PDA

View Full Version : Need Wood Veneers

Creativeguys
19th September 2015, 02:42 PM
Hey everyone.

I'm looking to find a good supplier to purchase wood veneers for my woodworking crafts. I need the pieces to be 2mm - 5mm thick and bigger than 100mm x 200mm in length and width. Their natural colour is the thing that I'm looking for, I'll cut them in pieces by coping saw based on my photo, design or pattern and will put them together to make a whole piece by wood. I've looked up web to find an store in Adelaide as I live here but couldn't find the complete information. if anyone can help, I would be very very thankful :)

Dengue
21st September 2015, 12:09 AM
A couple of options spring to mind:

1. Get some good face 0.7mm thick veneers and some plain backing veneers and glue them together to get the required thickness.

2. Find someone with a good bandsaw ( Men's shed?) and resaw your own veneers to the required thickness from your own timber.

I've not come across anyone that supplies veneers in the thickness you want

Xanthorrhoeas
16th October 2015, 08:05 PM
Rarely, but sometimes, wood suppliers on these forums do offer these sort of thicknesses for sale. Also, some of the forums' sellers would probably be happy to slice some for you (for a price of course, but they tend to be very reasonable). In the past year I have purchased some Tasmanian timber veneers in the forums marketplace from TasSculptor, and not long before that TGCreations had some stunning (Aus?) Cedar veneers at 3 mm and slices 6 mm thick too. You could try contacting them via a PM to see if they have anything - or would slice you some. Search the forums for their personal message address.

Overall, Dengue's advice is the best - buy solid timber (look for woodies prices on the forums or go to the full-price commercial suppliers) and cut your own with a bandsaw. I cut my own veneers for antique restoration so need the thicker stuff too. Most decent bandsaws can be tuned to cut what what you need. If you are doing a lot of it you could even purchase a bandsaw. They often come up second hand on the marketplace here.

If you are buying on the forums check how seasoned (%wter content) the wood is. Many sellers list timber that has a while to go before it is dry enough to be stable. That is fine if you have the time to wait. Otherwise, the commercial suppliers should provide properly dry timber.

Robson Valley
20th October 2015, 06:53 AM
What do Australian luthiers, guitar-builders, do with the second-rate wood that they cut? Poor sides and tops might be another source. Don't know where they get it but a wood store in the city has bins and barrels of rosewood(?) and mahogany, some of it 20cm x 90cm and 2-4mm thick, very nicely sanded, too.

Mobyturns
20th October 2015, 07:49 AM
There was a guy up around Gympie way who specialized in thin wood for box makers etc. No idea if they are still operating but they are still listed in White Pages.

J & C Thin Timber Supplies
17 Van Doren Rd
Southside QLD 4570
(07) 5482 8561