PDA

View Full Version : cnc software

mat_au
21st September 2015, 04:55 PM
So im just waiting on a few things to come to finish of my cnc, so now the topic of software. been looking and there are so many different thinks out there from Mach 3 to Vcarve (i must say i do like but not the price tag - esp in aussie dollars)

so just thought id ask what every one uses and why :D

pippin88
21st September 2015, 06:17 PM
I use LinuxCNC as my machine controller. It's free.

You'll need CAD (design) and CAM (toolpaths, input design and output gcode).

Vectric have quite well priced products. Cut3D etc

pippin88
21st September 2015, 06:18 PM
Fusion 360 is free for hobbyists and is being developed and improved at a fast rate.

arose62
21st September 2015, 08:33 PM
LinuxCNC and CamBam

DavidG
21st September 2015, 10:47 PM
Mach3, because it was all I could afford and the hardware had a Mach3 driver.
Free ones where not known.

trentster
16th December 2015, 05:33 PM
I use LinuxCNC and primarily Autocad Fusion 360 for all CAD stuff.

It's awesome and free for hobbyists - the training and tutorial resources for Fusion are magnificent and I would recommend you hone your skills and learn how to design and accurately dimension within Fusion 360. The CAM in Fusion is also very good, but I mainly use it for machining aluminium. For working with wood I normally export dxf's out of Fusion and import into Vectric for wood related CAM, Vcarving or 3D toolpathing. I would also recommend learning LinuxCNC vs Mach 3.

In my opinion LinuxCNC is simply better, more capable, customizable and stable. This is why Tormach USA now use LinuxCNC customized (Pathpilot) bundled with al their machines and no longer use Mach 3. The learning curve with both LinuxCNC and Fusion 360 is pretty steep at the outset - but will reap many rewards in the long term if you have the staying power to learn them.

Forget about using GRBL (Arduino) - altho it's an amazingly capable controller for $5 its not really suited to serious CNC stuff and the fine-grained real time control you need for serious stuff.

rusel
19th December 2015, 10:43 AM
we use linux, i say it very good as my son set it up, for cad there is now onshape a free in the cloud cad program i us it it is very good. you still need something to do the cam, at the moment i use rhinocam. it good for complex shapes but with much practice.
there my 2 cents worth...