PDA

View Full Version : Danckaert bandsaw

dennisk
6th October 2015, 02:07 PM
I managed to get this bandsaw this past winter, with a bunch of other tools as well, they might show up here sometime. Henry stopped in to see me the other day and we had a good chat, and so I thought i would send some pics along.there doesnt seem to be much info on Danckaert maachines, this one only has the raised letters in the casting. Here goes with the bandsaw. My son and I took it apart, cleaned up all the hubs, gave it a wash with thinner, sanded and painted it, and put it back together. I made up a bracket for VFD and my buddy wired it up. I built the new guards out of oak, using rare earth magnets to hold the doors closed. Comment welcome, and enjoyed meeting you, Henry.361004361005361006361007361008

Allison74
6th October 2015, 06:44 PM
Wow!!
Very nice, we get some Danckaert machines around here at times but thats a really nice job you've done.
You have managed to maintain its character without getting carried away "tarting" her up.
Though I think dust collection will be in the shovel and bucket mode.

Have fun,
Alli

clear out
6th October 2015, 08:39 PM
Hi Dennis,
Thanks I enjoyed checking out your shop and gear.
Did you get up to the wood turners meet with Doug and Andrew?
I had a great visit to Andrews shop with Doug last Wednesday evening.
Andrew has a few auto lathes and a multi spindle sander.
Amazingly young guy and a must visit like yourself for next year.
Doug is also very interesting, he was just back from the border where he was showing a mate micro archeology and they fond a few sharks teeth and skeletons about 75 million years old.
He also brought a few napping samples of arrowheads he'd done in obsidian.
I guess you saw the neat bandsaw of Andrews I posted on the Candian wood forum.
He may be interested in your Wadkin JTA disc and bobbin.
Bit of a shock coming back to Oz it was 3 degrees on Saturday in Red Deer and on landing in Sydney on Monday it was about 36!
Post your query re the shaper cutters on here or PM Matty there's some clever dudes on here.
H.

auscab
6th October 2015, 09:13 PM
Nice job on the saw Dennis ! great looking machine .
Band saws look great without the wheels all guarded in , I wonder how bad it could get if a blade broke though. you would need a switch on the other side of the room behind you , if you hear it go bang , jump in that direction :D

The bottom wheel set up with the Y shaped casting , unusual, looks good ,have you any idea of the advantage of building it that way? A picture from the other side of that would be interesting if you have one. Thanks for showing .

Rob

Cold Guy
8th October 2015, 12:48 PM
Hello Henry. Enjoyed your visit as always. Dennis came over for dinner last night and we headed to the woodturner's meeting. Andrew didn't make it as he was in the Eastern States so I imagine he went to get that production lathe that was offered to him. Picked up a little bandsaw for myself on Saturday in Calgary. A 1958 Poitras 24". $300.00 and came with 12 blades, 8 of which brand new. Pretty much bought the blades and had the saw thrown in for free. All the best. Doug

woodlogic
8th October 2015, 02:04 PM
That's a lovely bandsaw, Dennis. I was intrigued about your use of the rare earth magnets for the coverings. I think it's a sin to drill holes into vintage cast iron machinery to retro fit an add-on component. Indeed a unique way of avoiding any permanent damage to the bandsaw with the magnets. Although I am curious, what weight do you think the magnets can carry, and is there any sliding or movement of the magnets? How do they hold up with the vibration of the saw operating?

Raymond.

dennisk
10th October 2015, 12:49 PM
thanks to all for comments, I love the saw and its character and heft. To Alli, it did throw dust everywhere, but I made up this little box that I hook up to my Fein vacuum and problem solved.
To Rob, here is a view of the driven side.361323361324361325
To Raymond, there were holes and tabs where i could mount the bigger of the 2 guards, and the smaller one I fabbed up some brackets and got a buddy to weld them up for me. I use the magnets to hold the doors of the guards closed, simple and clean.I dont really want to guard the wheels, and Im the only guy who uses it. Dont stick your feed or hands in there,simple.
To Henry, as soon as you left, the weather warmed up. Its been glorious, who know for how long . Some pics as well. As one of the guys on OWWN put it, "that bandsaw looks hell for stout". I would have been belt driven at one time and I have removed the belt guard for the pics, thx again for the interest and anyone who has any info on Danckaert,please yell. I haeve 4 more pieces of Danckaert and 3 are keepers. 361322

camoz
12th October 2015, 12:56 PM
anyone who has any info on Danckaert,please yell. I haeve 4 more pieces of Danckaert and 3 are keepers.

Hi Dennis,

Glad Henry got a chance to have a look around your workshop. I've got some dirty papers on Danckaert (not a lot), but as I have said before, nothing on that particular bandsaw unfortunately. Can't remember if you showed the other machines and I checked on them or not. I'm happy to check If you can put up some pictures of the other 4 machines (I realise they won't be in restored condition).

Cheers,

Camo

dennisk
13th October 2015, 03:07 AM
12" by 90" jointer,3 knife looks to be brass on steel like my bandsaw.Will find out this winter.
16" thickness planer 2 knife head, lots of gears and even a leather belt. This one will go
Horizontal mortiser, every thing slides and moves like a dream, a keeper even if I dont use it.
Shaper, with a ton of bits, I have no clue about all the pieces it came with, but its a keeper as well.361472361473361474361475No tags on anything, the mortiser is a bit rubegoldbergish but i love it and will build a proper mount for the motor,shaper is very solid , jointer doesnt have a rabbeting shelf or guard, but Henry had some wonderful ideas for those, and the thickness planer is pretty worn, the motor is underneath so have not seen that and the gears on one side and the belt on the other side make it too wide for where my planer sits anyway. 4 of 5 aint bad though, and there is a JTA as well, which Henry liked very much.

camoz
15th October 2015, 03:31 PM
Dennis,

Having a bit of a look at what I have (like I said, I don't have a lot on Dankaert unfortunately), not sure if any of these images hit the mark (always hard to tell without several photo angles):

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r754/woodworkforum/7FDEDB42-5654-4E37-849C-BE4468C4C768_zpsppa0pnt5.jpg (http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/woodworkforum/media/7FDEDB42-5654-4E37-849C-BE4468C4C768_zpsppa0pnt5.jpg.html)

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r754/woodworkforum/88B929EF-8A7A-49BD-B22C-C162BD1AA66F_zpskuhsi7rj.jpg (http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/woodworkforum/media/88B929EF-8A7A-49BD-B22C-C162BD1AA66F_zpskuhsi7rj.jpg.html)

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r754/woodworkforum/626C33B7-151C-479A-9C91-661AD98D3A03_zpsozpbrtr3.jpg (http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/woodworkforum/media/626C33B7-151C-479A-9C91-661AD98D3A03_zpsozpbrtr3.jpg.html)

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r754/woodworkforum/83BBDE74-C4E8-4B42-BC30-1AFC1D12CF79_zpsabcjpxld.jpg (http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/woodworkforum/media/83BBDE74-C4E8-4B42-BC30-1AFC1D12CF79_zpsabcjpxld.jpg.html)

Hope this is some help, looks like you might be missing a weighted lever on the Mortiser? Hard to see that jointer in your image, so not too sure on that one.

Cheers,

Camo

dennisk
17th October 2015, 12:40 AM
Thankyou sir.I think the mortiser is very close to mine, and there is a stub as you can see where the counterweighted arm would have gone. WOuld this have added mechanical advantage, do you think? Like I said , this thing still glides like glass, and it has been stored in the cold for years, although under cover. The shaper I have is similar, without a tilting table, unless Ive missed it. The planer is close, although all my gears are out in the open, so I would think mine is older.I do have a bit of a catalog now, but it is more modern than my tools. There are no dates on the brochure. Also there are no tags or numbers on any of the tools that I can see. Hmmm.

camoz
17th October 2015, 09:33 AM
WOuld this have added mechanical advantage, do you think?

To my eye it looks to be a return weight. Basically just means you don't have to push back, just pull down to plunge and then release.

Cheers,

Camo

dennisk
26th October 2015, 02:46 AM
Camo,I recently stumbled upon a site called Delcampe, and it seemed to have a nice catalog on danckaert, of course sold, but it looked nice.Do you know anything about them? Right about now I just want some pictures, dammit. I mentioned the one page catalog a friend picked up off of ebay,it helps but still too modern. Danckaert info=hens teeth? thx again

camoz
26th October 2015, 10:40 AM
Dennis,

Lots of sites to look for catalogues, there is no real place I can suggest to look, it's all about patients and persistence.

Your bandsaw seems to sit in an in between period for the catalogues I have come across, finding a Danckaert catalogue is not that hard, but based on what I have seen, the rarity will be in finding one that shows your bandsaw, but I'm sure there will be one out there.

Danckaert info=hens teeth? thx again

I know your pain...lol. Try looking for a Stenner catalogue showing the table saw I have, they must = hens teeth braces:U.

As far as catalogue price goes, when you find it, I don't think you will have to pay too much, like the Stenner, I don't think there are a lot of catalogue guys interested in these brands. The hard bit is just finding them.

Cheers,

Camo

hiroller
26th October 2015, 10:36 PM
Have you tried contacting Danckaert in the US?
They must have some info.
http://www.woodworkingb2b.com/Company/1030/Contact.htm