PDA

View Full Version : Variable Speed Lathe Interrupts Internet Connection

BCC
21st September 2015, 11:05 AM
Hi,

I posted this recently in the Wood Turning section and it was suggested that I also post here.

I have a Cougar 400 EVS lathe which is all very nice however, it has become apparent that when I run the lathe, the ADSL2 connection to the internet is disconnected. I know it causes strong interference with the AM radio but this new discovery surprised me. Have others experienced such a thing and is there a work around?

I have since tested things a bit more and found that the internet connection is momentarily cut when I start the lathe (just like turning the power off to the modem) but it then restores the connection in the next minute even though the lathe is still running. Both WiFi and internet cable services are effected. I have tried using a surge protector at the lathe end and then at the modem end but this has not helped. The surge protector is a Belkin BV104020au2M but I don't know if this is a low quality one or not. Pardon my ignorance but is this the same thing as an "interference suppression power board" as suggested on the other forum? The modem is a TP-Link N600.

The lathe is at the other end of the house (18m away) from the modem but I'm unsure if they are on a different circuit or not.

Thanks,
Bruce

Big Shed
21st September 2015, 12:39 PM
Answers here please:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=198619