PDA

View Full Version : Private lathe lessons, north of the river perth

Pratty
24th September 2015, 12:44 AM
Gents, and ladies of course before i get into trouble, :-)

As an avid hobby woodworker, i am in the process of buying a new lathe for myself, budget is always a issue , i have basically killed my old one, was second hand a long long time ago but now feel its time to retire it and move up.

As this is a hobby only i cant justify spending thousands on a machine so after much research and deliberation, i have settled on the carbatec MC100A model, the guys in balcatta carbatec have been very helpful plus i would like to start to use the chuck accessories tecknatool nova etc , i have looked at the wood turners assocaition club to join but unfortunatly i work away a lot and the dates never corrospond to when im home to go see them.

I am basically a very novice turner and really need to be shown better skills and training on the lathe, as people say, once you get into it, its addictive and im definately hooked on it and also the use of chucks as the use of them seems to me to be brilliant pieces of kit.

Would anybody living near my area be prepared to come to my workshop at my place and perhaps help to train me in the finer arts of wood turning, plenty of tea and coffee on hand and lunch provided lol, cant work on a empty stomach.

I have built a rather larger than normal workshop in my back yard so space isnt a issue as i slowly get it set up and of course, any contributions to set up are more than welcome for ideas, i would even offer to pay a retired gent/ladie a nominal sum to cover fuel costs etc if so desired just for experience and skill they can show me, im a very hands on person, show me once, twice if need be and im off, im a self taught woodworker, amazing what you can learn by reading and watching other people work .

Appreciate any help or comments , cheers, pratty.

Subnote- after reading old posts from people asking the same question basically, it seems im pushing the old proverbal up hill, never mind, thought i would put the question out there in the hope and you never know, as they say, keep practising and you will get better , thanks all for reading anyway.

BlackbuttWA
24th September 2015, 12:10 PM
G'day Pratty,
Can I suggest you go to the WAWA website,(http://www.woodturnerswa.com/ ) look through the groups. find one in your area & contact them for suggestions. Also you could contact them & place an advert in the Newsletter.
You do not have to attend every meeting. We have members (FIFO) who turn up when they can.

HTH
Col

issatree
24th September 2015, 12:42 PM
Hi Pratty,

There are 2 Men's Sheds in the Perth Area.
Just Google Men's Sheds, Perth, & it should come up.

Pratty
24th September 2015, 09:35 PM
Thanks Col, i will look into that tonight, cheers.

Willy Nelson
25th September 2015, 12:22 PM
I always recommend joining a club, I am in WAWA, at Wandi an awesome club.
Courses are also run at the Dwellingup Forest heritage Centre, but I have an interest there as I teach woodturning and burl holllowing, when my back is better
Chers
Willy