PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a lathe

springwater
19th September 2015, 08:20 PM
I'm looking to purchase a small lathe to unable me to do what I think is called spindle work. Just something simple and reliable, 450mm between centres would do.

Danger Mouse
21st September 2015, 11:48 PM
Before I managed to find the elusive good second hand lathe that everyone suggests beginners wait out for my research had lead me to the woodfast m305 lathe - might be worth looking at?

hughie
22nd September 2015, 12:57 AM
Before I managed to find the elusive good second hand lathe that everyone suggests beginners wait out for my research had lead me to the woodfast m305 lathe - might be worth looking at?

Sure, why not? It meets the budget so go for it.

TrickinWood
22nd September 2015, 11:50 AM
I recently bought the Woodfast 305 as a new turner and coulnt be happier. The only issue is its 420mm between centres. If you want to go longer, look at the extension bed for it, and you wont be sorry.

its a great little lathe and does most things. 12" swing over the bed.

springwater
24th September 2015, 06:20 PM
Thanks for your advice fellas. Coincidently the Woodfast 305 had been recommended to me before. Unfortunately just a little short between centres at 406mm but as you say with the extension bed she'll be apples. I see it's more expensive variable speed cousin has 500mm between centres which I don't get but its out of my price range anyway. With a sharpening system, tools and PPE to get I won't be getting too much change from $1200 the way I see it but hope to be able to pay for it from what I intend to make, at least I've a ready supply of wood.