PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Upgrade Options

smidsy
31st July 2005, 09:52 PM
Hei Guys,
Starting a new job soon and a lathe upgrade is a definate possibility.
As much as I would like one, Vicmarc is simply beyond my means, Carbatec and others have the "deluxe" lathe but if I could spend $2600 I would find the last $700 for a Vicmarc.

Seems to me that the MSL-3815 with electronic variable speed for $1k is the next step up from the MC's.
Anyone here use this lathe and able to offer some feedback on the beast.

Anyone know of any other options for lathes around $1000 to $1500 - minimum specs would need to be approx 1 metre between centres, at least 350mm swing and 1.5hp motor.

Cheers
Paul

gatiep
1st August 2005, 01:14 AM
Paul,
Please fill me in on the sudden change of heart on the MSL 3815. Last time you posted you said that it couldn't do anymore really than the MC-900. Have you done some investigation since then. I would like your views on the upgrade and the reasons you want to upgrade.
This is purely my personal curiosity as you were a devoted MC-900 supporter.
Thanks mate

Ian007
1st August 2005, 01:24 AM
Hei Guys,
Starting a new job soon and a lathe upgrade is a definate possibility.
As much as I would like one, Vicmarc is simply beyond my means, Carbatec and others have the "deluxe" lathe but if I could spend $2600 I would find the last $700 for a Vicmarc.

Seems to me that the MSL-3815 with electronic variable speed for $1k is the next step up from the MC's.
Anyone here use this lathe and able to offer some feedback on the beast.

Anyone know of any other options for lathes around $1000 to $1500 - minimum specs would need to be approx 1 metre between centres, at least 350mm swing and 1.5hp motor.

Cheers
Paul

I paid for one of these the other day at the wood show $940, Mik are going to deliver it this week for me so I will post when i have had a chance to play with it.

I couldnt justify the extra thousands of dollars for the teknatool unit, and hate changing belts every time you want to change the speed so this was it for me.

Ian :)

smidsy
1st August 2005, 01:12 PM
Hei Joe,
I am still a devoted MC900 fan, and yes I did post way back that I didn't see this lathe as much of an upgrade.
However the beauty of this forum is that we can learn from each other and change our opinions.

The MC is still a great lathe and I will continue to recommend it, but I have timber that is beyond the capabilities of the MC's. I haven't been to Liddlelow for about 6 months and don't see myself getting there in the next 6 months so I either give this timber to the neighbour for his fire or acquire the means to turn it at home.

I would love a Vicmarc, but I would want one with at least the same swing and length of the MC but $3300 for the 175 is simply beyond my means.

For me the main advantages of the 3815 compared to the MC is a much larger motor and a more solid bed. You also get an 75mm swing and an extra 50mm between centres, but the length is fine for me and a swivel head means that the swing is not overly important - for me the main advantage is the motor, the bed and the electronic speed control.

The one down side I can see with the 3815 is that it comes with a "light pressed steel stand" which means I would need to build a stand straight away but that is a minor problem.

Cheers
Paul

rsser
1st August 2005, 04:31 PM
If the unit is the one I think it is, it's been around now for what, almost 2 years?

Failing sage advice from the forum, I'd be talking to Timbecon (and Carba-tec?) to see how many had been returned under warranty and for what reason.

We know the Taiwanese and Chinese can do reasonable mechanicals, so the question is can they do reasonable lathe electronics?

My sparkie reckoned the electronic speed control (made in Finland I think) on the Vicmarc 175 would have been worth about a third of the lathe price (c. $900 about 3 years ago - it was bought without the stand).

Edit PS .. I always remember the Bamix adage: the sweetness of low price is long outweighed by the bitterness of poor quality. (Sure, the quality is the question).

smidsy
1st August 2005, 07:19 PM
Hei Ern,
I know how good the Vicmarc is and if I could find the cash I would have one in an instant. I'm hoping all going well to have to buy an engagement ring in about 3 months so not only do I have to allow finances for that, I have to get what I can while I can in the way of tools. The gf loves the pens and bowls I make her but doesn't see how a $3k lathe can be any different to a $400 lathe.

The way I look at it, the shaft and bed are the important parts. I would hope not to have to, but it's easy to throw a motor and electronics at a good stable bed if need be.

Attached is a pic of the beast FYI.

Cheers
Paul

Ian007
1st August 2005, 09:02 PM
Well the guys from Mik delivered mine this arvo, got home from work and they had just finished putting it in the shed for me,fully assembled for me too, cant beat that for customer service :).

Have only had a 10 min window in which to play with it at the moment.
did note that the motor still turns no matter what i do with the lock on it. this might be user error as i havent read the book yet, will have a read after i get the wife from the airport tonight.

the vs speed control works ok, turn it on and the dial powers up with a zero reading ( no revs) you then turn the speed dial up and it starts around the 400 revs and goes up to around the 2200 rev range. I put a bit of 90x90 Pine about 500mm long in it I deliberately set it off centre to see how it would spin. no probs no vibration, around the 400 rev mark, turned it down a bit but still not round, revs to around the 2000 rev range bit of vibration but not as much as i would have thought there should be. :)

So far so good other than the manuel with it, looked like a photo copy of a photo copy of a photo copy :(

Will post more when I've had a bit more of a play

Cheers Ian :)

HiString
2nd August 2005, 02:25 AM
It may not be what you want/need, but if I had had the spare dollars I would have been talking to Carroll's in Geelong about the Teknatool Nova 3000 with their (Carroll's) optional 1hp variable speed, constant torque motor. As it was, thanks to a "heads up" on this BBS I picked up a Nova 3000 off Ebay for $715 with a 1.5hp motor and for that price I'm happy to do without variable speed for a while.

:cool:

gatiep
2nd August 2005, 02:58 AM
Paul,

Thanks for that. As you know I'm always interested in what other turners think of gear, why they make a choice or why they change their mind.

I asked t6he "Boys in Blue in Balcatta" today about problems with the MSL-3815. They had problems with one....the readout went ape and it was caused by a loose sensor. They have sold a fair few, some to schools as well and the general consensus would be that the owners are happy with their purchases.Although the motor on these lathes are high performance motors, at least they are not a totally integral part of the lathe like the ones where the motor shaft is the lathe spindle and my guess would be that they would be cheaper to replace than the other.

One of my ex students bought one and he overcame the light stand by cladding it with MDF, turning it into a cupboard type stand with shelves and doors which made it as solid as a brick....house.He gave me a hardcopy picture which I unfortunately misplaced. I'll post it on here if I find it.

Good luck with the lathe buying and I hope that the gf will be happy with a brass ferrule as an engagement ring, which will leave more of the good stuff for buying tools! I'm sure she'll be happy if the Shellawax and the $3500 lathe make the pens shine more, so bite the bullit.............No Paul, you're confused....I meant bite the bullit and get the lathe, not bite the bullit and get married!
:D

Ian007
3rd August 2005, 01:07 AM
I posted this in another post but regardless.

I got the MSL-3815 with electronic variable speed
well Tonight i got a chance to play some more, and i was right about the head wouldnt lock so as usual I pulled it apart to see if it was an easy fix, before having the hassle of taking it back.

The locking Rod which has a cam in the middle which lifts an eye bolt with washers underneath to lock it up.
The internal end of the rod was not in its support hole, so i had a go at refitting rod but after Two lock/unlocks it fell out again.

Also get a fair bit of vibration around the 1800 rev mark, I ran it up when open to looksee and it would seem that theres a sleeve over the pulley end of the drive shaft which is out of balance.

back it goes

Cheers Ian :)

smidsy
3rd August 2005, 01:40 AM
Hei Ian,
Bumma that you're having problems with the new toy, let us know how you get on with it.
Cheers
Paul

Alastair
3rd August 2005, 01:29 PM
smidsy

Been waiting for the chance!

"Do a search on....."

About a year ago I was also shopping, and there were a number of threads on the subject. I was unable to justify the $2600 + for the basic Vic, and had severe misgivings about the integral variable drive on the top Nova, so ended up buying the Nova 3000. Was able to get it with chuck, and bed extension for ~$1500, but I believe that there was a significant price increase imminent, so who knows.

Among other things, (aside from budget) considered were:

Had never used variable, and upgrading from a 4-speed oldie, so not a major concern

Concerned about torque loss at low speeds, (other than Nova system)

Wanted the extra bed length

One of my TAFE teachers was a trade turner, who had been thrashing 3 of them for 8 years without problems

Experience to date.

One ongoing problem, (which I still need to take up with supplier) Drive pulley tends to work loose on key, resulting in horrible sounding resonance, unless belt tension is reduced to minimum levels, and requiring weekly retightening. While this sounds bad, it has not really affected me, as in fact I don't mind being in the position of suffering belt slip under overload or dig-in conditions, as it keeps me honest. Will get round to it .......

Don't miss the variable I never had. With 8 speeds down to 180, I have had no problems. Initially the belt change was fiddly, but once the fingers learnt the drill, it only takes 5-7 secs.

Have swung up to 50cm (`25kg) lump of wet willow log off the pivoted head w/o problems. Also 1100 mm uprights for a headboard in spindle mode.
If variable becomes essential to me, an aftermarket FC will do the job. With the belt speed , the loss in torque issue can be compensated for.

Things that irritate.

Switch is in a dangerous position behind headstock. Will add a second switch at tailstock when I get to it, and leave exixting as an isolator.

No handwheel on headstock, and cant make one. Have to buy the special Nova one

Repeatedly leave spindle lock engaged, as not obvious, (but that's my bad technique)

Headstock indexing in 0 deg position is a bit loose. Not a problem using faceplate or normal spindle turning, but if using tailstock support, need to take a few seconds to manually ensure fully lined up.

The only other thing is not enough shed time!!!

my 2 bits anyway

Ian007
4th August 2005, 10:35 PM
Hei Ian,
Bumma that you're having problems with the new toy, let us know how you get on with it.
Cheers
Paul

Rang Mik the other day re lathe, they rang carbatec and got back to me within 5 minutes, new head on the way from Brisbane.

there is a spacer between the pulley and a bearing which is out of balance by .5mm, everything else seems to be quite good tolerances so this is all i can see that is causing the vibration.