter took these on her cellphone, and loaded them on YouTube (because her 60 year old father doesn't know how to :B)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBurYQNdU_s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVKqUR6vpms

Cheers, Vann.

Oldbikerider
11th August 2016, 09:03 PM
That is a seriously good sound!

Graham.

camoz
11th August 2016, 09:53 PM
Ah great work Vann, love the video, even if you did get your daughters to film and load it to YouTube :U

hiroller
13th August 2016, 11:30 AM
Congrats Vann, looks and sounds great!

Vann
16th August 2016, 02:21 PM
I had the day off work today. I took the opportunity to check out a potential problem with the coupling between motor and lower wheel shaft. I'd noticed there was some play in one of the "pronged" coupler halves.

I undid the two temporary bolts holding down the motor (the four original bolts have now been cleaned and painted), and slid the motor clear again.

391082 391084 391083 391085

I removed the two 5/8" grub screws and slid out the square key. Note the numbers stamped in the keyway "33024.." (first photo). I don't know what that's about? I tried to knock the coupler off the shaft, but it wasn't going to come off without a fight, so I cleaned the grub screws and reassembled everything. It seems tight on the shaft now, but I'll need to check it from time to time to ensure all is well.

391086 Note the pin in the belt clips - it was a 4" nail :B

The motor is now fixed down with it's original bolts.

I also have one of the grease cups off - there was too much rust on it.

391087 Apologies for the poor photo.

The grease cups are marked KINGFISHER - LEEDS - No.4. One more coat of paint on the pipework and it'll go back on (~ Thursday).

Tomorrow I'll try to find time to reassemble the lower blade guide.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
25th September 2016, 10:11 PM
386113 386116 Guide bar.

The bar itself is 1 5/16" square and 25" long - a significant weight even before hanging the upper guide off it. The saw would originally have been fitted with a counter-balance spring for the upper guide - but this was missing when I bought it. I may fit a weight on pulleys.I've reassembled the Chaco upper guide and it weighs in at 3.78kg (8lb 5oz). The guide bar I calculate at 6.23kg (13lb 12oz). Therefore the total weight to be lifted when increasing the height of the guide is 10.01kg (22lb 1oz).

I'm looking out for a 10kg counterweight.

I've also reassembled the lower Chaco guide. The thrust bearing doesn't turn freely (I've reassembled something wrong :B), but I've fitted it back on the saw anyway (I'll check it out later).

I've sorted out all the grease cups.

I put the blade back on, and started the saw...

https://youtu.be/8oLZ8mul9sY
(https://youtu.be/8oLZ8mul9sY)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8oLZ8mul9sY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> (https://youtu.be/8oLZ8mul9sY)

That upper wheel does not look round !!!

The exposed lower wheel scares the bejesus out of me :o - I'm now preparing the two cabinet doors for painting so I can fit them back on the saw. I love the exposed upper wheel - but there's a lot of exposed blade between the wheel and the guide that I'm not so keen on...

Cheers, Vann.

hiroller
26th September 2016, 01:22 AM
Well done. Must feel satisfying to get it going again.
Is it an issue of roundness or a sideways movement?

Vann
26th September 2016, 08:26 PM
Well done. Must feel satisfying to get it going again.
Is it an issue of roundness or a sideways movement?A bit of both. There's about 3mm of wobble (sideways movement) in the rim, and about 2mm out of round.

But, yes it is really satisfying to have it runable. Now to make it a little safer...

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
9th June 2017, 07:32 PM
...The only other reference to Preston that I could find, was a Preston Engineering Co. Pattern Band Saw, located in the Maintenance Shop (later known as the Wood Mill I believe). I assumed this was a different company. It was listed with serial number #2155 - and fitted with a Westinghouse Elec. Mfg. Co. motor #4718702.

Last night a penny dropped. Nowhere in any records I've seen, is there any mention of a serial number for my bandsaw - but while cleaning surface rust from the table I'd found one. What I did have however, was the make and serial number for the 3hp electric motor - Westinghouse Elect. & Mfg. Co. #4718701.

So at 1am, in my pyjamas, I wandered out to the garage and wiped the dust off a corner of my bandsaw. There is was, stamped in the top LH corner: SERIAL 2156. The twin http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/cool.gif...I was doing some research on Wadkin buzzers and went to New Zealand's National Archives here in Wellington to look at old railway files.

In 1925 tenders were requested for the supply of much new machinery for the re-equipping of the four main railway workshops. Tenders closed on 15th February 1926, and summary of winning tenders was published in July, 1926. Preston Woodworking Machinery Co. Ltd. won several tenders for woodworking machines.

From a summary of all new machinery supplied, dated 17th September, 1930, these are the machines supplied by Preston:

Four 36" bandsaws - spec. 86
- 1 to Auckland (nearest port to Otahuhu workshops) – value £162 12s 5d;
- 1 to Wellington (nearest port to Hutt workshops) – value £161 5s 8d;
- 1 to Lyttleton (nearest port to Addington workshops) – value £162 12s 5d;
- 1 to Port Chalmers (nearest port to Hillside workshops) – value £161 5s 8d.

One 30" bandsaw - spec. 87.
- to Wellington (nearest port to Hutt workshops) – value £112 5s 8d.

One 30" bandsaw "Pattern Making" - spec. 88. (mine)
- to Wellington (nearest port to Hutt workshops) – value £112 5s 8d.

Two "Moulders Double Spindle, Circular" - spec. 85.
- 1 to Auckland (nearest port to Otahuhu workshops) – value £320 13s 7d;
- 1 to Lyttleton (nearest port to Addington workshops) – value £320 13s 7d;

Ten "Machines planing & jointing" - spec. 247.
- 4 to Auckland (nearest port to Otahuhu workshops) – value £417 17s 4d;
- 1 to Wellington (nearest port to Hutt workshops) – value £104 9s 4d;
- 4 to Lyttleton (nearest port to Addington workshops) – value £417 17s 4d;
- 3 to Port Chalmers (nearest port to Hillside workshops) – value £104 9s 4d.

413827 413828

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
5th July 2017, 06:44 PM
I haven't posted any progress on the bandsaw for nearly a year. So here goes:

...The exposed lower wheel scares the bejesus out of me :o - I'm now preparing the two cabinet doors for painting so I can fit them back on the saw...
The bottom doors have been on for some time now - but don't latch properly. At least they'll protect the crown jewels in the event of a blade breaking.

I've been collecting metal conduit fittings over the months, and now have enough to attempt permanent electrical wiring. I was going to run 5/8" conduit from the on/off switch box to the motor terminal box (4 wires - 3phases & earth). But I'm not really happy with the power cord coming out the front of the machine - I can see I'll often tread on it. I really want to move the cord to the rear - but that would mean 7 wires in part of the conduit (2 of each phase & a common earth). I found I have enough 3/4" BS Conduit fittings so I ordered a length of 3/4" tube. I have BS Conduit dies, but I'd need a 3/4" BS Conduit tap to complete the job. I found one on ePay in Oz and it arrived last week.

So I started cutting steel.

415730 Switchgear, top left; power supply, top right; motor, bottom right.

Then drilled and tapped the main casting to mount saddles.

415731 415732 Both horizontal tubes are temporary for now.

That's all for now. Next time I get time on the machine I'll try to mount the new motor terminal box and connect up that part of the conduit permanently.

When I get to the switchgear boxes I'll need some locking nuts on the conduit (I haven't managed to score any in 3/4"). I'm not set up for metalworking (even though it was a large component of my trade) and dislike metalworking without all the facilities. However, needs must.

I found a piece of 3mm plate in the rathole and marked up three nuts (I'll need 7 all up), drilled pilot holes, and bored them to 11/16" (correct size for taping 3/4" BS conduit) on my old trusty Silver No.22 post drill. No sweat (actually a bit of sweat, but not too much :B).

415733 415734 Auscab: if you're reading this, please note the shaft to the right of the post drill.

Tapped a thread or two...

...hacksawed and filed...

...until I'd completed one. Yup, that'll work. But the others will have to wait for another day.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
17th July 2017, 09:09 AM
...Next time I get time on the machine I'll try to mount the new motor terminal box and connect up that part of the conduit permanently...

416523 "New" terminal box ("peckerhead" in USA) fitted. The thread in the bottom of the box is 3/4" BS Conduit - so it's not that "new".

416524 416525 Conduit permanently fitted (just the one length mind) and wires run.

I've since reconnected the wiring as my wife has a job I have to do this week, that will require the bandsaw. The rest of the conduit will need to wait until I can have the bandsaw out of use for a few weeks if necessary (still making up parts meanwhile).

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
6th September 2017, 12:27 PM
419690 Both horizontal tubes are temporary for now.

The horizontal tube to the left needed a bend. I don't have a pipe bender, and no longer have access to one at work. Either I'd have to pay an engineering firm to bend it, or...

I decided I could bend it myself. I made up a jig out of MDF, but I wasn't prepared to attempt it cold. I needed a day where SWMBO was a work, but I wasn't (I'm a shift worker). Where the weather was dry, but cold, as I wanted to heat the conduit in the woodfire (in the lounge :q) then bend it in the jig out on the deck.

The planets aligned on Monday, and I successfully put a bend in the conduit.

But when I offered it up to the machine, I'd put the bend in the wrong place - and the long leg is too short :C:doh::B.

So today I had another go (it's not cold today, but everything else was as required).

This one is better. The fire got the conduit a low red hot, but in the 10-15 seconds required to get it out the door the red was no longer visible. I'd filled the bore with dry sand, but there was still some flattening of the tube. I reheated the tube and hammered most of the flattening out.

Oh - and I didn't burn the house down :no:.

Now to cut to exact length, cut conduit threads, prime, paint - and then assemble.

Cheers, Vann.

Oldbikerider
6th September 2017, 07:41 PM
Oh - and I didn't burn the house down :no:.

Well done! That's all that matters in the end. Everything else is just trivial detail.

Graham.

Vann
8th October 2017, 04:29 PM
About two weeks ago I assembled the conduit.

421676 Bent conduit section fitted.

421677 Elbow and vertical section fitted.

421678 421679 Wires run and contactor mechanism re-installed.

421680 Wiring complete and saw up and running again.

While I had the contactor cover off, I had my daughter pick out the "START" and "STOP" lettering in black (she has better eyes than mine).

I was going to move the cord to the rear of the machine, but... Although the machine is on a plug, and therefore doesn't actually need an isolating switch onboard, I am reluctant to run the incoming wires through the contactor to get to the isolating switch. Incoming wiring should, I believe, always go first to the isolating switch, THEN to the next electrical component. This would have required an extra bend in the conduit, or I would have to move the isolating switch further to the right. All this is just a step too far at this time.

Instead, I've had an additional outlet fitted between the bandsaw and the Wadkin lathe. Just awaiting it to be connected at the fusebox. Then I can run the flex to the back of the machine, out of the way of passing feet.

421681 I used grey conduit as IMHO bright orange conduit just doesn't look right around vintage machines.

The wiring isn't quite finished. I fitted a new terminal box on the motor some months back.

It's all wired in now - but the box had been a switch box, and has a round hole in the lid - and I still haven't got around to plugging the hole and painting the lid :roll:.

Cheers, Vann.

ab01ns
2nd December 2017, 08:07 AM
Hello everyone. First post here, Vann referred me from the CWW forum. I have just acquired a Preston 132. A much later one, but still. Also, those catalog cuts upthread are wonderful, thank you for finding them Vann. My preston is identical to the catalog cuts.

Here are some pics of my saw. Can't wait to get it into my shop!

Vann
2nd December 2017, 08:25 AM
Seeing as I'm the one guilty of introducing you to WWF, let me be the first to say welcome.

There's not as much traffic here in the old iron section as you'd find back on the Canadian forum, but there's a lot more traffic in other sections here.

Anyways, I'm hoping you'll start a thread on your machine once it arrives and you begin stripping it down (either here or there).

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
22nd December 2017, 03:39 PM
...The wiring isn't quite finished. I fitted a new terminal box on the motor some months back.

It's all wired in now - but the box had been a switch box, and has a round hole in the lid - and I still haven't got around to plugging the hole and painting the lid :roll:.

Last month I used a hole saw to cut a circle of aluminium, which I epoxied into the hole (it was already a tight fit). A bit of bondi (bondo), etch primer and two finish coats, and it was ready to go on.

But where the heck did I put the four screws? Were there any screws? BA screws are hard to find.

So I've been keeping an eye out for stray machine screws for a month. Finally yesterday I measured the one screw I'd found that fitted - intending to order BA screws from UK if necessary. Well the damned thing turns out to have 5/32" BSW threads :doh:. I bought a packet of six screws this morning from M10, cut them to length, and another job is done (phew).

Cheers, Vann.

CBaulds
27th April 2022, 01:10 PM
Hi Vann,

I was wondering how this bandsaw is going? Do you have it up and running? I'm particularly interested in how the tilt adjustment for the top wheel is performing? You said in another post that there is no locking mechanism, has that been an issue?

Cheers,
Cam

Vann
27th April 2022, 01:58 PM
Hi Cam.

The saw is up and running, and gets used from time to time (I was a weekend woodworker until I retired last December). There are still a few jobs to be done: finish the blade guard above the upper guide; fix the catch on the bottom cabinet doors so they latch closed; cover the motor so it doesn't get covered in sawdust.

And there's the problem with the upper wheel.

...There's about 3mm of wobble (sideways movement) in the rim, and about 2mm out of round...

The upper wheel has steel spokes with thread and a nut at the inner end. That (apparently) allows for adjustment, but I haven't yet tried to see if that will cure the problem.

...I'm particularly interested in how the tilt adjustment for the top wheel is performing? You said in another post that there is no locking mechanism, has that been an issue?

I've not had any problems with blade tracking. In the above photo you can see the adjustment lever in the horizontal position (defying gravity) - I just moved it to there and it stays there (IIRC I moved it there to get the blade to track in the middle of the wheel instead of the leading edge).

Cheers, Vann.

CBaulds
27th April 2022, 02:43 PM
Hi Vann,

I am glad to hear you have the saw up and running, sounds like it is performing well. I imagine you will be able to adjust the wheel shape by tensioning the spokes in an analogous way to a bicycle wheel (but probably don't need to).

Thanks,
Cam